19 November 2010, 17:30
Russian stars ask Moscow mayor to ban slaughter of animals on Eid al-Adha
Moscow, November 19, Interfax - Renowned figures of culture turned to Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin with an open letter urging him to make practice of Eid al-Adha sacrifice more civilized.
"We are extremely depressed with the situation that is taking place in Moscow in recent years. On the days of celebrations dedicated to religious Muslim feast Kurban Bairam (Eid al-Adha - IF) animals are publicly slaughtered in various places of Moscow and many Muscovites including children have to watch it," celebrities told the mayor in their letter as its text was conveyed to Interfax-Religion on Friday.
According to them, sights at the unsanctioned slaughters "cause shock of people not accustomed to cruelty." Alive sheep with tied legs "are put into luggage of passenger cars, killed and carved near the trucks in presence of live animals, at the same places blood-covered corps are weighted."
Raids of animal protection organizations called by Muscovites disclosed dozens of sites where animals were massively slaughtered near apartment buildings, shops and schools.
"Such situation cannot but cause serious concerns. It is well-known that accepting screens of violence and cruelty as a norm makes people more hardhearted and extremely negative influence social prosperity," the stars stress.
Besides, they believe that public slaughter of animals cause "condemnation and protest of the capital's residents and it constantly leads to conflict situations."
Authors of the address say they respect religious feelings of Muslims, but believe that "bloody public sacrifices of animals is alien tradition for Russia where great humanists Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Yesenin, Leskov, Chekhov, Gorky and many others spared no effort to strengthen norms of compassionate attitude to any life."
Celebrities ask the new Moscow mayor to sign instructions to ban holding the rite in public and strictly limit its sites as it was done in 2006.
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04