06 October 2010, 16:40
Metropolitan Hilarion thanks Catholics for their active assistance rendered to Orthodox believers abroad
Moscow, October 6, Interfax - Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk noted the active assistance rendered to Orthodox believers abroad by representatives of other Christian confessions.
"Do pundits of our cooperation with the Catholic Church know who provides our fellow countrymen abroad with premises necessary to conduct services, organize Sunday schools and establish Orthodox communication environment?" Metropolitan Hilarion said in an interview posted Wednesday by the official website of the Russian Orthodox Church.
According to him, many newly created Orthodox communities abroad use church buildings provided to them by non-Orthodox communities, primarily Catholics.
"When Catholics give Orthodox believers an opportunity to pray in the churches they own, and mostly without any charge, what can this mean?" Metropolitan Hilarion asked.
He emphasized the number of former Catholics and Protestants who have converted to Orthodoxy and joined Orthodox communities abroad, including as a result of mixed marriages.
"Do those authors who consider themselves the voice of "conservative church communities" know how difficult it is to obtain permission for church construction in the Western Europe and get the approval of the local authorities? Do they know about assistance rendered to our new dioceses by Catholic episcopates and even Protestant communities?" Metropolitan Hilarion asked.
He also urged his opponents to think of those Russians who became illegal migrants in the West and managed to obtain the necessary documents and work "with the help of Catholic and Protestant charity organizations upon request of Russian Orthodox dioceses."
At the same time, mentioning the challenges in relations between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches, Metropolitan Hilarion stated that "it is a willful refusal of Greek Catholics from political expansion (in Ukraine - IF) that will allow us to settle matters which complicate the Orthodox-Catholic relations today."
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22