16 November 2010, 13:10
Russian specialist denied attendance at European Parliament hearings on religious freedom in Russia
Brussels, November 16, Interfax - The organizers of the European Parliament hearings on religious freedom in Russia have not allowed President of the Russian Association of Centers for Religious and Sectarian Studies and prominent Orthodox authority in present-day religious sects Alexander Dvorkin to attend the hearings on Monday, the Russian specialist told Interfax.
"They were afraid to hear the truth about the activities of religious sects in Russia," Dvorkin said.
Vice President of the European Federation of Centers for Research and Information on Sectarianism (FECRIS) and Chairman of the Justice Ministry's Council of State Experts in Religious Studies, Dvorkin applied to attend the hearings of religious freedom in Russia and of alleged abuses of the law on extremism against religious minorities, set for November 15. The hearings were organized by member of the European Parliament Cornelis de Jong of the Netherlands and by head of the Human Rights Without Frontiers nongovernmental organization Willy Fautre of Belgium. Dvorkin was denied attendance because his application allegedly arrived too late, which was not true, however, according the Russian office at the European Union.
Dvorkin said that as a result of the organizers' technical error he received a copy of Fautre's letter, which describes him as an "odious fighter against sects," and which recommends that he be denied attendance. But the conference was attended by representatives of the United States, including representatives of organizations, funded by sects and lobbying their interests in Russia.
Dvorkin arrived at the European Parliament on November 15, hoping to settle the problem and to get in touch with Russian-speaking member Tatyana Zhdanok of Latvia. But he was denied access to the European Parliament building under the pretext that a pass could not be provided to him due to computer breakdown. Finally, Zhdanok's secretariat secured a pass for Dvorkin, which was given to him on the condition that he would visit Zhdanok's office, but categorically not attend the hearings, of which the organizers informed the Russian Orthodox Church's envoy to the EU.
"My participation in these hearings would have been very limited - just a couple of questions, at best. But even my two possible questions caused panic and hysteria among the organizers. This shows their totalitarian thinking on the one hand and the absence of professionalism on the other. They wanted to launch one more attack of criticism against Russia, using far-fetched 'facts' and situations. Only this way can I explain the absolutely inadequate and anti-democratic reaction from these 'fighters for human rights,' when they learned that their cozy get-together could be joined by a true specialist, who can refute their inventions, using facts," he said.
- Putin gives Patriarch Kirill painting featuring Kremlin's main Orthodox church 20 November 2017, 12:21
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls for laws protecting child since conception 20 November 2017, 10:46
- Belgorod imam sentenced to 8.5 years for abetting terrorism 17 November 2017, 13:08
- Georgian Ministry of Interior concerned with “sweet bombarding” of countryside schools with priests participating 17 November 2017, 10:47
- Searches conducted at home of imam of one of Nazran's main mosques 17 November 2017, 10:07
- Moscow mufti urges adoption of Islam development strategy to 2030 16 November 2017, 21:55
- Ukrainian parliament makes Catholic Christmas a public holiday 16 November 2017, 21:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells U.S. ambassador of importance of developing "heart-level" contacts among pious Russians, Americans 16 November 2017, 18:46
- Talk of restoring monarchy in Russia premature - Maria Romanova 16 November 2017, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill asks Putin to back Donbass prisoner exchange proposal 15 November 2017, 16:33
- Justice Ministry regrets ECHR rejection of Russian request to review decision on law banning gay propaganda among children 15 November 2017, 10:00
- Head of the Anglican Church arrives in Moscow next week 13 November 2017, 16:32
- Jewish Museum and Center of Tolerance celebrate their fifth anniversary 13 November 2017, 16:28
- Soviet Union managed to build "a kingdom of justice," church official believes 13 November 2017, 10:24
- Particle of St. Seraphim of Sarov relics will be brought to Greece 13 November 2017, 10:20
- Russia should impose 5-10-year moratorium on Lenin burial topic - Church representative 13 November 2017, 10:01
- Head of Madrid-based House of Romanov to meet with Patriarch Kirill in Moscow on Nov 18 09 November 2017, 10:29
- Russia without revolution could have achieved more, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 07 November 2017, 18:10
- Business ombudsman calls for Lenin to be removed from Mausoleum, for final end to be put to Soviet past 07 November 2017, 10:11
- Kadyrov waiting for Zyuganov's apology for remarks on Lenin's burial 07 November 2017, 10:07
- Putin offers Trump condolences over Texas tragedy 07 November 2017, 10:02
- Mausoleum is, must remain Lenin's burial place – Zyuganov 02 November 2017, 18:04
- Head of human rights council suggests turning Mausoleum into museum, selling tickets to enter it, think of Lenin's body as pharaoh's mummy 02 November 2017, 17:26
- Majority of Russian Protestants unlike western stand for traditional morals - Metropolitan Hilarion 02 November 2017, 16:37
- Patriarch Kirill invites Patriarch Ilia II to Moscow to celebrate 100th anniversary of restoration of Russian patriarchate 02 November 2017, 16:36
- Lenin's burial not on Kremlin agenda - Peskov 02 November 2017, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes 'color' revolutions for using quasi-religious rhetoric 02 November 2017, 10:01
- Church representative speaks against renaming the October Revolution to "Russian" one 01 November 2017, 16:30
- Russian Jews point out to Patriarch Kirill’s special role in opposing Anti-Semitism and xenophobia 01 November 2017, 14:00
- Patriarch Kirill: if we do not educate our people, others will do it 01 November 2017, 13:29