18 January 2011, 15:25
"Alien" from Sirius sect leader to remain in custody in Novosibirsk
Novosibirsk, January 18, Interfax - A court in Novosibirsk has extended the custody of leader of the Ashram Shambala sect Konstantin Rudnev, charged with setting up a sect and committing sexual offences.
Rudnev's custody and the criminal investigation have been extended by two months, spokesperson for the top regional investigative committee Marina Kinzhalova told Interfax.
Fifteen former members of the sect, who now reside in other regions, have been recognized as victims.
Reports said earlier that police in Novosibirsk region crushed the Ashram Shambala sect in October 2010.
Rudnev calls himself Sri Jnan Avatar Muni and also "an alien from Sirius", sent down to the earth to enlighten humans and lead them to the truth.
The sect, led by Rudnev, was set up more than 20 years ago, according to the regional police.
Rudnev was charged with establishing a religious organization, which violated citizens' privacy and rights, and with rape and sexual abuse. He was arrested in early October 2010.
Two cottages in the village of Plotnikov and Kirov, bought on the sect's money, were seized as part of the criminal investigation.
The sect used Oriental occult practices. Its members, mostly young people aged between 17 and 30, would be isolated from their habitual environment and social contacts, pressured psychologically and emotionally, and incited to leave there homes, break up with their relatives and switch from usual moral standards to sectarian.
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33