31 May 2010, 10:01
Russian Church supports ban on gay pride parade
Kronstadt, Leningrad region, May 31, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church welcomes solidarity between the government and society in rejecting sex minorities' attempts to hold a gay pride parade in Moscow.
"The Moscow city government's ban [on a gay pride parade] is based on full solidarity between the authorities and public opinion," Vladimir Legoyda, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate Information Department, told Interfax-Religion.
This public opinion has been expressed "many times and in various forms" and suggests "open rejection by the entire society of this fringe position" that the sexual minorities are trying to declare by holding their action and which "has deserved absolutely unambiguous moral evaluation," Legoyda said.
The attempts to hold a gay pride parade in Moscow are "among actions challenging traditional values, on the basis of which our society has been built, and the values of traditional religions, which view people's deeds in the categories of sin and virtue," he said.
"This is just another attempt to erode the clear borderlines between the good and the evil," he said.
Members of various the Moscow Muslim Ummah, some Protestant and Buddhist organizations, spoke against sexual minorities' plans to hold demonstrations in Moscow.
The organizers of a Moscow gay pride parade claimed that they had marched along Leningradsky Avenue from the Belorusskaya to the Dynamo subway station on Saturday and none of the marchers was detained.
About 30 activists were taking part in the march, among them European Parliament members from Germany and guests from the U.S.
Police appeared at the scene of the unsanctioned march ten minutes after it started.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56