26 July 2010, 12:16
Patriarch Kirill made doctor honoris causa by Odessa National Academy of Law
Odessa, July 23, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia during his pastoral visit to Ukraine was made doctor honoris causa of the Odessa National Academy of Law.
The Patriarch received a doctoral certificate on Thursday at the ceremonial session of the Academic Council. After the choir chanted Gaudeamus, the Academy Rector Sergey Kivalov handed over a doctor diploma to the Patriarch, then the Primate was symbolically dressed in a maroon doctoral gown and tam with golden fringe.
The degree of doctor honoris causa was conferred upon Patriarch Kirill "in acknowledgement of the pastoral work he has carried out for many years to form the moral principles of Slavic nations and to promote symphony in relations between church and state". Kivalov noted that the Patriarch is "a guide not only for believers, but for million of people who measure their whole life with Slavic culture and Slavic traditions."
The Academy Rector told the Patriarch that many students from the Western Ukraine are studying in it and after the second course they start speaking very good Russian, even those who spoke only Ukrainian before.
Patriarch Kirill thanked scientific corporation for giving him the doctor degree and in brief address to lawyers urged them to remember that law is "a method to protect moral values."
"Today the motion of sin is often melted and the motion of choice, multitude of views and approaches, is suggested. However, the law should stand for moral feeling, moral state of the society," the Patriarch believes.
After the ceremony the Primate visited St. Tatiana Chapel at the Odessa National Academy of Law - the first in Ukraine student church.
- Russian Church reports a daily increase in the number of its parishes in Africa 26 January 2022, 10:12
- Russian delegation to PACE rejects accusations that LGBT people harassed in Chechnya 25 January 2022, 14:43
- Russian Church tightens coronavirus-related restrictions at Moscow churches 24 January 2022, 17:11
- House of Romanov hails Russian Orthodox Church's plans to recognize authenticity of 'Yekaterinburg remains' 24 January 2022, 10:03
- Nothing hinders recognition of authenticity of royal family's remains - Russian Orthodox Church member 24 January 2022, 10:00
- Christmas parliamentary meetings postponed indefinitely due to coronavirus situation 21 January 2022, 17:53
- Former Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg died at the age of 92 19 January 2022, 20:35
- Putin didn't take Epiphany ice plunge this year 19 January 2022, 13:35
- State Duma passes bill on life sentence for pedophiles 18 January 2022, 18:18
- Anti-Semitism is on the rise in Germany - Deputy Ambassador 18 January 2022, 18:16
- The head of Yakutia took part in Epiphany bathing in a 40-degree frost 18 January 2022, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill admitted that part of the world Orthodoxy will go into schism 18 January 2022, 18:05
- Death penalty impossible in Russia - State Duma committee head 12 January 2022, 15:46
- Russian Orthodox Church works out a program of comprehensive presence in Africa 12 January 2022, 15:01
- Kazakh president urges preventing merger of criminality, religious extremism 11 January 2022, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox Church against lifting moratorium on death penalty 08 January 2022, 19:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Covid-19 pandemic will be over 07 January 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peace in Kazakhstan at Christmas service 07 January 2022, 19:26
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about the shortsightedness of politicians who speak to Russia from a position of strength 07 January 2022, 12:59
- Putin notes moral significance of Christmas 07 January 2022, 10:25
- Russian Orthodox Church sets up Patriarchal Exarchate of Africa 30 December 2021, 10:00
- Russian Church admits over 100 Patriarchate of Alexandria clerics as its members (updated) 29 December 2021, 17:56
- Russian govt orders monitoring of violations of citizens' rights along ethnic, religious lines 29 December 2021, 12:23
- Russian Church considers the long-term isolation of criminals no less effective than death penalty 29 December 2021, 11:30
- Russia not to reinstate death penalty in coming years - Presidential Human Rights Council member 29 December 2021, 11:14
- Group for protection of Christian values created at State Duma 29 December 2021, 11:12
- FJCR considers departure from traditional values the main reason for demographic decline of Jewish population after the war 27 December 2021, 12:14
- FJCR believes that mutual assistance has become the main social trend of 2021 27 December 2021, 12:03
- The head of the Russian Investigative Committee discussed the importance of spirituality in life and work with Mireille Mathieu 27 December 2021, 11:58
- Patriarch Kirill believes that modern cinema promotes the upbringing of an "old" person 27 December 2021, 11:54