03 November 2010, 12:22
Gay activists attack Orthodox protesters in Moscow
Moscow, November 3, Interfax - A group of male gay rights activists attacked members of the Orthodox youth movement Georgievtsy! outside the Council of Europe office in Moscow, who gathered against the European Court of Human Rights ruling declaring Russia's ban on gay pride marches illegal.
The Orthodox protesters have rallied outside the Council of Europe office since October 22, the day after the European court fined Russia for banning gay parades.
The attack occurred as the protesters were heading to the site on Tuesday evening.
The gay rights activists shouted, "Gay pride parade will happen in Moscow!" and "Freedom to gays," a Georgievtsy spokesperson told Interfax-Religion.
The attackers eventually fled after hitting some of the youth activists, with one injured in the head, who had to seek medical assistance. The incident was reported to the police.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church accuses Orthodox church of Ukraine of trying to take over Kiev Lavra of the Caves 24 May 2022, 12:08
- The African Exarchate of Russian Church unites more than 180 priests already 23 May 2022, 15:10
- Patriarch Kirill urges to educate children by the example of today's defenders of Russia 23 May 2022, 14:59
- Patriarch Kirill considers it wrong to judge a person's righteousness by his clothes 23 May 2022, 14:51
- Russian Orthodox Church bewildered by meeting of Pope Francis with Pussy Riot producer Verzilov 23 May 2022, 10:00
- Lawyer German Lukyanov who helped exonerate Nicholas II passes away 20 May 2022, 10:37
- The cathedral of Russian Church desecrated in Vilnius 19 May 2022, 20:14
- Putin's decision on Ukraine operation 'moral choice,' not geopolitics - top Kremlin official 19 May 2022, 20:08
- Duma committee supports bill banning foreigners from using surrogate mother services in Russia 19 May 2022, 15:54
- ROCOR first hierarch to be buried in Jordanville, New York, on May 22 18 May 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill offers Russia renewed understanding of sovereignty based on traditional values, without looking back to West 18 May 2022, 10:09
- Patriarch Kirill proposes stripping private clinics of right to receive female patients for abortions 17 May 2022, 19:49
- Patriarch Kirill describes 'abolition' of Russian culture in West as insane 17 May 2022, 16:27
- Patrushev blames the West of striving to achieve spiritual and moral degradation of Russia 17 May 2022, 16:22
- Patriarch Kirill calls for observance of humanitarian law in areas of special operation in Ukraine, Donbass 17 May 2022, 16:19
- First Hierarch of ROCOR Metropolitan Hilarion passes away 17 May 2022, 11:06
- Patriarch Kirill calls Orban one of few European politicians who stands up for Christian values 16 May 2022, 21:37
- The Russian Church declares a negative attitude to computer games 16 May 2022, 15:44
- Russian experts record more than 70 attacks on churches of UOC by the Ukrainian side 16 May 2022, 15:37
- The Synod of Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks Zelensky to put an end to her oppression 12 May 2022, 17:27
- Jehovah's Witnesses member in Nizhny Novgorod given 6-year suspended sentence 12 May 2022, 11:23
- Sanctions against Patriarch Kirill will not affect his activities in any way – Russian Church 10 May 2022, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill describes Russia as self-sufficient country which doesn't want to harm anyone 08 May 2022, 17:15
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to pray for Russia to be protected from external, internal enemies 06 May 2022, 14:26
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says bans on its activities imposed by local authorities have no legal force 06 May 2022, 12:06
- Russia to hold consultations with Hamas on situation around Al-Aqsa 05 May 2022, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill can't be scared with sanctions - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 16:01
- Pope Francis' recount of conversation with Patriarch Kirill incorrect - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 15:38
- Russian Orthodox Church asks to use its potential in opening humanitarian corridors in special operation zone 04 May 2022, 14:47
- No agreement on Putin's meeting with Pontiff – Peskov 04 May 2022, 14:10