20 July 2010, 13:16
EU leaders to cooperate more actively with religious organizations
Brussels, July 20 Interfax - European Union leaders state they are ready to a closer dialogue with religious organizations, especially in settling social problems.
Speaking at the meeting of the EU leaders with religious leaders held in Brussels, President of the European Parliament Jerzy Buzek said that they appointed vice-president of the European Parliament responsible for interaction with religious organizations.
Besides, Buzek will soon discuss concrete mechanisms of interaction with representatives of different churches and decide on setting up a special service responsible for religious dialogue.
Buzek pointed out that the Lisbon Treaty foresees in its Art 17 that the Union maintains an "open, transparent and regular dialogue" with religion, churches and communities of conviction.
"Churches and religious communities are important providers of social services in EU member states. If we want to combat poverty effectively, it is essential to draw from their long standing and wide raging experience," President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso said.
Herman Van Rompuy, the President of the European Council said Churches initiatives in social sphere should be considered. According to him, the main issue of combating poverty "is also, in essence, willing to restore human dignity, the dignity of both men and women and that is why societal, cultural and ethical questions should also be taken into account."
Acting representative of the Russian Church to European International Organizations Antony Ilyin mentioned that United Europe should became a dialogue based community, based on partnership between EU institutions and traditional religious organizations.
He put his particular attention to the importance of fighting against poverty and social exclusion in the context of EU neighborhood policy especially regarding countries which belong to the so-called Eastern Partnership and asked EU leadership to take into account Orthodox identity of those counties and their people who are spiritually linked to the Moscow Patriarchate.
The Brussels meeting was the sixth in a series of annual meetings launched by President Barroso in 2005. Over twenty senior representatives from the Christian, Jewish, Muslim and other religions from 14 European countries participated in it. They discussed effective ways of combating poverty and social exclusion as an imperative for European governance.
- Christ the Savior Cathedral "mined" the third time in a few days 09 December 2019, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mayor Sobyanin to help restore Orthodox Church in America's representation church in Moscow 06 December 2019, 18:51
- Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives 2nd bomb threat this week 06 December 2019, 12:41
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06
- Russian Orthodox Church cautions against combating domestic violence with Western methods 25 November 2019, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill suspends operation of Alexandria Patriarchate's Moscow mission 25 November 2019, 11:35
- Meeting between heads of Churches important in crisis in inter-Orthodox relations - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 November 2019, 15:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50