09 December 2010, 12:45
Russia needs system of spiritual values, not ideology, Patriarch Kirill believes
*** The USSR has the most powerful ideology, but it exploited Christian idea
Moscow, December 9, Interfax – Russia should revive Christian outlook instead of ideology, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia believes.
"They sometimes say that the country can't live without an ideology, that an ideology is certainly needed. I asked myself a question: is it really true? And I thought: no, it's not true. Any ideology lives in three, maximum four generations of people. No ideology that has ever existed in the world lived more than this term," the Patriarch said at a reception given by the Krasnodar Territory governor Alexander Tkachev in Krasnodar.
According to Patriarch Kirill, the USSR has the most powerful ideology.
"Why was it so powerful? Why did it survive three generations and another ideology in Germany only one? Because the ideology that existed in our country exploited the Christian idea," the patriarchal press service has quoted the Primate as saying.
People kept the faith not because they visited churches - "they couldn't visit them, in spiritual sense they were forced underground," but they preserved "the system of values, formed in Orthodoxy and the ideology exploited this system of values," the Primate said.
Thanks to reasons rooted in Orthodoxy, "heroes of building yards" came into being and people who "faced the bullets."
"Christian moral idea genetically worked in people. And ideologies don't live. We don't need any ideologies. Our people has a powerful and clear Christian system of values," Patriarch Kirill reminded.
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58