17 January 2011, 13:02
Patriarch Kirill suggest measures to decrease abortions, back up orphans and families with many children
Moscow, January 17, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia sent Russian authorities suggestions how to improve national policy on family and childhood.
As to opposing abortions, the Patriarch urged to accept departmental instruction of the Ministry of Health and Social Development "that makes preservation of pregnancy a priority task for the doctor and bans medical initiatives on its interruption," official website of the Moscow Patriarchate reports.
The Primate urged to introduce in medical practice a compulsory two-week period of waiting after "informed consent" - a document that woman signs before an abortion as this period exists in developed countries.
Patriarch Kirill also spoke for establishing a network of orphanages for lonely mothers in difficult life situation and centers of crisis pregnancy with physiologists and representatives of traditional religions in every maternity hospital.
The Patriarch suggested to take out operation on pregnancy interruption (except cases of direct threat to mother's life) from the system of medical insurance, to exclude abortions from tax payers fund, to explain in schools how a child develops in mother's womb, to provide state support to the media campaign condemning abortions and promoting maternity.
Patriarch Kirill believes it necessary to legally secure a family's priority to independently settle questions regarding its inner life, to set up additional guarantees of parents' right to bring up their children including formation of their world outlook and life style, guarding them from dangerous and immoral deeds, regulating their day regimen, performing religious rules, communicating with the opposite sex.
The Patriarch urged to strictly minimize and clearly put down in the legislation conditions that make possible to take children from family without court decision.
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on his Name Day 24 May 2013, 11:33
- Russian Foreign Ministry says U.S. State Department's religious freedom report politicized 24 May 2013, 10:00
- Court bans gay pride parades in Kiev on May 25 (updated) 23 May 2013, 21:09
- Georgian, Ecumenical Patriarchs not expected in Abkhazia 23 May 2013, 18:11
- Catholicos-Patriarch of Georgia says plans to visit Abkhazia with Ecumenical Patriarch (updated) 23 May 2013, 17:46
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- Radical Islamism is the most real threat to Russia - General Kulikov 22 May 2013, 14:53
- Belarus dismisses U.S. report's criticism of religious freedom restrictions 22 May 2013, 14:39
- U.S. ambassador invited to State Duma to discuss NGO, religious organizations 22 May 2013, 12:18
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Discussions of interfaith problems must be intensified in UN, intl organizations - Lavrov 21 May 2013, 17:04
- Russian patriarch concerned about violence against Christians in Africa 21 May 2013, 17:01
- Tajik president calls on Islamic Development Bank to invest in regional infrastructure 21 May 2013, 15:53
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Suspected militants killed near Moscow may have belonged to Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan - source 21 May 2013, 10:00
- Hizb ut-Tahrir activist from Kyrgyzstan detained in Alma-Ata 20 May 2013, 11:43
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- Head of Consumer Right Protection Society fined 100,000 rubles for slandering Cathedral of Christ the Savior Fund 17 May 2013, 16:58
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Suspected leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir Sakhalin unit detained 17 May 2013, 11:54
- Hezbollah's interests are in Lebanon, it just protects Shiite shrines in Syria - Lavrov 17 May 2013, 10:11
- Leader of Hizb ut-Tahrir unit detained in Bishkek 16 May 2013, 15:48