28 December 2010, 12:19
Patriarch Kirill in his Christmas greeting urges Catholics and Protestants to oppose evil powers
Moscow, December 28, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia congratulated non-Orthodox Christians of the world on Christmas according to the new style.
"In Christ Jesus we all are new creation, we all are born for the new immortal life so that "turning away from evil and the desires of this world, we may be living wisely and uprightly in the knowledge of God in this present life (Titus 2:12)," the Patriarch said in his message posted on the Moscow Patriarchate official website.
According to the Primate, Christians are urged to dedicate "this gift" to "opposing evil powers in the world around us."
"Today as never before humanity needs our sermon. Unfortunate and those in need who like Baby Jesus have "no room for them in the inn" (Luke 2:7) are waiting for the joyful news that "God is with us," the message reads.
Patriarch Kirill urged "to witness to the Nativity of Christ again and again not only with word but with action, preaching the Kingdom of God where the darkness has not dispersed yet."
He wished Christians "peace, joy, prosperity and abundant blessings of God."
The patriarchal message is addressed to Pope Benedict XVI of Rome, Patriarch and Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians, head of the Anglican Communion Archbishop Rowen Williams, head of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland Archbishop Kari Makinen, head of the Council of Evangelical Church in Germany Nikolaus Shneider and others.
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58