04 August 2010, 12:09
Most well-known rocker priest in Russia turns 50 today
Moscow, August 4 Interfax - A well-known Orthodox missionary and rector of the Moscow church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit at the former Lazarevskoye cemetery and the Church of All Moscow Saints located in Bibirevo district Hegumen Sergy (Rybko) celebrates his 50th birthday this Wednesday.
Father Sergy widely known for his preaching among nonconformist young people took the monastic vows at the age of 30 in the Optina Pustyn Monastery. According to him, it was his interest in Russian rock music that helped him to find his own way to Church.
"In my younger years when we lived behind the "iron curtain", where the stagnation philosophy was the only true doctrine, rock musicians were the only ones to tell people the truth. Rock music made people think and start seeking God's truth," Father Sergy confessed at a recent celebration concert dedicated to the 30th anniversary of Voskresenie group held at the Luzhniki Stadium.
Father Sergy often uses rock concerts to preach to young people. Besides, he organized a rock club named after St. Xenia of Petersburg at one of the Moscow churches which brought together Orthodox nonconformists of Moscow. As an Orthodox missionary, Father Sergy often meets foreign and Russian rock stars. Recently, he presented the Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir to the Deep Purple frontman Ian Gillan during Rock on the Volga festival held in Samara.
Patriarch Alexy II rewarded Father Sergy (Rybko) for his successful missionary work among young people.
- Pope takes side of Azerbaijan on Karabakh issue - Baku 27 June 2016, 11:53
- Moscow Patriarchate tells Constantinople democracy is irrelevant in church life 27 June 2016, 11:40
- Vatican-Ankara relations will not sour over Pope's statement on Armenian genocide - Holy See 27 June 2016, 10:45
- Pope Francis again calls 1915 events in Ottoman Empire 'genocide' 27 June 2016, 10:28
- Russian Security Council notes active use of religious organizations by foreign special services 27 June 2016, 10:26
- Holy Synod to determine Russian Church's attitude to Orthodox forum on Crete in July 27 June 2016, 10:00
- Experts warn against Constantinople's attempt to set up a standing body of ruling the Orthodox world 24 June 2016, 18:42
- Pope Francis has meeting in Etchmiadzin Monastery in Armenia 24 June 2016, 17:12
- Pope arrives in Armenia 24 June 2016, 14:19
- Independence of the Ukrainian Church from Moscow can result in religious war - expert 24 June 2016, 12:07
- July 5 declared non-working day in Crimea due to Muslim holiday 23 June 2016, 18:03
- Patriarch Kirill thanks God that leader of Syrian Christians survived terrorist attack 23 June 2016, 14:44
- Russian Church registers 130 violations of Orthodox Christians' rights in Europe in 2015 22 June 2016, 17:06
- Vatican State Secretary urges Ukrainians not to be nationalists and not to drive themselves into ghetto 22 June 2016, 12:51
- Scientologists detained in St. Petersburg remain under witness status, no charges pressed – source 22 June 2016, 12:27
- Searches over case of illegal activity of Church of Scientology conducted at 14 venues in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region – FSB (updated) 21 June 2016, 14:20
- No jihadist training camps in Ukraine - SBU head (updated) 21 June 2016, 13:39
- Law enforcement officials taking passport details of Church of Scientology members in Moscow 21 June 2016, 13:10
- Searches underway in Moscow and St. Petersburg to suppress unlawful activities of Church of Scientology (updated) 21 June 2016, 10:44
- Religious motive did not confirmed as a version of Nemtsov's murder 20 June 2016, 16:06
- Crete forum not to address Ukrainian issue - Constantinople Patriarchate 20 June 2016, 12:45
- Religious extremists killed in Nalchik 20 June 2016, 12:42
- Ukrainian Church asks president, prosecutors to react to parliamentarians' address to Rada's initiative 17 June 2016, 10:20
- Agenda of the Crete forum is miserable, it can't be called a Council - expert 17 June 2016, 10:01
- Rada's draft on giving autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is doomed to failure - expert 16 June 2016, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church finds Ukrainian Rada's initiative to be gross violation of law 16 June 2016, 14:52
- Kremlin not commenting on prospects of Ukrainian Orthodox Church autocephaly 16 June 2016, 14:38
- Rada calls on Ecumenical patriarch to give autocephaly to Ukraine's Orthodox Church 16 June 2016, 14:30
- Serbian Church says will leave forum on Crete if position of those who refused to participate in it is ignored 15 June 2016, 16:58
- West has a course on restoring Nazism in Western Europe, Russian church official believes 15 June 2016, 16:10