28 June 2010, 18:20
Claimant to Russian throne disputes authenticity of alleged royal remains
Moscow, June 28, Interfax - Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, a claimant to the headship of Russian Imperial House, still wants proof that the alleged remains of the country's last royal family unearthed in the Ural area in 1991 and 2007 really were body fragments of Tsar Nicholas II, his wife and their children, her spokesman said on Monday.
"The head of the Russian Imperial House has a right to know who is buried next to her ancestors in the necropolis of the Romanovs House [at the Cathedral of Sts Peter and Paul in St. Petersburg]. She demands complete information on the circumstances of the execution of her relatives," Alexander Zakatov said in a statement.
The authenticity of the remains is still questioned by scientists, and Maria Vladimirovna, whose claim to the virtual throne is disputed by other Romanovs, "fully supports the position of the Russian Orthodox Church, which can see no reason today to accept those remains as relics of the holy royal martyrs," Zakatov said.
Official reports said investigations ordered by the Russian Office of the Prosecutor General had confirmed that human remains found by the side of the Staraya Koptyakovskaya Road near Yekaterinburg in July 1991 were those of Nicholas II and members of his family and retinue. The finds reportedly included no remains of Nicholas' son Alexey and daughter Maria.
The remains dug out in 1991 were ceremonially buried at the Cathedral of Sts Peter and Paul on July 17, 1998, the 80th anniversary of the execution of the royal family and members of their entourage by a Bolshevik firing squad.
Fragments of two other bodies with marks of violent death were found near the Staraya Koptyakovskaya Road in July 2007. DNA tests were said to have proved that the remains were those of Alexey and Maria.
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32