28 June 2010, 18:20
Claimant to Russian throne disputes authenticity of alleged royal remains
Moscow, June 28, Interfax - Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, a claimant to the headship of Russian Imperial House, still wants proof that the alleged remains of the country's last royal family unearthed in the Ural area in 1991 and 2007 really were body fragments of Tsar Nicholas II, his wife and their children, her spokesman said on Monday.
"The head of the Russian Imperial House has a right to know who is buried next to her ancestors in the necropolis of the Romanovs House [at the Cathedral of Sts Peter and Paul in St. Petersburg]. She demands complete information on the circumstances of the execution of her relatives," Alexander Zakatov said in a statement.
The authenticity of the remains is still questioned by scientists, and Maria Vladimirovna, whose claim to the virtual throne is disputed by other Romanovs, "fully supports the position of the Russian Orthodox Church, which can see no reason today to accept those remains as relics of the holy royal martyrs," Zakatov said.
Official reports said investigations ordered by the Russian Office of the Prosecutor General had confirmed that human remains found by the side of the Staraya Koptyakovskaya Road near Yekaterinburg in July 1991 were those of Nicholas II and members of his family and retinue. The finds reportedly included no remains of Nicholas' son Alexey and daughter Maria.
The remains dug out in 1991 were ceremonially buried at the Cathedral of Sts Peter and Paul on July 17, 1998, the 80th anniversary of the execution of the royal family and members of their entourage by a Bolshevik firing squad.
Fragments of two other bodies with marks of violent death were found near the Staraya Koptyakovskaya Road in July 2007. DNA tests were said to have proved that the remains were those of Alexey and Maria.
- Pope Francis dealing with issue of release of Ukrainian national guardsman convicted in Italy - Zelensky 05 June 2020, 20:52
- Yakutsk City Court finds hospitalization of shaman Gabyshev legal 05 June 2020, 19:47
- Rabbi Lazar believes 'difficulties' not a Kosher notion 05 June 2020, 12:37
- Crimea court increases sentence earlier handed to a Jehovah's Witness, replacing fine with six years in jail 05 June 2020, 10:00
- Ukraine to allow church services indoors on June 5 03 June 2020, 15:39
- Case involving organization of Jehovah's Witnesses group being investigated in Moscow Region 03 June 2020, 13:47
- Shaman Gabyshev involuntarily committed for indefinite period - rights activists 02 June 2020, 19:40
- World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language 02 June 2020, 18:27
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 (updated) 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22