27 September 2010, 18:22
A Ukrainian diocese outraged with plans to build Uniate cathedral
Odessa, September 27, Interfax - The Odessa Diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church believes there is no grounds for building a Greek Catholic cathedral in the city and such plans have aggressive political backgrounds.
"It's quite evident that there's no ground for building a Greek Catholic church in Odessa. Odessa is an Orthodox city," the diocesan secretary Archpriest Andrey Novikov told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
According to the priest, initiators of the building have their own aim - proselytism, converting Orthodox believers in Unia.
"There is no visible presence of Greek Catholics in Odessa. Whom uniate preachers are going to attract to their parish? Certainly Orthodox Odessites - they will try to catch them in networks of Unia through various intricacies," the interviewee of the agency said.
Fr. Andrey told about numerous addresses from the deputies, representatives of intellectual elite, ordinary residents of Odessa to the diocesan administration as they are outraged that the historic center of Odessa may have "a cathedral of the confession that blurred its history by cooperation with Nazi occupation regime, blessing of SS members and militants of the so-called "Ukrainian rebel army" generally known as Bandera nationalists."
The priest was also puzzled with Uniates' attempts to exaggerate number of their followers in Odessa. "If we speak seriously, then all "data" about numerous Greek Catholics living in Odessa are "pulled out of a hat," he said.
Fr. Andrey pointed not only to numerous proves of the eye-witnesses, but also to his personal experience.
"When I go to the service I drive near this (Uniate - IF) church. It is usually closed. On feast days there are several people, often Polish Catholic nuns who are evidently sent there to give an impression of a crowd. I was surprised to read an Internet interview with a "chancellor" of the Greek Catholic Diocese who shamelessly said that 300-400 people usually visit the church!" the priest said.
According to him, "such immodest lie in mass media offered by the person who consider himself a cleric, one more time proves that the Greek Catholic Church is not going to refuse the old, tested Jesuit slogan "the end justifies the means."
He also asked "experts" concerned "with supposed violations of UGCC rights" where they were when Greek Catholics crushed Western European dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church" and "why these "advocates" of rights and freedoms keep silence today, when thousand believers of the canonical Church pray at the open air in Lvov as they are refused in any site for building an Orthodox cathedral."
- Presidents of Russia, Israel agree to continue departmental contacts regarding Jewish Agency for Israel 09 August 2022, 13:49
- Pope Francis holds lengthy meeting with head of Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept 05 August 2022, 16:49
- 'Foreign ministers' of Russian Orthodox Church, Holy See meet in Vatican 04 August 2022, 16:44
- Zelensky tasks PM with considering legalization of same-sex marriages in Ukraine 03 August 2022, 14:38
- Pope to pay visit to Kazakhstan on Sept 13-15 01 August 2022, 13:55
- Kremlin refuses to comment on situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel 29 July 2022, 14:48
- Patriarch Kirill describes all Orthodox Ukrainians as children of Russian Orthodox Church 28 July 2022, 22:27
- Russian State Duma speaker says is certain bills banning propaganda of non-traditional values will be adopted 28 July 2022, 11:39
- Russian Church views Patriarch Kirill's ban on entry to Lithuania as abandoning European legal tradition 27 July 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill banned from entering Lithuania until 2027 27 July 2022, 18:15
- FJCR claims that they have not received notifications about the closure 27 July 2022, 14:25
- The return of Alexander Metochin to Russia outside the competence of the Jewish community – FJCR 27 July 2022, 14:18
- Israel ready for talks with Russia on Jewish Agency situation – PM 27 July 2022, 14:10
- Russian Church doubles the number of its clerics in Africa in seven months 27 July 2022, 11:33
- Situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia should not be politicized - Kremlin 26 July 2022, 17:27
- Russian court asked to declare Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party terrorist organization 25 July 2022, 18:13
- Person behind blast at Orthodox school in Russia's Serpukhov given 13-year term 25 July 2022, 15:47
- Blast rocks church in Syria at its inauguration ceremony 25 July 2022, 11:41
- Orthodox Church of Jerusalem urges West to stop attacks on Patriarch Kirill 22 July 2022, 21:40
- Intention to close down Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia linked not to 'brain drain', but to compliance with Russian laws - Kremlin 22 July 2022, 18:10
- The Federation of Jewish Communities concerned about plans to eliminate Sochnut in Russia 22 July 2022, 18:06
- Tajik president warns of danger of religious extremism ideology 21 July 2022, 17:28
- Russian Justice Ministry's Moscow branch seeks to shut down Jewish Agency for Israel 21 July 2022, 15:40
- Tretyakov Gallery dismisses as 'premature' talk about time of Rublev's Trinity return on permanent display 19 July 2022, 19:39
- Rublev's Trinity icon returned from Trinity Lavra to Tretyakov Gallery with no signs of deterioration 19 July 2022, 16:05
- Bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 18 July 2022, 16:41
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra in special climate-controlled display case 18 July 2022, 10:07
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra for first time since 1917 Revolution 18 July 2022, 10:02
- Putin signs into law bill setting up state databank of extremist materials 14 July 2022, 16:52
- Kyrgyz special services claim to have prevented terrorist on Eid al-Adha in Bishkek 12 July 2022, 17:02