27 September 2010, 18:22
A Ukrainian diocese outraged with plans to build Uniate cathedral
Odessa, September 27, Interfax - The Odessa Diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church believes there is no grounds for building a Greek Catholic cathedral in the city and such plans have aggressive political backgrounds.
"It's quite evident that there's no ground for building a Greek Catholic church in Odessa. Odessa is an Orthodox city," the diocesan secretary Archpriest Andrey Novikov told Interfax-Religion on Monday.
According to the priest, initiators of the building have their own aim - proselytism, converting Orthodox believers in Unia.
"There is no visible presence of Greek Catholics in Odessa. Whom uniate preachers are going to attract to their parish? Certainly Orthodox Odessites - they will try to catch them in networks of Unia through various intricacies," the interviewee of the agency said.
Fr. Andrey told about numerous addresses from the deputies, representatives of intellectual elite, ordinary residents of Odessa to the diocesan administration as they are outraged that the historic center of Odessa may have "a cathedral of the confession that blurred its history by cooperation with Nazi occupation regime, blessing of SS members and militants of the so-called "Ukrainian rebel army" generally known as Bandera nationalists."
The priest was also puzzled with Uniates' attempts to exaggerate number of their followers in Odessa. "If we speak seriously, then all "data" about numerous Greek Catholics living in Odessa are "pulled out of a hat," he said.
Fr. Andrey pointed not only to numerous proves of the eye-witnesses, but also to his personal experience.
"When I go to the service I drive near this (Uniate - IF) church. It is usually closed. On feast days there are several people, often Polish Catholic nuns who are evidently sent there to give an impression of a crowd. I was surprised to read an Internet interview with a "chancellor" of the Greek Catholic Diocese who shamelessly said that 300-400 people usually visit the church!" the priest said.
According to him, "such immodest lie in mass media offered by the person who consider himself a cleric, one more time proves that the Greek Catholic Church is not going to refuse the old, tested Jesuit slogan "the end justifies the means."
He also asked "experts" concerned "with supposed violations of UGCC rights" where they were when Greek Catholics crushed Western European dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church" and "why these "advocates" of rights and freedoms keep silence today, when thousand believers of the canonical Church pray at the open air in Lvov as they are refused in any site for building an Orthodox cathedral."
- Jehovah 's Witness in Tajikistan sent to jail for 6 months for refusing to wear army uniform 20 October 2017, 10:27
- Interior Ministry official suggests criminalizing gay propaganda 19 October 2017, 17:00
- Prominent Tajik heart surgeon detained on suspicion of links to Salafis – media 19 October 2017, 15:53
- Moscow mufti warns that foreign radical preachers want to sway CIS Muslim space 19 October 2017, 10:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion holds up protestant missionaries as an example for Orthodox priests 18 October 2017, 17:32
- Moscow court declines defense lawyers' appeal against arrest of Christian State leader Kalinin 18 October 2017, 17:12
- Investigative Committee to investigate consolidated case against Christian State leader 18 October 2017, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of the participants in the Inter-Parliamentary Union Assembly to attempts of infringing canonical church in Ukraine 17 October 2017, 14:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges to base legislation on law of morals 16 October 2017, 17:17
- Metropolitan Hilarion is positive about works of priest-rapper 16 October 2017, 14:41
- Communication between people doesn't depend on political, religious differences - Putin at opening of Youth Festival in Sochi 16 October 2017, 10:29
- Christian State leader Kalinin charged with extremism 13 October 2017, 12:32
- Head of Russian Catholics speaks about confident improvement of relations with the Russian Orthodox Church 12 October 2017, 11:05
- Homes of suspected Hizb ut-Tahrir members searched in Bakhchisarai 11 October 2017, 18:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses the United States of the lack of democracy 11 October 2017, 17:21
- Catholics jointly with Orthodox believers will restore Orthodox churches in Syria 09 October 2017, 11:34
- Godless society will not conquer extremism - Vatican representative in Russia 06 October 2017, 18:48
- Religious leaders' dialogue promotes peaceful Karabakh settlement - head of Muslim Board of Caucasus 04 October 2017, 17:58
- Son of Russia's chief rabbi is involved in uniting Jews in Crimea 04 October 2017, 15:12
- Priest is not allowed to Russian pilot Yaroshenko in American prison 04 October 2017, 10:00
- Ingusheti preacher in averted assassination attempt already survived 03 October 2017, 11:47
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes softened U.S. stance on freedom of conscience in Russia 03 October 2017, 10:00
- Attempt on life of religious figure averted in Ingushetia 02 October 2017, 13:31
- State Duma deputies who watched Matilda see it as movie, give filmmaker right to realize idea 29 September 2017, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill equals insulting believers' feelings to extremism 29 September 2017, 15:19
- Patriarch Kirill positively evaluates relations between Uzbekistan's Muslims, Orthodox 29 September 2017, 13:39
- Lukashenko suggests organizing meeting between Patriarch Kirill, pope in Minsk 28 September 2017, 13:59
- Metropolitan Hilarion draws pope's attention to discrimination threat to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 28 September 2017, 10:11
- Syrian authorities are doing everything to protect Christians – Russian MP 28 September 2017, 10:07
- Uzbek leader plans to meet with Patriarch Kirill 28 September 2017, 10:04