27 September 2010, 18:22
A Ukrainian diocese outraged with plans to build Uniate cathedral
Odessa, September 27, Interfax - The Odessa Diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church believes there is no grounds for building a Greek Catholic cathedral in the city and such plans have aggressive political backgrounds.
"It's quite evident that there's no ground for building a Greek Catholic church in Odessa. Odessa is an Orthodox city," the diocesan secretary Archpriest Andrey Novikov told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
According to the priest, initiators of the building have their own aim - proselytism, converting Orthodox believers in Unia.
"There is no visible presence of Greek Catholics in Odessa. Whom uniate preachers are going to attract to their parish? Certainly Orthodox Odessites - they will try to catch them in networks of Unia through various intricacies," the interviewee of the agency said.
Fr. Andrey told about numerous addresses from the deputies, representatives of intellectual elite, ordinary residents of Odessa to the diocesan administration as they are outraged that the historic center of Odessa may have "a cathedral of the confession that blurred its history by cooperation with Nazi occupation regime, blessing of SS members and militants of the so-called "Ukrainian rebel army" generally known as Bandera nationalists."
The priest was also puzzled with Uniates' attempts to exaggerate number of their followers in Odessa. "If we speak seriously, then all "data" about numerous Greek Catholics living in Odessa are "pulled out of a hat," he said.
Fr. Andrey pointed not only to numerous proves of the eye-witnesses, but also to his personal experience.
"When I go to the service I drive near this (Uniate - IF) church. It is usually closed. On feast days there are several people, often Polish Catholic nuns who are evidently sent there to give an impression of a crowd. I was surprised to read an Internet interview with a "chancellor" of the Greek Catholic Diocese who shamelessly said that 300-400 people usually visit the church!" the priest said.
According to him, "such immodest lie in mass media offered by the person who consider himself a cleric, one more time proves that the Greek Catholic Church is not going to refuse the old, tested Jesuit slogan "the end justifies the means."
He also asked "experts" concerned "with supposed violations of UGCC rights" where they were when Greek Catholics crushed Western European dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church" and "why these "advocates" of rights and freedoms keep silence today, when thousand believers of the canonical Church pray at the open air in Lvov as they are refused in any site for building an Orthodox cathedral."
- Patriarch tells Jordanian king about reason for meeting with pope 15 February 2018, 18:32
- Land for building a church in Portugal allotted to the Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2018, 19:09
- Azerbaijani religious leaders to discuss Aliyev in sermons before election 14 February 2018, 16:55
- Patriarch Kirill meets with Abbas, favors preserving Jerusalem's special status 14 February 2018, 13:12
- Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis haven't planned new meeting - Metropolitan Hilarion 12 February 2018, 18:23
- The Russian Church considers the Kremlin list as direct pressure of the USA on Russian authorities and electorate 12 February 2018, 14:42
- Chief rabbi of Russia - against initiative of Poland law-makers to punish for wording 'Polish death camps' 12 February 2018, 11:30
- Church School of Post-Graduate and Doctoral Studies obtained state accreditation in Russia 09 February 2018, 18:02
- Ukrainian Security Service initiates a case against UOC priest for a post with St. Georgy ribbon in Facebook 09 February 2018, 17:23
- Quotas for tourists visiting St. Basil’s cathedral can be introduced after 2019 09 February 2018, 13:05
- Russian pro-lifer thanks Trump for struggling against abortions 09 February 2018, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the repose of Russian pilot Roman Filipov killed in Syria 09 February 2018, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of 'unprecedented pressure' for purpose of compromising Russia's sports achievements 05 February 2018, 11:05
- Catalogue of Christian shrines destroyed in Syria compiled by Orthodox and Catholics will be represented in Vienna 02 February 2018, 17:28
- Russian society not ready for pope to visit - Catholic priest 02 February 2018, 14:22
- Patriarch Kirill blessed Russian Olympic athletes, urging them to mind personal responsibility before the country 01 February 2018, 16:54
- An ambulance was bought on money saved on flowers for Patriarch Kirill 01 February 2018, 14:49
- Putin to congratulate Patriarch Kirill on anniversary of his enthronement on Thursday 01 February 2018, 12:41
- Twelve held in south Kazakhstan for extremism propaganda on social media 01 February 2018, 10:49
- Attempts to deny Holocaust, belittle USSR's role in victory over Nazis must be foiled - Putin 29 January 2018, 18:12
- Russian Jews call on Poland to allow Russia's participation in building Sobibor memorial 26 January 2018, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill alarmed by spread of cryptocurrencies 25 January 2018, 17:19
- Cooperation with secular universities makes Islamic education 'fundamental' - Putin 25 January 2018, 17:04
- Russia without future if it follows Europe's example in issues of religion - Deputy Speaker Tolstoy 25 January 2018, 17:00
- Priest Grozovsky's lawyers file appeal in child abuse case 25 January 2018, 15:35
- Govt to continue supporting Islamic education – Putin 25 January 2018, 11:23
- Putin stresses importance of development of Russian Islamic theological school 25 January 2018, 11:22
- Patriarch Kirill says many people in the West lay their hopes on Putin 24 January 2018, 17:50
- UN, OSCE, EU should react to harassment of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Lavrov 24 January 2018, 17:29
- Epiphany bathing held at the pole of cold in Yakutia at 63 degrees below zero 19 January 2018, 16:34