08 November 2010, 14:02
Patriarch Kirill prays for Viktor Chernomyrdin's repose
*** Chernomyrdin thought about people's welfare and tried to act in good conscience
Moscow, November 8, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia on Friday took part in a prayerful farewell ceremony for Russian former Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin in Moscow Novodevichy Convent.
After the service conducted in the convent Assumption Church by Metropolitan Yuvenaly of Krutitsy and Kolomna, the Patriarch addressed his primatial word to participants in the mournful ceremony.
He reminded that that a lot of good and right things had lately been said about the life of "this outstanding state figure," but here "in the church we should say about the most important things that will be valuable before God."
"Things we are involved in, to which we give power of our reason, will, feelings often seem to have absolute value. Most often we are mistaken as God in His Judgment won't asks us about many things we do, but He will ask us about the things that have true everlasting value," Patriarch Kirill said.
According to him, as a state official Chernomyrdin was influenced by many factors when making a decision, but the decisions he had taken are known to people and were most often dictated by two conditions.
"The first one is people's welfare and the second one - I know it as I had a chance to talk to Viktor Stepanovich on most dramatic days of our newest history - he tried to act in good conscience. When a person acts in good conscience he acts in compliance with God's will and when his priority in decision making is benefit of others he makes things pleasant to God," the Patriarch said.
The Church Primate urged to pray that the Lord would forgive sins of the late, "which he has certainly committed as every person does."
"Today he is already there. He doesn't need anything we can give him as people except one thing: he needs our prayer as the prayer helps to stand before God and give Him the answer," Patriarch Kirill said urging "to keep in our hearts eternal prayerful memory about God's servant Viktor."
After a short prayer before the coffin, the Patriarch said good-bye to the late and offered his personal condolences to the President, the Russian Prime Minister, widow of the first Russian leader Naina Yeltsina and Chernomyrdin's family, who came to mournful service.
- Bashkortostan may become special administrative district as optimal system for Islamic financing model 07 July 2022, 10:00
- Chief Rabbi of Moscow Pinchas Goldschmidt has left his post 06 July 2022, 21:29
- Russian Hajj participants will pray for success of the special operation in Ukraine 06 July 2022, 12:50
- No substantive contacts on possible Putin-Pontiff meeting – Kremlin 06 July 2022, 12:45
- Sochnut program director denies reports of cessation of operations of Russian branch of Jewish Agency for Israel 06 July 2022, 10:01
- Russian Church receives the first state certificate of registration in Africa 04 July 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill thinks no one can reformat Russia 04 July 2022, 17:11
- Mufti Tajuddin believes that no problem in the world can be solved without Russia 04 July 2022, 14:25
- Almost 20 people held during anti-LGBT protest in Tbilisi 04 July 2022, 10:02
- Ukrainian hackers attack website of Russian Orthodox Church's external relations dept 01 July 2022, 14:40
- Federal Penitentiary Service, which used to carry out death penalty, opposes its reintroduction 30 June 2022, 21:37
- Lavrov thanks the Jewish Museum of Moscow for carefully preserving the memory of important pages of history 30 June 2022, 11:37
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10