23 August 2010, 13:02
Cross appears in the sky during prayer service to Solovki martyrs on Lubyanka Square
Moscow, August 23, Interfax - Cross made of clouds appeared for several minutes in the sky above the Lubyanka Square in Moscow during a prayer service to the Solovki new martyrs last Sunday.
"It was seen by all the people, who attended the Solovki Candle action on the eve of the Solovki new martyrs and confessors commemoration day and numerous police officers who guarded Lubyanka Square," action organizer Pavel Illarionov told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
He reminded that the goal of the prayerful meeting was to obtain permission of Moscow and Russian authorities on setting up a commemorative cross near the Solovki Stone and building an Orthodox chapel to commemorate victims killed in repressions of the 20th century.
"Some people doubted that such a thing may happen, but I said: "Soon you'll see it with your own eyes." But even I couldn't expect that the sign in the sky would appear just in several minutes after a prayer to new martyrs began," Illarionov said.
According to him, the cross was seen during 20 minutes of the prayer service, then the clouds concealed it. Professor Pavel Florensky, a grandson of the renowned martyr, speaking after the prayer service said that no matter what rational explanation this sign may have "for a believing heart this miracle doesn't need any comments," and it made him believe that the Orthodox cross and church-chapel will be opened on Lubyanka Square very soon.
The Solovki Candle action was dedicated to the 90th anniversary of setting up the first Soviet concentration camp on Solovki Islands. Participants chanted "Memory Eternal" to all "suffered in severe trials on Solovki islands and other places."
- Church official: scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses are American agents 30 January 2015, 17:35
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Russians find publication of blasphemous cartoons unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 15:11
- Klitschko overturns decision to strip Moscow Patriarchate of tax break 30 January 2015, 10:17
- Russian citizens find publication of cartoons insulting people's religious feelings unacceptable - poll 30 January 2015, 10:16
- Church to commemorate perished Russian sailors to be build in Japan 30 January 2015, 10:08
- Kyrgyz protest against Prophet Muhammad cartoons calls for boycott of French perfumes 29 January 2015, 14:14
- Russians are against religious cartoons - poll 28 January 2015, 17:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about church arsons in Ukraine 28 January 2015, 14:17
- Rabbi Lazar thanks WWII veterans for saving world from fascism 28 January 2015, 10:02
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03