01 November 2010, 14:42
Chechens stage picket outside Finnish church threatening Lutheran pastor
Helsinki, November 1, Interfax - Chechens living in Finland staged an unauthorized picket outside a church in Raasepori during a Sunday evening service to try to intimidate the local clergyman Juha Molari.
Human rights activist and chairman of the Finnish Antifascist Committee Johan Backman told Interfax that some 20 Chechens assembled near the church led by the owner and editor of the Kavkaz Center website of Chechen separatists Mikael Storsjo.
"They unfolded banners accusing Molari of anti-Chechen terrorism and of being a FSB agent and chanted accusations against him," Backman said.
"As Molari was conducting a service, he could not call the police but parishioners were shocked and angered by the picket," he said.
He said he would contact the police to investigate the incident because "the law was apparently broken."
"Not only did the picketers threaten the clergyman but they conducted the picket in the immediate vicinity of the church which is banned by our law," Backman said.
He said that two criminal cases related to the illegal immigration of Chechens to Finland had been launched against Storsjo in the town of Vantaa. Many of the new arrivals are actively assisting the operations of the website.
Backman said that Molari is widely known by his criticism of the portal operating in Finland and propagating extremist views and that he has bent threatened for that.
Thus on September 28 Molari received an e-mail signed by the leader of militants in the North Caucasus Doku Umarov saying: "I advice you to stop your efforts against Kavkaz Center. If you don't change your mind, we will cut off your head and the heads of all your family members. You are given seven days for consideration."
Molari appealed to law enforcement bodies to handle the case but the prosecutor's office declined the plea.
- Church of Moscow Patriarchate burglarized, desecrated in Odessa 24 April 2017, 17:40
- Russian sappers demined Orthodox church in Aleppo 24 April 2017, 13:52
- Two criminals plotting to murder religious figures eliminated in Stavropol Territory 24 April 2017, 10:00
- Volodin calls for relying on Putin's opinion, avoiding radical moves in Lenin's reburial issue 21 April 2017, 13:02
- Zyuganov demands Russian Security Council guarantee Lenin not to be reburied 21 April 2017, 12:46
- Family of a Russian priest creates robots and will represent them in the USA 21 April 2017, 10:18
- Russian Supreme Court declares Russian branch of Jehovah's Witnesses extremist organization, orders its closure 20 April 2017, 19:26
- Over half of Russians believe that Lenin should be buried - poll 20 April 2017, 18:25
- Lenin reburial information attack on Communist Party - party 20 April 2017, 18:22
- United Russia not to support legislation on Lenin's reburial as it splits society - Duma deputy 20 April 2017, 18:17
- Duma members propose bill to regulate burial of Lenin's body 20 April 2017, 16:10
- Ukrainian army has sent about 500 Wahhabis to Mariupol, DNR says 20 April 2017, 13:18
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Lavrov discusses int'l issues, Afghanistan with Prince Aga Khan IV 20 April 2017, 11:23
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Russian church desecrated in Israel 18 April 2017, 18:32
- Patriarch Kirill surprised to see no intl reaction to violence against Church in Ukraine 18 April 2017, 18:28
- Patriarch Kirill urges global community to stop ignoring persecutions of Christians in Iraq, Syria, Africa 18 April 2017, 18:26
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- Taxi driver arrested for recruiting would-be terrorists near St. Petersburg Central Mosque 18 April 2017, 11:24
- Patriarch Kirill congratulated Russian member of the International Space Station on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:32
- 3,000 Easter cakes blessed by Patriarch Kirill delivered to Russian servicemen in Syria 17 April 2017, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to refuse egoism on Easter 17 April 2017, 11:14
- Holy fire will be first delivered to the USA 14 April 2017, 15:43
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Ukrainian army, militia continue to exchange fire despite Easter truce agreement 14 April 2017, 11:18
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Patriarch Kirill's April visit to Uzbekistan rescheduled for May-June - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 April 2017, 17:18
- Muscovites will taste a 1.5 ton Easter cake at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior 13 April 2017, 15:06