12 August 2010, 10:52
Russia won't give Schneerson library to American Hasids
Moscow, August 12, Interfax - The Russian Foreign Ministry has said that the decision by a federal judge in Washington that historical books and documents, known as the Schneerson collection, should be returned to the U.S.-based Chabad Lubavitch movement is illegal.
"The Schneerson library has never belonged to Chabad. It never left Russia and was nationalized because there were no legal heirs in the Schneerson family. The 'return' of these books to the U.S. is not an issue in principle," the Russian Foreign Ministry's Department of Information and Press said in the comments posted on its website.
"On the contrary, it is American Hasids who must return to Russia seven books from the same collection that they lent from the Russian State Library in 1994 through the U.S. Congress library for two months and have withheld illegally for 16 years now."
"The non-governmental religious organization of American Hasids called Agudas Hasidei Chabad based in the New York district of Brooklyn spent more than 15 years demanding on unclear grounds that Russia should 'return' to the U.S. the so-called Schneerson library, a collection of books on Judaism, which had for centuries been collected in the Smolensk province by the family of the Russian Empire subjects, the Schneerson rabbis," the Department said.
By law, "it would be logical, if the U.S. court, mindful of the immunity of the Russian Federation and its property against the jurisdiction of a foreign court, ruled that this matter is outside its jurisdiction and any claims by plaintiffs must be dealt with exclusively at Russian courts," the ministry said. "By the way, no one is depriving American Hasids of this opportunity," it said.
"Unfortunately, the U.S. judge made an unlawful decision, which cannot be enforced in Russia, as a matter of fact. There is no agreement between Russia and the U.S. on mutual recognition and enforcement of civil judgments," the statement said.
It was reported that on August 6 a federal judge in Washington ruled that Hasids had proved the legality of their claims to ancient Jewish books and manuscripts which, by his definition, are kept at the Russian State Library and the Russian Military Archive "illegally."
Part of the collection gathered by Lubavitch Rabbi Joseph I. Schneerson was nationalized by Bolsheviks in 1918 and ended up at the Russian National Lenin Library. The remainder was taken out of the Soviet Union by Schneerson who emigrated in 1930s.
About 25,000 pages of manuscripts got into the hands of the Nazi and were found later by the Red Army, which handed them over to the Russian State Military Archive. Lubavitch Hasids have sought the restitution of the Schneerson collection since the late 1980s. According to some reports, first Russian President Boris Yeltsin promised to James Baker, State Secretary in the George Bush Sr. administration, to return the sacred documents to Hasids.
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Cleric from biggest mosque in south Kyrgyzstan sentenced to five years for extremism 09 October 2015, 10:22
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Crimean Tatars 'do not have right' to leave their motherland 08 October 2015, 14:57
- Nicholas II's doctor, servants may be canonized 08 October 2015, 10:00
- Over half Russians trust religious organizations - poll 07 October 2015, 18:04
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Two Russians died from heart attacks during this hajj 07 October 2015, 16:06
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Members of Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party charged with organizing armed mutiny 06 October 2015, 11:17
- Three Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Chelyabinsk 06 October 2015, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on intl community to eliminate terrorists, their ideology 05 October 2015, 15:24
- Head of Polish Orthodox Church accuses Kiev of being unable to protect the faithful 05 October 2015, 10:05
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59
- Remains of Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna may be included in royal family inquiry - Russian Investigative Committee 28 September 2015, 10:01