26 July 2010, 12:16
Patriarch Kirill made doctor honoris causa by Odessa National Academy of Law
Odessa, July 23, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia during his pastoral visit to Ukraine was made doctor honoris causa of the Odessa National Academy of Law.
The Patriarch received a doctoral certificate on Thursday at the ceremonial session of the Academic Council. After the choir chanted Gaudeamus, the Academy Rector Sergey Kivalov handed over a doctor diploma to the Patriarch, then the Primate was symbolically dressed in a maroon doctoral gown and tam with golden fringe.
The degree of doctor honoris causa was conferred upon Patriarch Kirill "in acknowledgement of the pastoral work he has carried out for many years to form the moral principles of Slavic nations and to promote symphony in relations between church and state". Kivalov noted that the Patriarch is "a guide not only for believers, but for million of people who measure their whole life with Slavic culture and Slavic traditions."
The Academy Rector told the Patriarch that many students from the Western Ukraine are studying in it and after the second course they start speaking very good Russian, even those who spoke only Ukrainian before.
Patriarch Kirill thanked scientific corporation for giving him the doctor degree and in brief address to lawyers urged them to remember that law is "a method to protect moral values."
"Today the motion of sin is often melted and the motion of choice, multitude of views and approaches, is suggested. However, the law should stand for moral feeling, moral state of the society," the Patriarch believes.
After the ceremony the Primate visited St. Tatiana Chapel at the Odessa National Academy of Law - the first in Ukraine student church.
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29
- Patriarch Kirill sends priest to Istanbul to care for Russian believers after severance of relations with Constantinople 12 November 2018, 13:25
- Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media 09 November 2018, 17:20
- Lugansk Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 09 November 2018, 10:59
- Rector of Moscow Theological Academy added to Mirotvorets database (updated) 08 November 2018, 18:11
- Ukraine's border service comments on denial of entry to rector of Moscow Theological Academy 08 November 2018, 16:09
- Poroshenko ignored millions of Ukrainians in statement on Russian Orthodox Church's place - Moscow Patriarchate 08 November 2018, 14:58
- Moscow Theological Academy rector barred from Ukraine 08 November 2018, 11:10
- Moscow Patriarchate says Church Poroshenko offered to return 'home to Russia' consists of Ukrainian citizens 08 November 2018, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses President Poroshenko of breaking Ukrainian constitution which guarantees church protection 08 November 2018, 10:55
- Activity of radical youth groups sharply increases in Russia - FSB 07 November 2018, 18:56
- Poroshenko signs law on transferring church in Kiev to Ecumenical Patriarchate 07 November 2018, 18:03
- Russian Orthodox Church has no business in Ukraine – Poroshenko 07 November 2018, 14:45
- Russian Church considers opening of additional parishes abroad for its believers in regard of break with Constantinople 06 November 2018, 11:52
- A new science of destructology appears in Russia 06 November 2018, 11:35
- Russian Church doubtful the mental health of Constantinople representative who announced the revision of the ROC's current status 06 November 2018, 11:09
- Ukrainian Church recalls Constantinople that he doesn't exist for more than 500 years 06 November 2018, 10:49