27 September 2010, 17:41
Georgian spiritual leader criticizes Russian Patriarch for S. Ossetia message
Tbilisi, September 27, Interfax - The spiritual leader of the Georgian Orthodox Church has sent a letter to Russian Patriarch Kirill expressing concern over a message sent by the Russian Patriarch to the South Ossetian leader.
"Reports were circulated claiming that you have sent greetings to the head of the self-proclaimed republic of South Ossetia on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of its independence, which caused an extremely negative reaction among our believers and in the whole of the Georgian republic," Georgian Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II said in his letter.
"This move is regrettable and absolutely not clear, as it signals support for and recognition of the forcibly imposed separatist regime, and of the illegally proclaimed 'independence' on this ancient Georgian land, which the whole world has acknowledged," Ilia II said.
"Our people remember your personal support and the support of the Russian Orthodox Church for the recognition of the canonical borders of Georgia and the Georgian Church. Therefore, the above-mentioned step was absolutely unexpected for us," he said in the letter. "We presume the Church must not be under the influence of politicians and political processes. We hope that in the future you will remain on the side of justice, which will facilitate the establishment of good neighborly relations between our states."
South Ossetia's State Committee for Information, Communication and Mass Media reported on its website on September 19 that Father Sergy, at a ceremonial meeting at the South Ossetian government's conference hall, ahead of the celebrations of the 20th anniversary of South Ossetia's independence, conveyed the Russian patriarch's greetings to the president and people of South Ossetia.
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58