28 June 2010, 18:20
Claimant to Russian throne disputes authenticity of alleged royal remains
Moscow, June 28, Interfax - Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, a claimant to the headship of Russian Imperial House, still wants proof that the alleged remains of the country's last royal family unearthed in the Ural area in 1991 and 2007 really were body fragments of Tsar Nicholas II, his wife and their children, her spokesman said on Monday.
"The head of the Russian Imperial House has a right to know who is buried next to her ancestors in the necropolis of the Romanovs House [at the Cathedral of Sts Peter and Paul in St. Petersburg]. She demands complete information on the circumstances of the execution of her relatives," Alexander Zakatov said in a statement.
The authenticity of the remains is still questioned by scientists, and Maria Vladimirovna, whose claim to the virtual throne is disputed by other Romanovs, "fully supports the position of the Russian Orthodox Church, which can see no reason today to accept those remains as relics of the holy royal martyrs," Zakatov said.
Official reports said investigations ordered by the Russian Office of the Prosecutor General had confirmed that human remains found by the side of the Staraya Koptyakovskaya Road near Yekaterinburg in July 1991 were those of Nicholas II and members of his family and retinue. The finds reportedly included no remains of Nicholas' son Alexey and daughter Maria.
The remains dug out in 1991 were ceremonially buried at the Cathedral of Sts Peter and Paul on July 17, 1998, the 80th anniversary of the execution of the royal family and members of their entourage by a Bolshevik firing squad.
Fragments of two other bodies with marks of violent death were found near the Staraya Koptyakovskaya Road in July 2007. DNA tests were said to have proved that the remains were those of Alexey and Maria.
- Seventeen clandestine ISIL cells uncovered in Russia in 2019 17 September 2019, 18:06
- Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country 17 September 2019, 18:04
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28