23 July 2010, 12:51
Patriarch Kirill believes official atheism in Europe will lead to ghetto of religious fanatics
Odessa (Ukraine), July 23, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia believes that present-day struggle of European authorities against religion under slogan of secularity will have a dangerous outcome.
"Even now we see how formation of a multicultural atheistic world make ghetto of religious fanatics appear," Patriarch Kirill said on Thursday at his meeting with public figures in the Odessa National Opera and Ballet Theatre.
According to him, people look at such fanatics with reproof, while they "declare to the whole world: we don't want to live in this society, we don't agree with it, we're forming our own community. Don't come to us, we have gasolene bombs, we'll burn down all your cars, destroy all your trains - you won't find it funny."
The Patriarch sees significant danger in the "model of future" chosen by certain European countries when "multicultural society is built on non-religious basis and religion is to play only external role, like ideology it is declared external part of person's self-identification.
Patriarch Kirill believes it will result in "building up an atheistic society."
"It's impossible to balance inter-religious and intercultural relations by way of denying religious heritage. We all know that when religion is excluded from social life, then morals, moral component is also excluded and people often lose their human image," the Primate said.
At the same time he believe it is possible to avoid such extremes in social relations.
"Only when people live according to laws of love, all interreligious and international relations are in harmony, the world becomes different. While all attempts to artificially internationalize people or to preserve religious identity in hostile ghettos won't solve the question," Patriarch Kirill said.
- Russian Foreign Ministry says U.S. State Department's religious freedom report politicized 24 May 2013, 10:00
- Court bans gay pride parades in Kiev on May 25 (updated) 23 May 2013, 21:09
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48
- Priests should return to Chinese Orthodox churches - Moscow Patriarchate 16 May 2013, 14:08