05 October 2010, 14:45
Primate of a local Orthodox Church began as a hippie
*** Sermon at Russian rock concerts started with the blessing of Patriarch Alexy's vicar
Moscow, October 5, Interfax - One of the former hippies now heads a local Orthodox church in rank of metropolitan, renowned Orthodox missionary and rector of the two Moscow churches Hegumen Sergy (Rybko) said.
"A former hippie chairs one of the local Orthodox churches, he is a metropolitan... Many of my hippie friends now have become Orthodox believers, some have become priests, some of them are monks," Father Sergy told the Orthodoxy and Modernity website.
The hegumen did not specify what Church was headed by the former hippie and said it was a secret.
He also told that vicar of the Moscow Diocese Archbishop Arseny of Istra blessed him for missionary activity among rockers.
"I came to vicar of the Moscow Diocese Archbishop Arseny of Istra, we discussed our every day questions. Suddenly the Archbishop says: "Father Sergy, and why don't you work with youth?" I answered: "Why? We have a Sunday school, we even teach children to play musical instruments." "It's good, but not enough. You should preach at rock-concerts," he said."
Archbishop Arseny who then was an assistant to Patriarch Alexy II warned the missionary-beginner that he "would be abused" ("everyone who starts something new is usually abused"), but recommended him to tell his opponents that he preached with the blessing and "continue working in peace."
Before this meeting with the Archbishop the former rocker and drummer had not listened to rock music for 22 years, he also had not watched TV and refused to read secular literature.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57