23 August 2010, 13:02
Cross appears in the sky during prayer service to Solovki martyrs on Lubyanka Square
Moscow, August 23, Interfax - Cross made of clouds appeared for several minutes in the sky above the Lubyanka Square in Moscow during a prayer service to the Solovki new martyrs last Sunday.
"It was seen by all the people, who attended the Solovki Candle action on the eve of the Solovki new martyrs and confessors commemoration day and numerous police officers who guarded Lubyanka Square," action organizer Pavel Illarionov told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
He reminded that the goal of the prayerful meeting was to obtain permission of Moscow and Russian authorities on setting up a commemorative cross near the Solovki Stone and building an Orthodox chapel to commemorate victims killed in repressions of the 20th century.
"Some people doubted that such a thing may happen, but I said: "Soon you'll see it with your own eyes." But even I couldn't expect that the sign in the sky would appear just in several minutes after a prayer to new martyrs began," Illarionov said.
According to him, the cross was seen during 20 minutes of the prayer service, then the clouds concealed it. Professor Pavel Florensky, a grandson of the renowned martyr, speaking after the prayer service said that no matter what rational explanation this sign may have "for a believing heart this miracle doesn't need any comments," and it made him believe that the Orthodox cross and church-chapel will be opened on Lubyanka Square very soon.
The Solovki Candle action was dedicated to the 90th anniversary of setting up the first Soviet concentration camp on Solovki Islands. Participants chanted "Memory Eternal" to all "suffered in severe trials on Solovki islands and other places."
- Over half of Russians say ISIL is threat - poll 20 October 2014, 15:18
- Obligatory introduction of electronic passports and universal fingerprinting make the way to absolute dictatorship - Russian church official believes 20 October 2014, 11:27
- About 1,000 Evangelical Christians gather in central Kiev to pray for Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Pope Francis discuss Greek-Catholics' actions in Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:04
- Moscow Patriarchate urges Catholics to jointly protect family at a legal level 17 October 2014, 12:03
- Russian Church urges Uniates to stop subversive activities against it in Ukraine 17 October 2014, 11:07
- Renowned Italian expert speaks about growing Christianophobia on Europe 17 October 2014, 10:06
- The Valaam Monastery to produce Italian sorts of cheese 16 October 2014, 17:58
- Kyrgyz parliament passes bill banning "gay propaganda" at 1st reading 16 October 2014, 15:39
- Orthodox human rights advocate suggests appointing OSCE curator on Russophobia 16 October 2014, 10:05
- Parents-Satanists call their baby Lucifer 16 October 2014, 10:02
- Eight Hizb ut-Tahrir figures arrested in Kazan 16 October 2014, 10:01
- Kazakhstan outlaws Al-Takfir wa al-Hijra 15 October 2014, 12:14
- Putin accuses human rights defenders of ignoring the persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 October 2014, 10:11
- Monument to Nicholas II to open in Belgrade 14 October 2014, 14:26
- Serbian Ambassador criticizes the West for lack of attention to the problem of destroying churches in Kosovo 14 October 2014, 13:43
- It is time to begin developing a system of Islamic education within the country's religious institutions - FSB chief 14 October 2014, 12:54
- Patriarch Kirill asks Iraq president to protect Christians 14 October 2014, 10:05
- Schismatics occupy church in Ternopol Region of Ukraine 14 October 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate urges to stop violence and threats against canonical Ukrainian Church 13 October 2014, 17:05
- Exact copy of the main Sevastopol Cathedral to appear in Moscow 13 October 2014, 16:34
- Over forty citizens of Georgia may be fighting in Syria on Islamic State side - media 10 October 2014, 18:06
- Most Russians unaware of ISIL, others see it as threat to peace, Russia - poll 09 October 2014, 18:12
- Extremist ideologists use unsanctioned U.S. operations in Syria to stoke radical sentiments - Russian Foreign Ministry 09 October 2014, 16:01
- They try to deprive Russia of spiritual weapon, which is more powerful than nuclear one - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 09 October 2014, 13:56
- Integration of Crimean Tatars will be lengthy process - Mufti Gainutdin 08 October 2014, 17:39
- Muslims and Jews in Russia believe a four-day work week useful 08 October 2014, 14:04
- Expansion of religious extremism in Russia continues through "personnel" training in foreign Islamic centers - Russian Prosecutor General's Office 08 October 2014, 13:25
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin stands for four-day work week and high evaluation of distant work 07 October 2014, 15:42
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Putin for his care for people's spiritual wellbeing 07 October 2014, 13:28