13 January 2011, 15:02
Metropolitan Kornily believes attacks against Tallinn mayor in building church on Russian means unclever
Moscow, January 13, Interfax - Metropolitan Kornily of Tallinn and All Estonia spoke to back up Tallinn mayor Edgar Savisaar who was earlier criticized for his intention to ask Russian St. Andrew the First-Called Foundation to donate on building an Orthodox church.
"I consider attacks against city mayor Edgar Savisaar not only groundless, but unintelligent, irrelevant and proving that people who unleashed the scandal don't know the core of the question," the Metropolitan said in his interview published by the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily on Thursday.
He stressed that Orthodox believers in Estonia cooperate with Savisaar not like with the leader with the leader of an oppositional party, but rather like the mayor. According to the Metropolitan, without permission of the local administration "it is impossible even to choose a land lot, leaving alone the approval of building plan and so on."
"We have cooperated with St. Andrew the First-Called Foundation not for the first year. Yes, Estonian residents donate much to Foundation of the "Quick-to-Hear" Icon of the Mother of God. But to complete the building process much more is needed," the Metropolitan stressed.
He pointed out that St. Andrew the First-Called has extended help in building and repairs of churches in Israel and Ukraine "and in has never caused hostile attitude of any politicians and special services."
"Why no one is interested who give money for churches of Jehovah's Witnesses, who preach there, how much these preachers earn and how much they give to state treasury? Our clerics have official salaries and pay taxes to the Estonian state," the Metropolitan said.
The Church of the Mother of God Icon "Quick to Hear" is built in Lasnamae District where Russian-speaking people mostly live. Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia laid the church foundation in autumn 2003. Today the territory in front of the church is being equipped. It is decided that it will bear late Primate's name who was Tallinn native.
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59
- Russian Orthodox Church offered to imprison rapists for life 05 October 2020, 14:05
- Russian Church suggests opening a museum dedicated to repressions in the mausoleum after Lenin's funeral 05 October 2020, 11:57