04 August 2010, 15:16
Innovations of the Church of England turn away its believers, sacristan of London Orthodox church believes
London, August 4, Interfax - Sacristan of the Dormition Cathedral in London Archpriest Mikhail Dudko believes English believers leave the Anglican Church as they do not want to put up with its innovations.
"Processes developing in the Church of England give impulse to search for a new religious foundation of life. Female priests and bishops, homosexual marriages and ordination of people who promote "non traditional sexual orientation" bother many believers," Fr. Mikhail told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
According to him, some of those who can't accept it just put up with it, others leave the Church and some people search for something new and come to the Russian Church to find themselves in it.
"Some Englishmen consciously choose the Russian Church. Metropolitan Anthony said that of all Orthodox Churches represented in England, the Russian Orthodox Church gives maximum freedom to newcomers," the London priest said.
He believes Englishmen feel more comfortable in the Russian Church as it celebrates services both in Slavonic and English, and major part of diocesan priests outside of London are English.
"Certainly they are attracted by positive component of the Orthodox teaching, Metropolitan Anthony stressed that Orthodoxy is return to yourself, to the faith of the ancient undivided Church that existed in the territory of England for many centuries," Fr. Mikhail said.
Many new English converts are very strict about some traditions of Russian Orthodoxy and urge women in the parish to cover their heads and change trousers for a shirt, saying that they have adopted Orthodoxy as they lacked such healthy, on their opinion, conservatism in the Church of England.
Once Prince Charles visited the Divine service of the Passion Week in the London Cathedral.
"He is interested in Orthodoxy," Fr. Mikhail said, but called not to pay much attention to the fact as "monarchs here are heads of the Anglican Church," and "modern principles of religious freedom are not for them."
See more under the Exclusive heading.
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43