15 November 2010, 16:25
UNESCO expresses concern at restoration works carried out by Ferapontov Monastery Museum
Moscow, November 15, Interfax - The deadline for reporting to UNESCO is expiring soon. UNESCO invited Russia to establish a special board, including the representatives of the Moscow Patriarchate in order to develop a joint management system on the World Heritage religious properties in the Russian Federation.
The decisions adopted by the 34th session of UNESCO World Heritage Commission held in Brazil on July 25 - August 3, 2010 deal with the Ferapontov Monastery inscribed on the World Heritage List in 2000.
The Ferapontov Monastery Museum should "submit to the World Heritage Centre a report on the state of conservation of the property," states the final session document submitted Monday to Interfax-Religion.
The report of the Decisions expresses UNESCO's concern at the extensive restoration and reconstruction projects carried out without prior notification to, or review by, the World Heritage Centre and further requests the Museum to invite UNESCO representatives to monitor the property that has been inscribed on the World Heritage List since 2000.
Furthermore, the Commission invites Russia to establish a special board, including representatives of the Moscow Patriarchate to manage the World Heritage religious properties in the Russian Federation. According to UNESCO, the board functions may include developing "appropriate legal measures, specific conservation, restoration and use rules and a joint management system for the World Heritage religious properties in the Russian Federation."
The report on the above decision should be submitted by February 1, 2011.
The monastery was founded in the Vologda Region in late 14th century and eventually became a large center of cultural development. It was a place of exile for distinguished clerics, such as Patriarch Nikon. Today, the Monastery is a branch of the Kirillo-Belozersky historical and architectural open-air museum.
- Bashkortostan may become special administrative district as optimal system for Islamic financing model 07 July 2022, 10:00
- Chief Rabbi of Moscow Pinchas Goldschmidt has left his post 06 July 2022, 21:29
- Russian Hajj participants will pray for success of the special operation in Ukraine 06 July 2022, 12:50
- No substantive contacts on possible Putin-Pontiff meeting – Kremlin 06 July 2022, 12:45
- Sochnut program director denies reports of cessation of operations of Russian branch of Jewish Agency for Israel 06 July 2022, 10:01
- Russian Church receives the first state certificate of registration in Africa 04 July 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill thinks no one can reformat Russia 04 July 2022, 17:11
- Mufti Tajuddin believes that no problem in the world can be solved without Russia 04 July 2022, 14:25
- Almost 20 people held during anti-LGBT protest in Tbilisi 04 July 2022, 10:02
- Ukrainian hackers attack website of Russian Orthodox Church's external relations dept 01 July 2022, 14:40
- Federal Penitentiary Service, which used to carry out death penalty, opposes its reintroduction 30 June 2022, 21:37
- Lavrov thanks the Jewish Museum of Moscow for carefully preserving the memory of important pages of history 30 June 2022, 11:37
- Founder of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Krasnoyarsk jailed for 6 years 27 June 2022, 19:42
- Izyum Diocese in Ukraine's Kharkov Region refuses to be independent of Russian Orthodox Church 27 June 2022, 16:19
- Borrell regrets Patriarch Kirill left off EU list of sanctioned individuals 27 June 2022, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill calls for dismissing doubt about rightness of Russian way 27 June 2022, 11:04
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10