04 August 2010, 15:16
Innovations of the Church of England turn away its believers, sacristan of London Orthodox church believes
London, August 4, Interfax - Sacristan of the Dormition Cathedral in London Archpriest Mikhail Dudko believes English believers leave the Anglican Church as they do not want to put up with its innovations.
"Processes developing in the Church of England give impulse to search for a new religious foundation of life. Female priests and bishops, homosexual marriages and ordination of people who promote "non traditional sexual orientation" bother many believers," Fr. Mikhail told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
According to him, some of those who can't accept it just put up with it, others leave the Church and some people search for something new and come to the Russian Church to find themselves in it.
"Some Englishmen consciously choose the Russian Church. Metropolitan Anthony said that of all Orthodox Churches represented in England, the Russian Orthodox Church gives maximum freedom to newcomers," the London priest said.
He believes Englishmen feel more comfortable in the Russian Church as it celebrates services both in Slavonic and English, and major part of diocesan priests outside of London are English.
"Certainly they are attracted by positive component of the Orthodox teaching, Metropolitan Anthony stressed that Orthodoxy is return to yourself, to the faith of the ancient undivided Church that existed in the territory of England for many centuries," Fr. Mikhail said.
Many new English converts are very strict about some traditions of Russian Orthodoxy and urge women in the parish to cover their heads and change trousers for a shirt, saying that they have adopted Orthodoxy as they lacked such healthy, on their opinion, conservatism in the Church of England.
Once Prince Charles visited the Divine service of the Passion Week in the London Cathedral.
"He is interested in Orthodoxy," Fr. Mikhail said, but called not to pay much attention to the fact as "monarchs here are heads of the Anglican Church," and "modern principles of religious freedom are not for them."
See more under the Exclusive heading.
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00