25 October 2010, 16:55
Human rights commissioner says abuse did take place at Russian Orthodox monastery
Moscow, October 25, Interfax - An inquiry ordered by Russian human rights commissioner Vladimir Lukin has found that child abuse did take place at Vladimir region's Svyato-Bogolyubsky Monastery.
"The children who previously lived at the monastery told about the abuse they were subjected to by their teachers. They were hit multiple times, forced to do agricultural labor from 3 a.m. till 10 p.m. with 30-minute breaks for breakfast and lunch. They were locked up on the second floor of a cowshed, being deprived of food with only water and dry bread to eat for 16 days in a row. Corporal punishment with 12, 50, 70 strikes with a belt counted aloud by the teacher. Reading aloud psalms until 2 a.m. while having to wake up at 5:30 a.m.," Lukin's spokesperson said in a statement, citing the results of the inquiry.
Several boarders remained after the monastery was closed, the statement said.
"An 18-year-old girl quizzed by the commission said that she remained at the monastery voluntarily. She is studying in the 11th grade externally and has no passport, medical policy unlike many others who live at the monastery," it said.
The commission also found that after the monastery closed, "children were sent to a boarding school in the village of Mikhali and with a cadet corpus in the village of Raduzhny, and some of the children live with families and study at the Novoselskaya School externally.
"According to the monastery's abbess, some of the children were handed over to guardians and parents in other towns," the statement said.
- Putin sees humanitarian values as basis for Russia's and its Church's relations with Vatican 23 August 2017, 18:07
- Vatican representative hopes for broader interaction with Russian Orthodox Church 23 August 2017, 17:58
- Head of Russian Jews urges businessmen not to seek the tops of the Forbes list 23 August 2017, 15:05
- Wearing of clothes of 'destructive ideological movements' in Kazakhstan may be punishable by nearly $700 fine – bill 22 August 2017, 18:04
- Patriarch Kirill considers Orthodox, Catholic Churches' joint provision of assistance to Middle Eastern countries uniting factor 22 August 2017, 17:40
- New stage begins in Russian Church-Vatican relationship - Patriarch Kirill 22 August 2017, 17:38
- Putin to discuss bilateral agenda, Syria, Ukraine with Vatican secretary of state – Kremlin 22 August 2017, 12:54
- Kazakhstan planning to ban wearing clothing of 'destructive ideological movements' 22 August 2017, 10:03
- Romanovs confident about tsar's remains authenticity - royal family union 21 August 2017, 18:41
- Putin proposes creating 'Russian Mecca' in Khersones 21 August 2017, 10:37
- Russia puts Jehovah's Witnesses on prohibited organization list 17 August 2017, 14:10
- Vatican secretary of state to hold talks in Russia 17 August 2017, 13:14
- Vatican secretary of state won't discuss prospects for pope's Russia visit in Moscow - Russian Catholic official 17 August 2017, 12:33
- Increase of number of repatriates from Russia to Israel unrelated to actual relocation – FJCR 17 August 2017, 10:00
- Russian Jews call on Trump to suppress anti-Semitic outbreaks in U.S. 16 August 2017, 19:29
- State Duma dubs U.S. Dept of State's report on oppression of religious minorities in Russia as unprofessional 16 August 2017, 10:11
- Russia tops list of countries by emigration to Israel 16 August 2017, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill, Vatican state secretary to discuss Ukraine situation 16 August 2017, 10:00
- Number of Russian Muslims to undertake hajj increases by 3,000, to 23,500 people, this year 11 August 2017, 13:38
- Priest from Yevpatoria asks to set up a nudist beach in Crimea 10 August 2017, 10:51
- March of the Living to be held in Rostov region to commemorate Jews massacred by Nazi 09 August 2017, 10:00
- Erdogan to attend OIC summit in Astana 08 August 2017, 15:09
- Protestant pastor jailed for 3 years for extremism in Tajikistan 08 August 2017, 10:17
- Priest detained in Vitebsk brothel to be temporary banned from ministry - Russian Orthodox Church 08 August 2017, 10:14
- Russian Jews appalled by reproaches of trying to monetize Holocaust tragedy 08 August 2017, 10:00
- Head of Russian old believers does not believe in overcoming schism with the Moscow Patriarchate 07 August 2017, 13:53
- Over 100 Georgian prisoners imprisoned in Istanbul demand to set up a corner for prayers 07 August 2017, 11:12
- Russian MP congratulates Georgian patriarch on his name day in Tbilisi – media 04 August 2017, 12:15
- Govt prioritizes stronger inter-ethnic, inter-religious accord – Putin 03 August 2017, 15:23
- FJCR President welcomes law on the Victory Day adopted by the knesset 28 July 2017, 14:10