21 December 2010, 17:37
Trustee of the CIS Interreligious Council speaks for international status to Jerusalem
Moscow, December 21, Interfax - Co-chairman of the tutorial committee of the CIS Interreligious Council Rakhamim Emanuilov sees the way to regulate the Middle East conflict in settling the status of Jerusalem.
"Why don't we consider a possibility to get back to the ideas of 1947 and give Jerusalem a special international status, perhaps under UNESCO auspices?" Emanuilov told an Interfax-Religion correspondent in his interview on Tuesday.
He accepts that it won't settle "accumulated problems," but "it's impossible to reach peaceful settlement in the Middle East without compromise on Jerusalem."
The interviewee of the agency said that "this holy for Christians, Muslims and Jews city belongs not only to Israelis or Arabs, but to the whole humanity," but immediate participants in the Middle East conflict "stick to their tough positions on the question whom this city should belong to."
Emanuilov reminded that when after World War II the British mandate on Palestine expired, in 1947 UN suggested a plan to set up a special international regime for Jerusalem. It supposed that the holy city will be administered by the UN. International regime should have been preserved for ten years and then the question of Jerusalem status was expected to be considered at a referendum so that residents could decide on the future of their city, but "the events developed in a different way: series of Arabic-Israeli wars started and that's what we have now."
The Orientalist believes that the Middle East conflict is a result of "bipolar world when super powers struggled for the spheres of influence."
"This competition was fatal for the Middle East. The conflict between Israel and Arabic countries was backed up by super powers. Crash of the bipolar system led settlement in the Middle East to the dead end," Emanuilov said.
According to him, in conditions of modern multipolarity it seems reasonable to attract to the process of peaceful settlement "not only political, but financial and economic" circles.
"Figuratively speaking, not only dollars, but reals, euros, shekels, rubles and even rupiah and yuans should participate in building peace," the interviewee of the agency believes.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57