20 July 2010, 13:16
EU leaders to cooperate more actively with religious organizations
Brussels, July 20 Interfax - European Union leaders state they are ready to a closer dialogue with religious organizations, especially in settling social problems.
Speaking at the meeting of the EU leaders with religious leaders held in Brussels, President of the European Parliament Jerzy Buzek said that they appointed vice-president of the European Parliament responsible for interaction with religious organizations.
Besides, Buzek will soon discuss concrete mechanisms of interaction with representatives of different churches and decide on setting up a special service responsible for religious dialogue.
Buzek pointed out that the Lisbon Treaty foresees in its Art 17 that the Union maintains an "open, transparent and regular dialogue" with religion, churches and communities of conviction.
"Churches and religious communities are important providers of social services in EU member states. If we want to combat poverty effectively, it is essential to draw from their long standing and wide raging experience," President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso said.
Herman Van Rompuy, the President of the European Council said Churches initiatives in social sphere should be considered. According to him, the main issue of combating poverty "is also, in essence, willing to restore human dignity, the dignity of both men and women and that is why societal, cultural and ethical questions should also be taken into account."
Acting representative of the Russian Church to European International Organizations Antony Ilyin mentioned that United Europe should became a dialogue based community, based on partnership between EU institutions and traditional religious organizations.
He put his particular attention to the importance of fighting against poverty and social exclusion in the context of EU neighborhood policy especially regarding countries which belong to the so-called Eastern Partnership and asked EU leadership to take into account Orthodox identity of those counties and their people who are spiritually linked to the Moscow Patriarchate.
The Brussels meeting was the sixth in a series of annual meetings launched by President Barroso in 2005. Over twenty senior representatives from the Christian, Jewish, Muslim and other religions from 14 European countries participated in it. They discussed effective ways of combating poverty and social exclusion as an imperative for European governance.
- Lawyer German Lukyanov who helped exonerate Nicholas II passes away 20 May 2022, 10:37
- The cathedral of Russian Church desecrated in Vilnius 19 May 2022, 20:14
- Putin's decision on Ukraine operation 'moral choice,' not geopolitics - top Kremlin official 19 May 2022, 20:08
- Duma committee supports bill banning foreigners from using surrogate mother services in Russia 19 May 2022, 15:54
- ROCOR first hierarch to be buried in Jordanville, New York, on May 22 18 May 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill offers Russia renewed understanding of sovereignty based on traditional values, without looking back to West 18 May 2022, 10:09
- Patriarch Kirill proposes stripping private clinics of right to receive female patients for abortions 17 May 2022, 19:49
- Patriarch Kirill describes 'abolition' of Russian culture in West as insane 17 May 2022, 16:27
- Patrushev blames the West of striving to achieve spiritual and moral degradation of Russia 17 May 2022, 16:22
- Patriarch Kirill calls for observance of humanitarian law in areas of special operation in Ukraine, Donbass 17 May 2022, 16:19
- First Hierarch of ROCOR Metropolitan Hilarion passes away 17 May 2022, 11:06
- Patriarch Kirill calls Orban one of few European politicians who stands up for Christian values 16 May 2022, 21:37
- The Russian Church declares a negative attitude to computer games 16 May 2022, 15:44
- Russian experts record more than 70 attacks on churches of UOC by the Ukrainian side 16 May 2022, 15:37
- The Synod of Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks Zelensky to put an end to her oppression 12 May 2022, 17:27
- Jehovah's Witnesses member in Nizhny Novgorod given 6-year suspended sentence 12 May 2022, 11:23
- Sanctions against Patriarch Kirill will not affect his activities in any way – Russian Church 10 May 2022, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill describes Russia as self-sufficient country which doesn't want to harm anyone 08 May 2022, 17:15
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to pray for Russia to be protected from external, internal enemies 06 May 2022, 14:26
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says bans on its activities imposed by local authorities have no legal force 06 May 2022, 12:06
- Russia to hold consultations with Hamas on situation around Al-Aqsa 05 May 2022, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill can't be scared with sanctions - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 16:01
- Pope Francis' recount of conversation with Patriarch Kirill incorrect - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 15:38
- Russian Orthodox Church asks to use its potential in opening humanitarian corridors in special operation zone 04 May 2022, 14:47
- No agreement on Putin's meeting with Pontiff – Peskov 04 May 2022, 14:10
- Russia never attacked anyone, always protected its borders - Patriarch Kirill 04 May 2022, 12:10
- Russian Orthodox Church indicates interest in achievement of lasting peace in Ukraine 29 April 2022, 16:44
- The Russian Church' speaker calls the "culture of cancellation" a self-reprimand of civilization 29 April 2022, 12:46
- The Russian Foreign Ministry advised Washington to take care of religious freedoms in the United States 29 April 2022, 12:39
- Serbian patriarch assures Patriarch Kirill of support of Russian Orthodox Church amid Ukraine crisis 27 April 2022, 22:26