23 August 2010, 13:02
Cross appears in the sky during prayer service to Solovki martyrs on Lubyanka Square
Moscow, August 23, Interfax - Cross made of clouds appeared for several minutes in the sky above the Lubyanka Square in Moscow during a prayer service to the Solovki new martyrs last Sunday.
"It was seen by all the people, who attended the Solovki Candle action on the eve of the Solovki new martyrs and confessors commemoration day and numerous police officers who guarded Lubyanka Square," action organizer Pavel Illarionov told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
He reminded that the goal of the prayerful meeting was to obtain permission of Moscow and Russian authorities on setting up a commemorative cross near the Solovki Stone and building an Orthodox chapel to commemorate victims killed in repressions of the 20th century.
"Some people doubted that such a thing may happen, but I said: "Soon you'll see it with your own eyes." But even I couldn't expect that the sign in the sky would appear just in several minutes after a prayer to new martyrs began," Illarionov said.
According to him, the cross was seen during 20 minutes of the prayer service, then the clouds concealed it. Professor Pavel Florensky, a grandson of the renowned martyr, speaking after the prayer service said that no matter what rational explanation this sign may have "for a believing heart this miracle doesn't need any comments," and it made him believe that the Orthodox cross and church-chapel will be opened on Lubyanka Square very soon.
The Solovki Candle action was dedicated to the 90th anniversary of setting up the first Soviet concentration camp on Solovki Islands. Participants chanted "Memory Eternal" to all "suffered in severe trials on Solovki islands and other places."
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04