04 August 2010, 12:09
Most well-known rocker priest in Russia turns 50 today
Moscow, August 4 Interfax - A well-known Orthodox missionary and rector of the Moscow church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit at the former Lazarevskoye cemetery and the Church of All Moscow Saints located in Bibirevo district Hegumen Sergy (Rybko) celebrates his 50th birthday this Wednesday.
Father Sergy widely known for his preaching among nonconformist young people took the monastic vows at the age of 30 in the Optina Pustyn Monastery. According to him, it was his interest in Russian rock music that helped him to find his own way to Church.
"In my younger years when we lived behind the "iron curtain", where the stagnation philosophy was the only true doctrine, rock musicians were the only ones to tell people the truth. Rock music made people think and start seeking God's truth," Father Sergy confessed at a recent celebration concert dedicated to the 30th anniversary of Voskresenie group held at the Luzhniki Stadium.
Father Sergy often uses rock concerts to preach to young people. Besides, he organized a rock club named after St. Xenia of Petersburg at one of the Moscow churches which brought together Orthodox nonconformists of Moscow. As an Orthodox missionary, Father Sergy often meets foreign and Russian rock stars. Recently, he presented the Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir to the Deep Purple frontman Ian Gillan during Rock on the Volga festival held in Samara.
Patriarch Alexy II rewarded Father Sergy (Rybko) for his successful missionary work among young people.
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin is displeased with West desire to lecture Russia and throw it to the East 05 March 2015, 14:03
- Key Orthodox church of Luhansk Region damaged by shelling 05 March 2015, 11:15
- Chechen drug addicts repent in mosque in front of Kadyrov, promise to quit 05 March 2015, 10:03
- Georgian patriarch didn't send Saakashvili request to return - patriarchate 05 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Security Council secretary: ISIS is fine-tuning ties with militants in N. Caucasus 05 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of Islamists planning terrorist attacks held in Azerbaijan 05 March 2015, 10:00
- People observing fast do not care for sanctions - Mufti Tajuddin 04 March 2015, 14:25
- Pope's state secretary meets Belarusian president, Church leader 04 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Supreme Court rejects appeal against Pussy Riot verdict 04 March 2015, 10:01
- Group of female Hizb ut-Tahrir followers caught in Bishkek 03 March 2015, 14:08
- Christians under pressure in West - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:02
- UN, EU organizations must act jointly to protect Christians - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:01
- Christians persecuted in Ukraine by national-radical forces - Lavrov 03 March 2015, 10:00
- Two women convicted for religious, extremist Internet propaganda in Uzbekistan 02 March 2015, 17:43
- Russian Church calls for protection for its churches in Ukraine 02 March 2015, 17:39
- Ukrainian nationalists attack Moscow Patriarchate's church in Sumy 02 March 2015, 17:13
- Tajik Islamic Revival Party doesn't recognize election outcome 02 March 2015, 17:01
- Islamic trace among the possible reasons for the Nemtsov murder 02 March 2015, 10:04
- Lavrov to raise issue of Christians' protection with UNHRC in Geneva 02 March 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes that Nemtsov murder will not be used for political games 02 March 2015, 10:02
- Russian Church urges world to stop terror, protect Christians in Middle East 27 February 2015, 17:41
- Orthodox travelers from Russia to cross Sahara 27 February 2015, 17:16
- Russia outlaws ISIL, Muslim Brotherhood - FSB 27 February 2015, 15:47
- Some one million Jews live in Russia 27 February 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill considers discussions in social nets the vanity fair 27 February 2015, 10:01
- FJCR's position on outcome of WWII deserves deep respect - Medvedev 26 February 2015, 16:51
- Jews feel more comfortable in Russia than in Europe - Berl Lazar 26 February 2015, 16:00
- Putin congratulates Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia on its 15th anniversary 26 February 2015, 15:58
- Russia condemns Islamic State's abduction of Syrian Christians 26 February 2015, 10:01
- Russia is the only center of non-slaved civilization, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 25 February 2015, 17:58