19 November 2010, 10:18
Moscow Patriarchate, Vatican wage common fight against secular liberalism - Patriarch Kirill
Moscow, November 19, Interfax -Despite a difficult relationship between the Russian Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches, they have been effectively cooperating along many avenues, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia told students and diplomats at the Russian Foreign Ministry Diplomatic Academy in Moscow.
"Together with the Roman Catholic Church we have been defending the traditional Christian concept of family and human values from aggressive secular liberalism. Our Churches are waging a common fight against medico-biological experiments incompatible with respect for human dignity," His Holiness said.
Cooperation with the Roman Catholic Church has become possible thanks to Pope Benedict XVI and is proceeding simultaneously along several avenues.
"Starting from 1980, we have been conducting a theological dialogue in the course of which and together with other Orthodox churches we were discussing problems that separate us such as the role of the Roman bishop, the Unia issue and others," the Patriarch said.
This has not been an easy dialogue as it is "impossible to find quick solutions to problems that have separated the Christian East and West for a whole millennium".
Nevertheless, "thorough theological analysis of all that has happened is being carried out, in particular, our understanding of history because many differences stem from the way we understand it", Patriarch Kirill said.
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church expressed concern over trends in some Protestant communities towards liberalizing theology and Christian morals. Thus, some Protestant communes have sanctioned mono-sex marriages and the ordaining of homosexuals.
At the same time, he pointed out that in the majority of Churches in the CIS and Eastern Europe - the Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant Churches - adhere to the traditional understanding of Christian values.
For example, Protestants in Russia and the Baltic countries are closer to Orthodoxy than to their Western fellow Christians because "they are not striving to liberalize their doctrine", the Patriarch said.
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29