21 May 2010, 14:18
Benedict XVI thanks Patriarch Kirill for concert in Vatican
Moscow, May 21, Interfax – Pope Benedict XVI of Rome thanked Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia for the concert of Orthodox music that took place the day before in Vatican.
"First of all, I am deeply grateful to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill. I say sincere "thank you" to Metropolitan Hilarion for his greeting, his tireless work in the field of inter-Christian relations and his musical works appreciated by all today," the Pontific said closing the festival evening.
In his turn, Patriarch Kirill in his message read out by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk said that this "event is an important for the history of cultural exchange between our Churches," the DECR website reported on Friday.
The Primate especially stressed that first time in history three collectives: the Russian National Orchestra, Moscow Synodal Choir and St. Petersburg’s Horn Capella "have united under the domes of Paul VI Hall to perform music of Russian composers."
"Music is a special language that gives us an opportunity to communicate at the level of hearts. Music can convey emotions of human soul and spiritual states that words cannot describe," the message further reads.
Patriarch Kirill wished "God's help" to Benedict XVI, all guests and participants of the concert.
The concert is a joint project of the Moscow Patriarchate and Vatican. The idea was born last fall. With Patriarch Kirill's blessing, Metropolitan Hilarion met with the Pope of Rome on September 18, 2009. Special importance of cultural links between Catholics and Orthodox in preserving traditional Christian values was stressed at the meeting.
Then it was decided to carry out the Days of Russian spiritual culture in Rome in spring 2010. The concert of Russian music has become its central event.
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00
- Russian Jews launch a project Be free through vaccination 26 March 2021, 11:28
- Patriarch Kirill stresses importance of ensuring life without upheavals at memorial service on 220th anniversary of Emperor Pavel I's murder 25 March 2021, 10:00
- Jewish publishing house refuses to participate in a book fair as it falls on Passover 23 March 2021, 18:53
- Islamic radicals intensifying activity in Urals due to uncontrolled immigration - Patrushev 23 March 2021, 17:51
- Security Council secretary calls West's aspiration to push its norms, ideals, reforms on Russia dangerous 23 March 2021, 17:13
- A Muslim woman from the Moscow Region searches for a second wife for her husband 22 March 2021, 16:45
- Pashinyan believes revolution in Armenia was based on Christian values 22 March 2021, 13:55
- FBK lawyer Sobol attends church service in violation of conditions of her house arrest 22 March 2021, 10:00
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev found insane 19 March 2021, 13:57
- Memorial to Holocaust victims unveiled at Israeli embassy in Moscow 18 March 2021, 09:31
- Resident of St. Petersburg beats a muscovite to death as he took him for devilry 16 March 2021, 18:55
- Moscow Jewish museum organizes an exhibition about the Holocaust in PACE 16 March 2021, 14:28
- One in 8 Russians plan to observe Lent this year - poll 16 March 2021, 10:00