01 October 2010, 16:05
Alleged life on newly discovered planet doesn't contradict to Christian teaching - theologian
Moscow, October 1, Interfax - Professor of the Moscow Theological Academy Protodeacon Andrey Kurayev believes that possibility of life on the just opened by American astronauts planet does not contradict to the Christian teaching.
"When people discovered atmosphere on Venus in the 18th century, Lomonosov assumed there could be people there. If they live there then there are two options: they committed sin as we did or they have not done it," Father Andrey told an Interfax-Religion correspondent.
Thus he commented on the news that American astronomers discovered a new planet and conditions there are very similar to Earth, which gave them grounds to think that their "finding" may be inhabited.
Fr. Andrey noted that he shares Lomonosov's opinion "that if aliens are not sinners then they do not need the sacrifice of Christ on Golgotha as they live with God, but if they are sinners that redemptive sacrifice of Christ is given for them as well as for people of Erzya who like Venus inhabitants were unknown to apostles."
The theologian also pointed out that in apostolic times people "knew nothing" about inhabitants of Australia and America, but "it turned out that there existed entire cultures and no one of Bible people knew about them," however, "Christianity accepted them easily and we can't even say that it adapted to these cultures," on the contrary, "Christianity remained the same even in Australia."
"If aliens are people with reason, free will and flesh then everything that Christianity says about people, will refer to them," Fr. Andrey said and noted that he "wouldn't trust any reports about contacts with reasonable creatures."
Any religion says that the man is not the only rational form of life in the Universe and the Orthodox teaching also says that "spirits can adopt shapes of physical flesh and contact people," Fr. Andrey reminded.
He assumes that if in the shape of an alien there comes a spirit "who humiliates Christ, giving him a "kiss of Judas" then it is demon" and his aim is to convince us that "Christ is not God, but just a translator of someone's "secret knowledge."
"And no matter where these "teachers" live in Himalayan Shambala or on other planet. Such myths can be different. But they have the same anti-Christian sting," the Orthodox theologian believes.
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36