06 July 2010, 16:34
Banned Art organizers should be punished with full rigor of law, renowned Russian artist believes
*** He urges to severely punish for mockery against religious feelings
Moscow, July 6, Interfax - People's artist of the USSR, member of the Russian Academy of Arts Ilya Glazunov stands for strict punishment for organizers of the Banned Art 2006 exhibit.
"As to the sentence, we need to apply full rigor of law," Glazunov told Interfax-Religion on Tuesday.
According to him, each artist has right on "creative development in art." However, the interviewee of the agency believes, "mockery against religious feelings of all peoples worldwide should be severely punished, if we speak about Russia - mockery against Orthodoxy in particular."
Glazunov confesses that he understands Muslims' indignation and "their wish to punish Danish artist who drew Prophet Mohammed's caricature."
He believes the state "should administer not only economic processes in the country, but express concerns with displays of art, which are unacceptable for the majority of people and lead to xenophobia and blast of religious and ethnic feelings of a nation."
Trial against the Banned Art 2006 organizers ex-director of the Andrey Sakharov museum and public center Yury Samodurov and ex-head of the Tretyakov Gallery's modern trends department Andrey Yerofeyev will take place on July 12. Prosecutors requested that they should be sentenced to three years in jail for inciting enmity.
The indictment says that the exhibit displayed works "carrying humiliating and insulting images hostile to the Christian religion and believers." The criminal case against the organizers was initiated according to Article 282 (inciting hatred or enmity).
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00
- The Kremlin called Ukraine part of the Russian world 08 February 2021, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for blocking social networks over foul language 08 February 2021, 12:59
- Yekaterinburg Diocese denies rumors about intention to 'storm' Sredneuralsky Convent 05 February 2021, 15:16
- Yakutsk City Court upholds motion for shaman Gabyshev's commitment to psychiatric hospital 02 February 2021, 20:36