23 August 2010, 13:02
Cross appears in the sky during prayer service to Solovki martyrs on Lubyanka Square
Moscow, August 23, Interfax - Cross made of clouds appeared for several minutes in the sky above the Lubyanka Square in Moscow during a prayer service to the Solovki new martyrs last Sunday.
"It was seen by all the people, who attended the Solovki Candle action on the eve of the Solovki new martyrs and confessors commemoration day and numerous police officers who guarded Lubyanka Square," action organizer Pavel Illarionov told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
He reminded that the goal of the prayerful meeting was to obtain permission of Moscow and Russian authorities on setting up a commemorative cross near the Solovki Stone and building an Orthodox chapel to commemorate victims killed in repressions of the 20th century.
"Some people doubted that such a thing may happen, but I said: "Soon you'll see it with your own eyes." But even I couldn't expect that the sign in the sky would appear just in several minutes after a prayer to new martyrs began," Illarionov said.
According to him, the cross was seen during 20 minutes of the prayer service, then the clouds concealed it. Professor Pavel Florensky, a grandson of the renowned martyr, speaking after the prayer service said that no matter what rational explanation this sign may have "for a believing heart this miracle doesn't need any comments," and it made him believe that the Orthodox cross and church-chapel will be opened on Lubyanka Square very soon.
The Solovki Candle action was dedicated to the 90th anniversary of setting up the first Soviet concentration camp on Solovki Islands. Participants chanted "Memory Eternal" to all "suffered in severe trials on Solovki islands and other places."
- Salekhard administration bans gay pride parade on Polar Circle 20 January 2017, 11:53
- Divers discover a Douglas and three air bombs of World War II when preparing to Epiphany bathing in the Black Sea 20 January 2017, 11:37
- Project of the Moscow Tolerance Center to 2018 World Cup presented in Davos 20 January 2017, 11:05
- Churches belonging to Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine attacked 13 times over past year 19 January 2017, 15:45
- Arctic Ocean sanctified in northern Yakutia in Epiphany night 19 January 2017, 11:52
- Over 1.8 mln people took part in Epiphany bathing in Russia 19 January 2017, 11:24
- Russian Orthodox Church clergy to sanctify waters of two oceans for Epiphany 18 January 2017, 18:12
- Hajj quota enlarged by more than third for Uzbek Muslims 18 January 2017, 13:07
- Arc containing relics of saints who died for faith under Soviets to be carried across Russia to mark 100th anniversary of October Revolution 18 January 2017, 13:06
- Patriarch Kirill caught cold and won't participate in Epiphany celebrations 17 January 2017, 18:56
- Russian Orthodox Church will actively participate in restoring Syrian shrines 17 January 2017, 15:46
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53
- Two Israelis suspected of intentionally damaging Jesus on Cross statue in Ukraine's Uman 03 January 2017, 21:30
- The Russian Church suggests fining for abusive language in public places 30 December 2016, 14:44
- Patriarch Kirill believes the word 'celebrations' inappropriate to 100th anniversary of October revolt 30 December 2016, 13:00
- Changes that took place in 2016 withdrew a threat menacing the world - Patriarch Kirill 30 December 2016, 12:24
- Doctors recommend the Georgian Patriarch to go to Germany for treatment, but he refuses 29 December 2016, 19:05
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Rabbi Lazar makes offer to Putin to set up tolerance centers in other Russian cities along with Moscow 28 December 2016, 18:48