03 December 2010, 18:35
Metropolitan Hilarion: Patriarch Kirill will take the first opportunity to visit Mount Athos
*** The Moscow Patriarchate seeks to strengthen the Russian Orthodox Church's presence in Mount Athos
Moscow, December 3, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia plans a visit to Holy Mount Athos, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk said.
"Patriarch Kirill visited Mount Athos several times as Metropolitan and fell in love with this place. He will visit Mount Athos at the first opportunity. It will be most convenient to combine this trip with his official visit to Hellas Orthodox Church which is planned in a few years to come," Metropolitan Hilarion told Interfax-Religion in an interview after his trip to Holy Mount Athos.
According to him, Patriarch commissioned him to visit Mount Athos every year to maintain bilateral relations and provide any necessary assistance to Russian brethren of Mount Athos, "for conducting joint prayers and gain spiritual wealth from the treasury of the holy monastic tradition."
Today, the Russian monastery of Agios Panteleimon (Saint Panteleimon) has 60 brethren. Some of them serve in New Thebaid and Xilury sketes, and metochions in Krumitsa (Athos), Constantinople and Moscow. Beside, one or two Russian monks serve in most Greek monasteries. The followers of the Russian Orthodox Church also occupy individual cells in different Athos monasteries. The total number of Russian monks does not exceed 100 people.
Metropolitan Hilarion recalled that once the total number of the Russian monks in Athos had reached two thousand, and even five thousand including pilgrims and people working in monasteries, but "the tragic events of the 20th century dealt a heavy blow on the Russian Athos."
"The Russian Church is aware of its commitment to maintain the Russian monastery of Agios Panteleimon, and the monastery represents the Russian Orthodox faith in Mount Athos," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54
- Orthodox community in Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to appeal decision on property change 24 January 2020, 18:50
- FJCR doesn't link Issachar's possible pardon to handover of Alexander Metochion to Russia 24 January 2020, 14:03
- Jews fleeing Europe - Kantor 24 January 2020, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill regrets that mankind didn't fully learn lesson from Holocaust 24 January 2020, 09:55
- Global community should respond to manifestations of antisemitism, attempts to vindicate Nazis - Putin 23 January 2020, 14:08
- Associates of shaman Gabyshev detained in Yakutia 23 January 2020, 11:28
- Local Jehovah's Witnesses leader held in Murmansk 23 January 2020, 11:22
- World's biggest Orthodox church may be built in Urals 23 January 2020, 11:21
- Issue of Alexander Metochion handover to Russia could be resolved in coming days - Israeli govt 23 January 2020, 11:18
- German society working at St. Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem not informed of property handover 22 January 2020, 18:52
- Putin to meet with Patriarch Theophilos and mother of Israeli woman convicted in Russia 22 January 2020, 17:53
- Russian embassy in Israel not commenting on reports on giving Russia rights to Alexander's metochion in Jerusalem 22 January 2020, 15:58
- Bomb scare in Cathedral of Christ the Savior 22 January 2020, 11:55
- Russian Church dismisses criticism about seeking to seize leadership of Orthodox world 21 January 2020, 21:33
- Russian Church to open aid center in Syria for children affected by hostilities 21 January 2020, 20:01
- Filaret demands that Constantinople return original of decree issued by UOC-KP assembly on its dissolution 20 January 2020, 19:27
- 'God Kuzya' accomplices detained in Moscow 17 January 2020, 17:59
- Sword seized from Yakut shaman returned 17 January 2020, 17:58
- Task of Jewish community is address help to people - Rabbi Lazar 16 January 2020, 20:43
- New U.S. ambassador to Russia prefers ice hockey to ice-water dips 16 January 2020, 18:18
- Russian Church praises Putin's attention to traditional values of Russians 15 January 2020, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch becomes godfather to another 500 children 15 January 2020, 15:06
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Stalin could have become a good bishop 13 January 2020, 19:36
- Russian Church predicts further schisms in western Protestant Churches 13 January 2020, 16:32
- Russian Church believes churches are good for making Orthodox acquaintances 13 January 2020, 14:10