27 September 2010, 18:22
A Ukrainian diocese outraged with plans to build Uniate cathedral
Odessa, September 27, Interfax - The Odessa Diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church believes there is no grounds for building a Greek Catholic cathedral in the city and such plans have aggressive political backgrounds.
"It's quite evident that there's no ground for building a Greek Catholic church in Odessa. Odessa is an Orthodox city," the diocesan secretary Archpriest Andrey Novikov told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
According to the priest, initiators of the building have their own aim - proselytism, converting Orthodox believers in Unia.
"There is no visible presence of Greek Catholics in Odessa. Whom uniate preachers are going to attract to their parish? Certainly Orthodox Odessites - they will try to catch them in networks of Unia through various intricacies," the interviewee of the agency said.
Fr. Andrey told about numerous addresses from the deputies, representatives of intellectual elite, ordinary residents of Odessa to the diocesan administration as they are outraged that the historic center of Odessa may have "a cathedral of the confession that blurred its history by cooperation with Nazi occupation regime, blessing of SS members and militants of the so-called "Ukrainian rebel army" generally known as Bandera nationalists."
The priest was also puzzled with Uniates' attempts to exaggerate number of their followers in Odessa. "If we speak seriously, then all "data" about numerous Greek Catholics living in Odessa are "pulled out of a hat," he said.
Fr. Andrey pointed not only to numerous proves of the eye-witnesses, but also to his personal experience.
"When I go to the service I drive near this (Uniate - IF) church. It is usually closed. On feast days there are several people, often Polish Catholic nuns who are evidently sent there to give an impression of a crowd. I was surprised to read an Internet interview with a "chancellor" of the Greek Catholic Diocese who shamelessly said that 300-400 people usually visit the church!" the priest said.
According to him, "such immodest lie in mass media offered by the person who consider himself a cleric, one more time proves that the Greek Catholic Church is not going to refuse the old, tested Jesuit slogan "the end justifies the means."
He also asked "experts" concerned "with supposed violations of UGCC rights" where they were when Greek Catholics crushed Western European dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church" and "why these "advocates" of rights and freedoms keep silence today, when thousand believers of the canonical Church pray at the open air in Lvov as they are refused in any site for building an Orthodox cathedral."
- Patriarch Kirill: We fight for justice in Syria 21 March 2018, 16:46
- Church official regrets that unlike Oxford and Harvard restoration of university churches in Russia provoke negative reaction 20 March 2018, 14:07
- Traveler Konuykhov plans to set up an Orthodox cross at the bottom of the Marianna Trench 20 March 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes western countries do not pay attention to the provoked by them exodus of Christians from the Middle East 19 March 2018, 21:06
- Patriarch Kirill: presidential elections showed unity of Russians around their national leader 19 March 2018, 17:59
- The whole world will lose from anti-Russian actions of the West, the Russian church official believes 15 March 2018, 16:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes not only Bulgaria, but all countries of the former Warsaw Pact tend to revising history 12 March 2018, 19:13
- Jewish scientist proves that main provisions of Kabbalah coincides with scientific view on universe 12 March 2018, 18:24
- The Russian Church doubts the decency of the Armenian priest who spoke against divine nature of the Holy Fire 12 March 2018, 16:58
- 21 Orthodox churches to open in Moscow this year 07 March 2018, 16:35
- Captain of the Russian ice hockey team visited the Sredneuralsky Monastery to thank God for victory 07 March 2018, 16:32
- Arab Spring sparked global religious extremism - Russian Security Council 07 March 2018, 12:57
- Searchers in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev related to possible illegal actions of certain citizens, rather than center itself - prosecutor's office 07 March 2018, 12:53
- Searches take place in Islamic Cultural Center in Kiev 07 March 2018, 12:33
- Two religious extremists killed in northern Azerbaijan 07 March 2018, 12:30
- Patriarch Kirill: 50 Orthodox Churches recently taken over in Ukraine 01 March 2018, 18:40
- Russia seriously concerned about Christians' persecution in Middle East - Russian deputy FM 01 March 2018, 18:01
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Bulgaria in March 27 February 2018, 17:53
- Lavrov warns against involving Orthodox Churches in political games 22 February 2018, 13:35
- Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police 22 February 2018, 11:25
- To eliminate ISIS on its territory is not enough, its cells remind about themselves in Russia - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 February 2018, 11:01
- Total of 20,500 Muslims from Russia could carry out hajj in 2018 21 February 2018, 11:28
- Clergy could do for countering terrorism in Dagestan more than security services - human rights council head 21 February 2018, 11:25
- Cat who lives at the main Crimean construction site grew fat eating pancakes on Russian Maslenitsa and will observe shrimp diet 20 February 2018, 14:16
- Women killed in Kizlyar to be buried on territory of church as martyrs 20 February 2018, 11:06
- Kizlyar shooting an attempt to pit Dagestan's people, religions against one another – Vasilyev 20 February 2018, 11:04
- 82% of Russians consider unacceptable jokes about the Church 19 February 2018, 17:23
- Investigators probing Kizlyar shooter's affiliation with extremist organizations – Peskov 19 February 2018, 14:02
- Kadyrov says shocked by Kizlyar church attack 19 February 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill sees shooting in Dagestan as provocation aimed at causing discord between Orthodox, Muslims 19 February 2018, 10:39