19 July 2010, 12:31
Patriarch Kirill agrees with Pope on many issues
Moscow, July 19, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has said that he sees eye-to-eye with Pope Benedict XVI on many pressing moral issues.
"I must say that the stance of incumbent Pope Benedict XVI gives rise to optimism," he said in an interview with Ukrainian media ahead of his visit to the country.
He reminded reporters that the Pope is often criticized by "liberal theologians and liberal mass media in the West" for his views.
"However, on many public and moral issues his approach fully coincides with the approach of the Russian Orthodox Church. This gives us an opportunity to advocate Christian values together with the Catholic Church, in particular at international organizations and on the international arena," he said.
At he same time he recognized "very dangerous phenomena" in contemporary Protestantism when Christians "let sinful elements of the world enter their internal world and justify these elements, if they are offered by secular society" and as a result "secular philosophical liberal stock phrases are repeated within Protestant Churches and take root in religious thinking."
It is in this way that the theme of women clergy appeared in the West when "the secular notion of human rights was incorporated in theology, in church practices," he said.
"Another similar issue is the attitude to homosexuality. The word of God is distorted to please the secular liberal standard. It is written in black and white that it is a sin," he said.
- Putin kisses relics of St. Nicholas Miracle-Maker 24 May 2017, 22:55
- Putin expresses gratitude to pope for permission to bring St. Nicholas' relics to Russia 24 May 2017, 22:51
- Putin meets with Coptic patriarch Tawadros II 24 May 2017, 22:50
- Putin, Medvedev visit Patriarch Kirill to offer name day congratulations 24 May 2017, 22:48
- Russian Cossacks will help Syrians preserve their Christian heritage 24 May 2017, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Kyrgyzstan 24 May 2017, 17:08
- Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution 24 May 2017, 15:12
- The Federation of Jewish Community of Russia criticizes Ukrainian political circles for heroizing Nazi symbols 24 May 2017, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill sends early icon of Saint Nicholas to Pope Francis 23 May 2017, 15:19
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christians of different confessions will unite in one Church again 22 May 2017, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls St. Nicholas the Wonderworker saint number one for Russia 22 May 2017, 11:03
- Thousands believers met St. Nicholas relics in the Cathedral pf Christ the Savior 22 May 2017, 10:44
- St. Nicholas' relics delivered to Moscow 21 May 2017, 17:08
- Head of Belarusian Orthodox Church addresses Poroshenko regarding 'anti-Orthodox' laws 19 May 2017, 19:00
- Georgian priest accused of attempted murder refuses to attend his trial behind closed doors 19 May 2017, 17:18
- Ukrainian Foreign Ministry denies that ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding church bills 19 May 2017, 16:06
- Ukrainian ambassador summoned to Vatican regarding Rada's intention to pass bills on status of church organizations 19 May 2017, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill asks not to give him flowers on his name day, but to fundraise for suffering Syrian people 18 May 2017, 18:38
- Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine thanks participants in prayer at Verkhovnaya Rada building 18 May 2017, 18:37
- Kremlin says disrespect for interests of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine unacceptable 18 May 2017, 17:18
- Moldovan president objects to LGBT march in Chisinau 18 May 2017, 16:27
- Blocking of Russian online media in Ukraine, attacks on Church suggest that Kiev is under influence of radicals – Lavrov 18 May 2017, 16:25
- Ukrainian parliament not to hear church bills on Thursday - Poroshenko Bloc 18 May 2017, 12:22
- Priests, flock of Ukrainian Orthodox Church rally in front of Ukrainian parliament against bill on 'special status' of their church 18 May 2017, 12:17
- World Council of Churches head calls on Poroshenko to withdraw bills "detrimental" to Ukrainian Orthodox Church 18 May 2017, 12:04
- Russia - Islamic World group seeking consultative status with UN 18 May 2017, 10:33
- Cathedrals of the Chudov Monastery won't be restored in Kremlin 17 May 2017, 18:41
- Patriarch Kirill calls for prevention of adoption in Ukraine of laws aimed against Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 May 2017, 18:22