04 August 2010, 12:09
Most well-known rocker priest in Russia turns 50 today
Moscow, August 4 Interfax - A well-known Orthodox missionary and rector of the Moscow church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit at the former Lazarevskoye cemetery and the Church of All Moscow Saints located in Bibirevo district Hegumen Sergy (Rybko) celebrates his 50th birthday this Wednesday.
Father Sergy widely known for his preaching among nonconformist young people took the monastic vows at the age of 30 in the Optina Pustyn Monastery. According to him, it was his interest in Russian rock music that helped him to find his own way to Church.
"In my younger years when we lived behind the "iron curtain", where the stagnation philosophy was the only true doctrine, rock musicians were the only ones to tell people the truth. Rock music made people think and start seeking God's truth," Father Sergy confessed at a recent celebration concert dedicated to the 30th anniversary of Voskresenie group held at the Luzhniki Stadium.
Father Sergy often uses rock concerts to preach to young people. Besides, he organized a rock club named after St. Xenia of Petersburg at one of the Moscow churches which brought together Orthodox nonconformists of Moscow. As an Orthodox missionary, Father Sergy often meets foreign and Russian rock stars. Recently, he presented the Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir to the Deep Purple frontman Ian Gillan during Rock on the Volga festival held in Samara.
Patriarch Alexy II rewarded Father Sergy (Rybko) for his successful missionary work among young people.
- Two Israeli pilgrims injured in Uman blast 21 September 2017, 18:25
- Even grassroots anti-Semitism is minimal in Russia – FJCR 21 September 2017, 18:00
- Christian State - Holy Russia leader detained again 21 September 2017, 16:38
- Uman State Council MP 'taxes a tribute' on trade points for Hassids - Ukraine Security Service 21 September 2017, 15:54
- Four detained over car arson near office of Matilda film director's lawyer - Russian Interior Ministry 21 September 2017, 15:48
- Christian State leader released after interrogation over car arson near office of Uchitel's lawyer 21 September 2017, 14:16
- Putin thanks Russian Jewish community leaders for defending historical truth 21 September 2017, 10:00
- Leader of Christian State Kalinin may be prosecuted for fomenting hostility - police source 20 September 2017, 18:29
- Putin congratulates Jews on Jewish New Year 20 September 2017, 18:26
- Putin expects that Jewish community will promote religious tolerance in Russia 20 September 2017, 15:57
- Three people suspected of setting fire to cars outside office of Matilda director's lawyer detained 20 September 2017, 14:21
- Kazakhstan plans to set up own school of Islamic studies 19 September 2017, 10:12
- Blogger Sokolovsky's lawyer contests sentence in Sverdlovsk region court 18 September 2017, 14:15
- Navalny's volunteer gets 2 years for religious affiliation 18 September 2017, 14:13
- Kadyrov publishes address by Chechen man imprisoned in Iraq calling on Muslims not to join ISIL 18 September 2017, 11:29
- Turkish terrorists lived in house of Georgian patriarch for several months - Rustavi 2 18 September 2017, 10:00
- Tajikistan, Saudi Arabia decide to cooperate to promote tolerance, counterterrorism 15 September 2017, 11:54
- Russian police ready to curb provocations, ensure security of Matilda film viewers 14 September 2017, 17:21
- Umayyad Mosque in Syria's Aleppo to be restored with Kadyrov Fund money 13 September 2017, 11:52
- FJCR building in suspected Molotov cocktail attack 13 September 2017, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witnesses ask Supreme Court to reverse ruling declaring them extremists 12 September 2017, 16:55
- Victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks commemorated in Moscow 12 September 2017, 12:04
- No more need for rallies supporting Myanmar Muslims – Kadyrov 11 September 2017, 10:33
- Over 100 people rallying in support for Myanmar's Muslims detained on Palace Square in St. Petersburg 11 September 2017, 10:06
- Erdogan urges Islamic countries to show determination in resolving Myanmar conflict 11 September 2017, 10:00
- Canada should be asked about reports on plans to take gays from Chechnya - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 13:48
- Pressure on Myanmar leadership only to escalate tensions - Russian Foreign Ministry 08 September 2017, 12:17
- Russian Orthodox Church warns Ukrainian president against meddling in Church's internal affairs 07 September 2017, 18:15
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Organizer of picket in defense of Rohingya offers to meet Myanmar ambassador to Russia 07 September 2017, 15:20