16 November 2010, 13:10
Russian specialist denied attendance at European Parliament hearings on religious freedom in Russia
Brussels, November 16, Interfax - The organizers of the European Parliament hearings on religious freedom in Russia have not allowed President of the Russian Association of Centers for Religious and Sectarian Studies and prominent Orthodox authority in present-day religious sects Alexander Dvorkin to attend the hearings on Monday, the Russian specialist told Interfax.
"They were afraid to hear the truth about the activities of religious sects in Russia," Dvorkin said.
Vice President of the European Federation of Centers for Research and Information on Sectarianism (FECRIS) and Chairman of the Justice Ministry's Council of State Experts in Religious Studies, Dvorkin applied to attend the hearings of religious freedom in Russia and of alleged abuses of the law on extremism against religious minorities, set for November 15. The hearings were organized by member of the European Parliament Cornelis de Jong of the Netherlands and by head of the Human Rights Without Frontiers nongovernmental organization Willy Fautre of Belgium. Dvorkin was denied attendance because his application allegedly arrived too late, which was not true, however, according the Russian office at the European Union.
Dvorkin said that as a result of the organizers' technical error he received a copy of Fautre's letter, which describes him as an "odious fighter against sects," and which recommends that he be denied attendance. But the conference was attended by representatives of the United States, including representatives of organizations, funded by sects and lobbying their interests in Russia.
Dvorkin arrived at the European Parliament on November 15, hoping to settle the problem and to get in touch with Russian-speaking member Tatyana Zhdanok of Latvia. But he was denied access to the European Parliament building under the pretext that a pass could not be provided to him due to computer breakdown. Finally, Zhdanok's secretariat secured a pass for Dvorkin, which was given to him on the condition that he would visit Zhdanok's office, but categorically not attend the hearings, of which the organizers informed the Russian Orthodox Church's envoy to the EU.
"My participation in these hearings would have been very limited - just a couple of questions, at best. But even my two possible questions caused panic and hysteria among the organizers. This shows their totalitarian thinking on the one hand and the absence of professionalism on the other. They wanted to launch one more attack of criticism against Russia, using far-fetched 'facts' and situations. Only this way can I explain the absolutely inadequate and anti-democratic reaction from these 'fighters for human rights,' when they learned that their cozy get-together could be joined by a true specialist, who can refute their inventions, using facts," he said.
- Pope Francis arrives in Havana to meet with Patriarch Kirill 12 February 2016, 22:12
- Patriarch Kirill arrives at Havana airport to meet with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 21:45
- Patriarch Kirill hopeful about upcoming meeting with Pope (updated) 12 February 2016, 19:08
- DPR court hands down first death sentence 12 February 2016, 16:36
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Cuba for meeting with Pope Francis 12 February 2016, 10:27
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members arrested in Crimea 12 February 2016, 10:00
- Pope's superiority as recognized by Catholics not to affect protocol of his meeting with Patriarch Kirill - organizer 11 February 2016, 17:42
- Catholics of Russia praying for success of meeting between patriarch and pope 11 February 2016, 15:08
- Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis agree upon joint declaration (updated) 11 February 2016, 15:05
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes upcoming meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis (updated) 11 February 2016, 13:57
- Abkhazia has become the third European country with full ban on abortions 11 February 2016, 11:45
- Meeting of Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis to continue for three hours 11 February 2016, 10:29
- New film about Griboyedov proves not 'outraged Muslim crowd' killed him, Mikhalkov says 10 February 2016, 19:40
- Russian govt not involved in preparing Patriarch-Pope meeting - spokesman 10 February 2016, 10:03
- Russian and Coptic churches support restoration of air contacts between Russia and Egypt 09 February 2016, 17:48
- Abortion ban law adopted in Abkhazia 09 February 2016, 14:42
- Former Yukos shareholders' attempts to claim title to Paris land plot challenged at court - Russian Embassy 09 February 2016, 10:40
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Church dismisses as "hoax" reports about seizure of church construction site in Paris 08 February 2016, 17:37
- Russian diplomats checking reports of Russia's Paris property seizure in Yukos lawsuit 08 February 2016, 17:17
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Seven ISIL members preparing terror attacks in Moscow, St. Petersburg detained in Yekaterinburg 08 February 2016, 12:54
- Tajikistan's mutiny participants, leaders of outlawed Islamic Renaissance Party to face court 08 February 2016, 12:44
- Georgian Patriarchate asks to provide security to human rights activist from LGBT community 08 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church criticizes Ukraine's Foreign Ministry 05 February 2016, 17:47
- OSCE mission investigate the situation around the church in Ukrainian village of Ptichya 05 February 2016, 16:46