28 June 2010, 18:20
Claimant to Russian throne disputes authenticity of alleged royal remains
Moscow, June 28, Interfax - Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, a claimant to the headship of Russian Imperial House, still wants proof that the alleged remains of the country's last royal family unearthed in the Ural area in 1991 and 2007 really were body fragments of Tsar Nicholas II, his wife and their children, her spokesman said on Monday.
"The head of the Russian Imperial House has a right to know who is buried next to her ancestors in the necropolis of the Romanovs House [at the Cathedral of Sts Peter and Paul in St. Petersburg]. She demands complete information on the circumstances of the execution of her relatives," Alexander Zakatov said in a statement.
The authenticity of the remains is still questioned by scientists, and Maria Vladimirovna, whose claim to the virtual throne is disputed by other Romanovs, "fully supports the position of the Russian Orthodox Church, which can see no reason today to accept those remains as relics of the holy royal martyrs," Zakatov said.
Official reports said investigations ordered by the Russian Office of the Prosecutor General had confirmed that human remains found by the side of the Staraya Koptyakovskaya Road near Yekaterinburg in July 1991 were those of Nicholas II and members of his family and retinue. The finds reportedly included no remains of Nicholas' son Alexey and daughter Maria.
The remains dug out in 1991 were ceremonially buried at the Cathedral of Sts Peter and Paul on July 17, 1998, the 80th anniversary of the execution of the royal family and members of their entourage by a Bolshevik firing squad.
Fragments of two other bodies with marks of violent death were found near the Staraya Koptyakovskaya Road in July 2007. DNA tests were said to have proved that the remains were those of Alexey and Maria.
- Poroshenko advises radicals against seizing Moscow Patriarchate's churches 19 December 2018, 12:07
- Kremlin to look at every individual case where members of religious groups face criminal prosecution 19 December 2018, 11:34
- Ukrainian Security Service wants to question Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra's vicar 19 December 2018, 11:32
- Vatican's embassy denies having recognized new Ukrainian church 19 December 2018, 11:27
- Poroshenko Bloc suggests creating working group to draft church bills 18 December 2018, 19:19
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church should be declared branch of Russian Orthodox Church - ex-president Yushchenko 18 December 2018, 19:16
- UOC denies reports that its Synod excommunicates two metropolitans 18 December 2018, 17:30
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc demands Poroshenko declassify text of agreement with Bartholomew 18 December 2018, 12:14
- Ukrainian parliamentary speaker invites Patriarch Bartholomew to speak before Rada 17 December 2018, 19:11
- UOC Synod accuses Constantinople of deepening schism in Ukraine 17 December 2018, 19:09
- UOC Synod bans 2 of its metropolitans who attended unification assembly from religious service 17 December 2018, 19:05
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church declares itself true Сhurch in Ukraine 17 December 2018, 18:46
- Kremlin refrains from intervening in church affairs in Ukraine, sees politics behind schismatic activities - Peskov 17 December 2018, 18:39
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news 15 December 2018, 20:27
- Election of leader of "single local church" in Ukraine means nothing - Russian Orthodox Church 15 December 2018, 20:11
- Poroshenko to travel with Metropolitan Epiphany to collect Constantinople's tomos in person 15 December 2018, 20:06
- Metropolitan Epiphany of "Kiev Patriarchate" elected as leader of "local Orthodox church" in Ukraine 15 December 2018, 18:39
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14