20 December 2010, 10:29
Jewish religious leader accuses top mufti of besmirching Russia's "native population"
Moscow, December 20, Interfax - The head of a Russian Jewish association accused one of Russia's top Muslim clerics of making offensive statements about Russia's "native population."
"The negative statements by mufti [Ravil] Gainutdin about the native population of Russia, which is forever drinking, and 'hard-working migrants' are, of course, unfair. We resolutely reject this. All nations have different kinds of people in them but one must by no means make any generalizations," rabbi Zinovy Kogan, chairman of the Congress of Jewish Religious Organizations and Communities in Russia, told reporters.
"Today secular and religious leaders must be extremely careful in their formulations if they may damage ethnic peace in light of the latest events on Manezhnaya Square," Kogan said in reference to a violent riot on the square, which lies next to the Kremlin, on December 11.
"In the Interreligious Council of Russia and at bilateral level, we have very good, productive relations with the Muslims," he said.
On Thursday head of the Russian Council of Muftis Ravil Gainutdin argued at an Interreligious Council meeting that it is essential for Russia to have migrants, most of whom come from other parts of the former Soviet Union, mainly Central Asia, Azerbaijan and Armenia, and are often targeted in racist attacks.
"Today Russian villages are falling apart or disappearing. One must not blame the migrants - they are in effect our slaves, they come here to work for us. We must work ourselves and create wealth for our country," Gainutdin said.
"For 20 years we have raised a generation that doesn't like to work but likes to watch porno, drink alcohol, take drugs, hang out in clubs - none of them will go out into the field to sow or to harvest," he said.
"The nationalists who are insisting that all migrants, all those who are 'not our own people,' be driven out of Russia have started the job of ruining the Russian Federation," Gainutdin said.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42