25 May 2010, 11:34
Russian Patriarch commends Grand Duchess's role in restoring church unity
Moscow, May 25, Interfax - Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill has expressed his condolences over the death of Grand Duchess Leonida Georgiyevna, the mother of the head of the Romanovs dynasty.
"We are grateful to the deceased Grand Duchess for her role in church life at home and abroad, and for her significant contribution to the restoration of church unity," Patriarch Kirill said in a condolence letter posted on the Moscow Patriarchate's website.
Grand Duchess Leonida Georgiyevna had never lost "the keenest interest in what was going on in Russia, and shared our grief and joy," he said.
"The Grand Duchess had lived an eventful, long and dramatic life, experiencing much suffering and many challenges. She however lived her life filled with love for Russia and devotion to the Holy Orthodox Church," the Russian Patriarch said.
Patriarch Kirill said he would always remember the meetings he had with the Grand Duchess, "especially the first one in 1991, when the royal couple arrived in St. Petersburg, and their last meeting in Smolensk."
Grand Duchess Leonida Georgiyevna died in Madrid overnight on Sunday at the age of 95. She was the widow of Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich Romanov, the great grandson of Russian Emperor Alexander II.
Leonida Georgiyevna will be buried at the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg, tentatively on June 3.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14