04 August 2010, 15:16
Innovations of the Church of England turn away its believers, sacristan of London Orthodox church believes
London, August 4, Interfax - Sacristan of the Dormition Cathedral in London Archpriest Mikhail Dudko believes English believers leave the Anglican Church as they do not want to put up with its innovations.
"Processes developing in the Church of England give impulse to search for a new religious foundation of life. Female priests and bishops, homosexual marriages and ordination of people who promote "non traditional sexual orientation" bother many believers," Fr. Mikhail told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
According to him, some of those who can't accept it just put up with it, others leave the Church and some people search for something new and come to the Russian Church to find themselves in it.
"Some Englishmen consciously choose the Russian Church. Metropolitan Anthony said that of all Orthodox Churches represented in England, the Russian Orthodox Church gives maximum freedom to newcomers," the London priest said.
He believes Englishmen feel more comfortable in the Russian Church as it celebrates services both in Slavonic and English, and major part of diocesan priests outside of London are English.
"Certainly they are attracted by positive component of the Orthodox teaching, Metropolitan Anthony stressed that Orthodoxy is return to yourself, to the faith of the ancient undivided Church that existed in the territory of England for many centuries," Fr. Mikhail said.
Many new English converts are very strict about some traditions of Russian Orthodoxy and urge women in the parish to cover their heads and change trousers for a shirt, saying that they have adopted Orthodoxy as they lacked such healthy, on their opinion, conservatism in the Church of England.
Once Prince Charles visited the Divine service of the Passion Week in the London Cathedral.
"He is interested in Orthodoxy," Fr. Mikhail said, but called not to pay much attention to the fact as "monarchs here are heads of the Anglican Church," and "modern principles of religious freedom are not for them."
See more under the Exclusive heading.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33