27 September 2010, 17:41
Georgian spiritual leader criticizes Russian Patriarch for S. Ossetia message
Tbilisi, September 27, Interfax - The spiritual leader of the Georgian Orthodox Church has sent a letter to Russian Patriarch Kirill expressing concern over a message sent by the Russian Patriarch to the South Ossetian leader.
"Reports were circulated claiming that you have sent greetings to the head of the self-proclaimed republic of South Ossetia on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of its independence, which caused an extremely negative reaction among our believers and in the whole of the Georgian republic," Georgian Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II said in his letter.
"This move is regrettable and absolutely not clear, as it signals support for and recognition of the forcibly imposed separatist regime, and of the illegally proclaimed 'independence' on this ancient Georgian land, which the whole world has acknowledged," Ilia II said.
"Our people remember your personal support and the support of the Russian Orthodox Church for the recognition of the canonical borders of Georgia and the Georgian Church. Therefore, the above-mentioned step was absolutely unexpected for us," he said in the letter. "We presume the Church must not be under the influence of politicians and political processes. We hope that in the future you will remain on the side of justice, which will facilitate the establishment of good neighborly relations between our states."
South Ossetia's State Committee for Information, Communication and Mass Media reported on its website on September 19 that Father Sergy, at a ceremonial meeting at the South Ossetian government's conference hall, ahead of the celebrations of the 20th anniversary of South Ossetia's independence, conveyed the Russian patriarch's greetings to the president and people of South Ossetia.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42