23 July 2010, 12:51
Patriarch Kirill believes official atheism in Europe will lead to ghetto of religious fanatics
Odessa (Ukraine), July 23, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia believes that present-day struggle of European authorities against religion under slogan of secularity will have a dangerous outcome.
"Even now we see how formation of a multicultural atheistic world make ghetto of religious fanatics appear," Patriarch Kirill said on Thursday at his meeting with public figures in the Odessa National Opera and Ballet Theatre.
According to him, people look at such fanatics with reproof, while they "declare to the whole world: we don't want to live in this society, we don't agree with it, we're forming our own community. Don't come to us, we have gasolene bombs, we'll burn down all your cars, destroy all your trains - you won't find it funny."
The Patriarch sees significant danger in the "model of future" chosen by certain European countries when "multicultural society is built on non-religious basis and religion is to play only external role, like ideology it is declared external part of person's self-identification.
Patriarch Kirill believes it will result in "building up an atheistic society."
"It's impossible to balance inter-religious and intercultural relations by way of denying religious heritage. We all know that when religion is excluded from social life, then morals, moral component is also excluded and people often lose their human image," the Primate said.
At the same time he believe it is possible to avoid such extremes in social relations.
"Only when people live according to laws of love, all interreligious and international relations are in harmony, the world becomes different. While all attempts to artificially internationalize people or to preserve religious identity in hostile ghettos won't solve the question," Patriarch Kirill said.
- Five men suspected of setting fire to churches in Tatarstan turn out to be Islamists 12 December 2013, 17:01
- Yanukovich invites reps of all political forces, clergy to have dialog 12 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia arrests presumed Hizb ut-Tahrir envoy 11 December 2013, 10:02
- Believers have right to influence public processes, state - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 11 December 2013, 10:00
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Amnesty could apply to Pussy Riot members - newspaper 10 December 2013, 10:01
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- It is unacceptable for constitution to give preference to any one faith - Russian premier 06 December 2013, 16:09
- Deputy Milonov proposes easing receipt of Russian citizenship for "spiritually insulted" Europeans 04 December 2013, 15:49
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Catholic priest suspected of high treason released from Belarusian KGB cell pending trial - Apostolic Nunciature 04 December 2013, 14:23
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Lawyer: Russian priest accused of pedophilia remains in Israel 04 December 2013, 10:10
- Russians still trust president, Church the most - poll 04 December 2013, 10:09
- Conflicts on former Soviet soil should be settled peacefully - Russian Church 03 December 2013, 15:28
- Muslim organization leader appointed head of new Kazakh movement 03 December 2013, 14:39
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin calls for fight against destructive sects 02 December 2013, 17:43
- Reward pledged in Tatarstan for info on church arsonists 02 December 2013, 17:24
- Orthodox Christians to hold sacred procession in Kiev 02 December 2013, 13:51
- Religious organization in Taganrog illegally treated drug-dependent people 02 December 2013, 10:18
- The Bible will be translated into modern Russian language 02 December 2013, 10:17
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church condemn Maidan dispersal 02 December 2013, 10:11
- FEMEN activist strips near Kiev Laura of the Caves against dictatorship 02 December 2013, 10:09
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin advises Orthodox countries not to adopt Western democracy models 29 November 2013, 10:05
- Minaret built in Georgian village at night 29 November 2013, 10:03
- Hizb ut-Tahrir recruiter detained in Kyrgyzstan 28 November 2013, 12:03
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- 15 At Takfir Wal-Hijra members detained in Moscow - Interior Ministry 27 November 2013, 10:24