18 November 2010, 14:39
It is impossible to remove Tolstoy's excommunication, but Christian hearts can't be closed for a prayer for his soul - priest
Moscow, November 18, Interfax - Despite of high appraisal of Leo Tolstoy's works it is impossible to remove his excommunication from the Orthodox Church today, hundred years after his death as it was Tolstoy who excommunicated himself, executive secretary of the Patriarchal Council for Culture Archimandrite Tikhon (Shevkunov) believes.
Responding with Patriarch Kirill's blessing to the Russian Book Union president Sergey Stepashin, Father Tikhon reminded that the Holy Synod by its decision of February 20, 1901, to excommunicate Tolstoy "only confirmed the already accomplished fact - Count Tolstoy excommunicated himself from the Church, fully broken with it and he didn't deny it, but even stressed when he had a good opportunity to do it."
When Tolstoy was 27 he had an idea of creating a new faith and his diaries of that period prove it, the priest reminds. When he grew old the writer felt he was close to his aim, created a small sect of his followers and wrote The Gospel of Tolstoy and the Russian Orthodox Church became the main object of his attacks.
"His words and his deeds directed against it were truly terrific for an Orthodox mind. Moreover, Tolstoy's work in last decades of his life was unfortunately destructive for Russia - the country he loved so much. It is not by chance that Bolshevist leader (Lenin - IF) highly approved of this branch in Tolstoy's work and called the novelist "a mirror of Russian revolution," Father Tikhon noted in his letter published by the Rossijskaya Gazeta on Thursday.
Fr. Tikhon stresses that several generations of Orthodox readers in Russia and abroad highly appraise Tolstoy's writings, "however as the writer did not reconcile with the Church (Tolstoy did not publicly deny his tragic spiritual delusions) excommunication by which he excommunicated himself from the Church cannot be removed" and it means that "canonically it is impossible for the Church to pray for him."
"Nevertheless compassionate heart of any Christian who reads the great writer's fiction can't be closed for sincere humble prayer for his soul," the priest sums up.
- 'God Kuzya' accomplices detained in Moscow 17 January 2020, 17:59
- Sword seized from Yakut shaman returned 17 January 2020, 17:58
- Task of Jewish community is address help to people - Rabbi Lazar 16 January 2020, 20:43
- New U.S. ambassador to Russia prefers ice hockey to ice-water dips 16 January 2020, 18:18
- Russian Church praises Putin's attention to traditional values of Russians 15 January 2020, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch becomes godfather to another 500 children 15 January 2020, 15:06
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Stalin could have become a good bishop 13 January 2020, 19:36
- Russian Church predicts further schisms in western Protestant Churches 13 January 2020, 16:32
- Russian Church believes churches are good for making Orthodox acquaintances 13 January 2020, 14:10
- Russian Orthodox Church sees dangers in reduction of marriage age in Russia 13 January 2020, 14:05
- The Russian Church expects Putin will refer to health care and education in his yearly address 13 January 2020, 13:55
- Filaret recalls signature under UOC-KP liquidation 13 January 2020, 10:06
- Jehovah's Witnesses' activities shut down in Murmansk 30 December 2019, 21:02
- Putin sends Christmas, New Year's greetings to European leaders 30 December 2019, 19:14
- ROC calls for protection of rights of Orthodox Christians in Montenegro 30 December 2019, 16:04
- Georgian patriarch, cardinal from Vatican discuss challenges faced by Christian world 30 December 2019, 11:11
- Over 100 'program' churches built in Moscow over 9 years 27 December 2019, 19:56
- Patriarch Kirill ceases liturgical commemoration of patriarch of Alexandria for recognizing new church of Ukraine 26 December 2019, 16:45
- Leader of Jehovah's Witnesses in Vologda detained in extremist organization probe 25 December 2019, 19:46
- Russian Jews agree with Putin's opinion on Polish ambassador who supported Hitler 25 December 2019, 17:51
- Cassation court posthumously acquits Orthodox dissident Shchipkova 40 years after sentencing 25 December 2019, 16:16
- Patriarch Kirill on Christmas Day calls on Pope, other Christian leaders to combine efforts to help people affected by armed conflicts 25 December 2019, 15:25
- Some 64% of Ukrainians don't support shifting Christmas celebrations to December 25 - opinion poll 25 December 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church could open parishes in Africa if Patriarchate of Alexandria sides with Ukrainian schism - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 24 December 2019, 21:48
- U.S. Department of State report on freedom of religion in Russia not worthy of attention - Russian Orthodox Church 23 December 2019, 13:52
- Patriarch Kirill's ex-press secretary appointed to new position 20 December 2019, 16:19
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod to make decision on Patriarch of Alexandria after his recognition of OCU next week 20 December 2019, 14:51
- Six Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Penza 13 December 2019, 16:23
- Rosobrnadzor bans acceptance of students to seminary of Evangelical-Lutheran church 13 December 2019, 11:38
- Patriarch Kirill calls to continue fight for Orthodox unity in 2020 12 December 2019, 10:04