27 September 2010, 18:22
A Ukrainian diocese outraged with plans to build Uniate cathedral
Odessa, September 27, Interfax - The Odessa Diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church believes there is no grounds for building a Greek Catholic cathedral in the city and such plans have aggressive political backgrounds.
"It's quite evident that there's no ground for building a Greek Catholic church in Odessa. Odessa is an Orthodox city," the diocesan secretary Archpriest Andrey Novikov told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
According to the priest, initiators of the building have their own aim - proselytism, converting Orthodox believers in Unia.
"There is no visible presence of Greek Catholics in Odessa. Whom uniate preachers are going to attract to their parish? Certainly Orthodox Odessites - they will try to catch them in networks of Unia through various intricacies," the interviewee of the agency said.
Fr. Andrey told about numerous addresses from the deputies, representatives of intellectual elite, ordinary residents of Odessa to the diocesan administration as they are outraged that the historic center of Odessa may have "a cathedral of the confession that blurred its history by cooperation with Nazi occupation regime, blessing of SS members and militants of the so-called "Ukrainian rebel army" generally known as Bandera nationalists."
The priest was also puzzled with Uniates' attempts to exaggerate number of their followers in Odessa. "If we speak seriously, then all "data" about numerous Greek Catholics living in Odessa are "pulled out of a hat," he said.
Fr. Andrey pointed not only to numerous proves of the eye-witnesses, but also to his personal experience.
"When I go to the service I drive near this (Uniate - IF) church. It is usually closed. On feast days there are several people, often Polish Catholic nuns who are evidently sent there to give an impression of a crowd. I was surprised to read an Internet interview with a "chancellor" of the Greek Catholic Diocese who shamelessly said that 300-400 people usually visit the church!" the priest said.
According to him, "such immodest lie in mass media offered by the person who consider himself a cleric, one more time proves that the Greek Catholic Church is not going to refuse the old, tested Jesuit slogan "the end justifies the means."
He also asked "experts" concerned "with supposed violations of UGCC rights" where they were when Greek Catholics crushed Western European dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church" and "why these "advocates" of rights and freedoms keep silence today, when thousand believers of the canonical Church pray at the open air in Lvov as they are refused in any site for building an Orthodox cathedral."
- Patriarch Kirill to cease liturgical commemoration of Patriarch of Alexandria - Moscow Patriarchate spokesman 08 November 2019, 17:41
- Jihadists prepare lone terrorists in the social networks - FSB chief 07 November 2019, 18:40
- Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction 07 November 2019, 14:54
- The synagogue near Moscow wins international award 07 November 2019, 14:22
- Lavrov blames U.S. for split of the Orthodox world 06 November 2019, 16:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church is responsible for the destiny of Orthodoxy all around the world 06 November 2019, 11:42
- Patriarch Kirill says global Orthodoxy will overcome schism 06 November 2019, 11:39
- Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Archdiocese abroad not based on submission - Metropolitan Jean 06 November 2019, 11:37
- Head of Russian parishes in Europe believes the West has great missionary potential 06 November 2019, 11:35
- Leader of Russian parishes in Europe expects new "Russian Exarchate" communities to join Russian Orthodox Church 05 November 2019, 19:50
- Sentence for leader of Tomsk Jehovah's Witnesses consistent with current Russian law - Peskov 05 November 2019, 16:13
- Radical Islamist detained on suspicion of plotting terror attack in Moscow 05 November 2019, 13:25
- Patriarch Kirill stopped mentioning head of Greek Church during religious service 03 November 2019, 11:32
- Patriarch Kirill gives Archbishop Jean document reuniting Archdiocese of Russian Churches in W. Europe with Moscow Patriarchate 03 November 2019, 11:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion says his meeting with Pompeo foiled by Russian Orthodox Church opponents 02 November 2019, 18:49
- Russian Orthodox Church to stop communion with head of Greek Church 02 November 2019, 18:46
- Patriarch Kirill signs document reuniting Western Europe archdiocese with Russian Orthodox Church 01 November 2019, 18:37
- Federation of Jewish Communities president calls sentence on Israeli traveler caught with hashish in Russia excessive 31 October 2019, 11:20
- Putin concerned about Christians' mass exodus from Middle East 31 October 2019, 10:00
- Armenian Church calls U.S. congressmen's recognition of Armenian genocide important for restoration of historical justice 30 October 2019, 15:35
- Russian Church hopes no one else will recognize OCU after Greek Church 30 October 2019, 15:27
- Putin plans to meet with heads of Mideast Christian Churches in Budapest 30 October 2019, 14:06
- Greek Orthodox Church de facto recognizes OCU, Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls it 'backstabbing' 30 October 2019, 12:52
- CSTO fears Islamists who fled from Kurdish custody might migrate to Central Asia 30 October 2019, 11:42
- Georgian Patriarchate denies preparations for Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II's resignation 30 October 2019, 11:01
- Russian Orthodox Church warning of inevitable breakup with Greek bishops over OCU recognition 30 October 2019, 11:00
- Eight communities of Old Believers granted Russian citizenship, planning to move from Brazil, U.S. to Primorye 29 October 2019, 10:49
- Estonian conservatives urge authorities to deprive LGBT of state financing 29 October 2019, 10:22
- The Russian Church suggests making the Bases of Family principal school subject from 1st to 11th grade 29 October 2019, 10:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church suggests making T-shirts with Bible quotes 28 October 2019, 17:47