21 May 2010, 14:18
Benedict XVI thanks Patriarch Kirill for concert in Vatican
Moscow, May 21, Interfax – Pope Benedict XVI of Rome thanked Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia for the concert of Orthodox music that took place the day before in Vatican.
"First of all, I am deeply grateful to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill. I say sincere "thank you" to Metropolitan Hilarion for his greeting, his tireless work in the field of inter-Christian relations and his musical works appreciated by all today," the Pontific said closing the festival evening.
In his turn, Patriarch Kirill in his message read out by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk said that this "event is an important for the history of cultural exchange between our Churches," the DECR website reported on Friday.
The Primate especially stressed that first time in history three collectives: the Russian National Orchestra, Moscow Synodal Choir and St. Petersburg’s Horn Capella "have united under the domes of Paul VI Hall to perform music of Russian composers."
"Music is a special language that gives us an opportunity to communicate at the level of hearts. Music can convey emotions of human soul and spiritual states that words cannot describe," the message further reads.
Patriarch Kirill wished "God's help" to Benedict XVI, all guests and participants of the concert.
The concert is a joint project of the Moscow Patriarchate and Vatican. The idea was born last fall. With Patriarch Kirill's blessing, Metropolitan Hilarion met with the Pope of Rome on September 18, 2009. Special importance of cultural links between Catholics and Orthodox in preserving traditional Christian values was stressed at the meeting.
Then it was decided to carry out the Days of Russian spiritual culture in Rome in spring 2010. The concert of Russian music has become its central event.
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12