15 November 2010, 15:41
Kaliningrad Orthodox diocese advises Catholic archbishop "not to throw stones in glass house"
Kaliningrad, November 15, Interfax - The Kaliningrad Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church has denied the reproaches made by Archbishop Paolo Pezzi, the head of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese in Moscow, who has recently protested the transfer of a former Roman Catholic church building in Kaliningrad to the Moscow Patriarchate.
"It seems more than strange that Archbishop Paolo Pezzi has publicly accused all Orthodox people of slander, lack of confidence, and 'fanning ethnic and religious feud' without even trying to negotiate and discuss the current situation. Such badly thought-out statements can do real damage to the cooperation and relations between our churches, and maybe not only in the Kaliningrad Region," the communication service of the Kaliningrad Diocese said in a statement received by Interfax-Religion on Monday.
Criticizing the transfer to the Russian Church of the building of the organ hall of the Kaliningrad philharmonic, the former Catholic Church of the Holy Family, Pezzi mentioned the history of Eastern Prussia, which had no Orthodox churches, but only Lutheran and Catholic churches.
"Such 'history-related' statements cause surprise and we have to recall that the ethnic and religious composition of the Kaliningrad Region fully changed over the past sixty years. Today the overwhelming majority of the region's residents consider themselves Orthodox. The Kaliningrad Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church bases its service on this fact, trying to meet the real needs of believers," the diocese said in its statement.
For this reason, the Church needs new premises for its work, and sometimes the Church receives objects that are extremely rundown.
Speaking about the history of Eastern Prussia and Europe in general, the Orthodox diocese called for recalling who played the deciding role in defeating fascism.
"The land of former Eastern Prussia is stained by the blood of Soviet warriors, who gave their lives in the fight against mankind's most horrible enemy in the 20th century," the statement says.
The stay of modern residents of Kaliningrad on this land is "legal both from a moral and legal viewpoint" and a part of former Eastern Prussia became "an integral part of the Russian Federation," the statement says.
The statement also says that the Kaliningrad Region is not a successor to Eastern Prussia, which means that "any references to the past have legal significance only in the limits of the historical existence of the Kaliningrad Region."
In its address to Pezzi, the Orthodox diocese recalled the Italian proverb stating that people in a glass house should not throw stones. "The Kaliningrad Region is a special region on the map of Russia. Its uniqueness dictates to us, representatives of different religions, a model of peaceful co-existence and cooperation, for which the Russian Orthodox Church is ready," the statement says.
- Pope Francis arrives in Havana to meet with Patriarch Kirill 12 February 2016, 22:12
- Patriarch Kirill arrives at Havana airport to meet with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill hopeful about upcoming meeting with Pope (updated) 12 February 2016, 19:08
- DPR court hands down first death sentence 12 February 2016, 16:36
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Cuba for meeting with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 10:27
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Crimea 12 February 2016, 10:00
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46