06 October 2010, 16:40
Metropolitan Hilarion thanks Catholics for their active assistance rendered to Orthodox believers abroad
Moscow, October 6, Interfax - Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk noted the active assistance rendered to Orthodox believers abroad by representatives of other Christian confessions.
"Do pundits of our cooperation with the Catholic Church know who provides our fellow countrymen abroad with premises necessary to conduct services, organize Sunday schools and establish Orthodox communication environment?" Metropolitan Hilarion said in an interview posted Wednesday by the official website of the Russian Orthodox Church.
According to him, many newly created Orthodox communities abroad use church buildings provided to them by non-Orthodox communities, primarily Catholics.
"When Catholics give Orthodox believers an opportunity to pray in the churches they own, and mostly without any charge, what can this mean?" Metropolitan Hilarion asked.
He emphasized the number of former Catholics and Protestants who have converted to Orthodoxy and joined Orthodox communities abroad, including as a result of mixed marriages.
"Do those authors who consider themselves the voice of "conservative church communities" know how difficult it is to obtain permission for church construction in the Western Europe and get the approval of the local authorities? Do they know about assistance rendered to our new dioceses by Catholic episcopates and even Protestant communities?" Metropolitan Hilarion asked.
He also urged his opponents to think of those Russians who became illegal migrants in the West and managed to obtain the necessary documents and work "with the help of Catholic and Protestant charity organizations upon request of Russian Orthodox dioceses."
At the same time, mentioning the challenges in relations between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches, Metropolitan Hilarion stated that "it is a willful refusal of Greek Catholics from political expansion (in Ukraine - IF) that will allow us to settle matters which complicate the Orthodox-Catholic relations today."
- Moscow City Hall denies authorization for gay pride parade, rally in support of ECHR decision on law banning gay propaganda 22 June 2017, 18:06
- Aliyev repeals ban on religious activity of citizens trained abroad 22 June 2017, 15:30
- Georgian president calls discussion of restoration of monarchy 'strange PR move' 21 June 2017, 17:50
- Amur Region resident sentenced for hosting meetings of banned religious association 21 June 2017, 17:21
- Dodon to go to Mount Athos on vacation 21 June 2017, 17:14
- Number of those who want to be Orthodox priests has significantly grown in Russia 21 June 2017, 15:13
- Aliyev deems social justice to be best protection from religious radicalism 21 June 2017, 10:51
- Russia doesn't persecute LGBT but bans forcing this orientation on children – Lavrov 21 June 2017, 10:14
- Kremlin to look into ECHR judgment on law banning gay propaganda amongst minors, waits to see details 20 June 2017, 16:10
- Russian Justice Ministry to appeal ECHR judgment on Russian law banning gay propaganda amongst minors 20 June 2017, 13:28
- Radicalization of Kyrgyz nationals rooted in disregard of religion issues by previous administration - Kyrgyz Security Council secretary 20 June 2017, 13:13
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 50,000 euros to Russian LGBT community activists 20 June 2017, 13:10
- Georgian patriarch proposes constitutional monarchy 19 June 2017, 10:24
- Kiev gay pride parade participants set upon by group of men three hours after event 19 June 2017, 10:13
- Two policemen sustain minor injuries during LGBT pride parade in Kiev 19 June 2017, 10:02
- The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia urges to remove Lenin's body from the Red Square 19 June 2017, 09:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate remains one of the largest religious organizations in Ukraine - Culture Ministry 14 June 2017, 16:38
- Russia faces Ukraine's resistance in returning St. Alexander representation in Jerusalem 14 June 2017, 11:51
- Russian Church Abroad calls to support its Bethany school for Arabian girls 14 June 2017, 11:38
- According to some data, Lenin was depicted carrying a piece of cross, not log 13 June 2017, 17:52
- Islamic countries can resolve all of their disagreements peacefully – Aliyev 13 June 2017, 14:42
- Moscow Patriarchate takes measures to protect from hacker attacks 13 June 2017, 12:26
- New army church consecrated in Kyrgyz airbase 13 June 2017, 12:06
- Siberian Old Believers teach Chinese offices to survive in taiga 13 June 2017, 10:00
- Nazarbayev hopes Islamic world can reach understanding soon 09 June 2017, 11:02
- Three extremists spreading radical Islam ideas convicted in Uzbekistan 09 June 2017, 10:17
- Expert on Orthodox shrines compared contemporary Russia to Medieval Europe 09 June 2017, 10:14
- Some 500,000 pilgrims bow to St. Nicholas remains as 3 km line forms outside the Moscow cathedral 08 June 2017, 19:10
- St. Petersburg Church of Scientology founders arrested 08 June 2017, 18:57
- Russian Orthodox Church's relations with Catholics intensify after meeting with Pope - Patriarch Kirill 08 June 2017, 18:54