12 January 2006, 17:28
Attempt to ban Jewish organizations is comical - Federation official
Moscow, January 12, Interfax - The Federation of Russian Jewish Communities has described as comical the campaign launched by the Letter of 500, which demanded a ban on Jewish organizations from the Russian Prosecutor General's Office last year.
The first request to the Prosecutor General's Office was lodged in January 2005. Back then, 19 State Duma deputies signed on the letter. The number of signatures kept growing, first to 500, then to 5,000 and finally to 15,000. The collection of signatures goes on in the Internet.
"The campaign can be stopped only by legal action. In fact, a legal action is in progress, and it was initiated by authors of the letter rather than us. The number of defendants continues to increase. Now it is both Jewish organizations and the media covering the issue," head of the federation's public relations department Boruh Gorin told a Thursday press conference at the Interfax main office.
Gorin said the federation retained several lawyers, but they said "they have nothing to do, as it is a matter of maniacal ideas, and the whole legal action looks comical."
Meanwhile, the Nashi youth movement plans to hold pickets near the State Duma building and the offices of the Communist Party and Rodina later in the day to demand the expulsion of deputies who signed on the request to ban Jewish organizations in Russia.
"We suggest that Gennady Zyuganov take urgent steps and expel from the Communist Party people who signed on the notorious anti-Semitic appeal for a ban on all Jewish organizations in Russia," says a Nashi statement received by Interfax.
They made a similar suggestion to Rodina leader Dmitry Rogozin.
Nashi also said it is inadmissible to allow "fascists from the National Bolshevik Party of Eduard Limonov" to gather in Communist Party buildings.
Nashi protested against the Moscow synagogue attack and said they had visited the wounded in hospital "to apologize for the actions of fascists in Russia and offer assistance."
- Alexander III's tomb not opened under Soviet rule - Russian Investigative Committee 27 November 2015, 16:46
- Specialists decide not to open any more Romanov graves in Nicholas II family death case 27 November 2015, 16:18
- Russian soldiers killed in Syria were commemorated in Moscow 27 November 2015, 14:47
- Samples of remains of Alexander III will be taken to Moscow soon - head of Russian State Archive 27 November 2015, 14:14
- Experts open grave of Alexander III in St. Petersburg 27 November 2015, 13:51
- Muslim Board of Caucasus considers events in Baku an attempt to seize power 27 November 2015, 13:29
- Church appreciates of Putin's policy for his 'iron will' and readiness to go all the way 27 November 2015, 10:30
- Crimean authorities refuse to use Turkish services for building the mosque 27 November 2015, 10:06
- Four worshippers, four policemen killed in clash in Baku - TV (updated) 26 November 2015, 16:10
- Tsar Alexander III grave in Petersburg to be opened on Nov 27, samples of remains to be sent to Moscow 26 November 2015, 13:43
- Kyrgyz court tightens punishment for former mosque worker recruiting fighters for Syria 25 November 2015, 14:21
- Delegation of Russian Orthodox Church cancels visit to Istanbul 25 November 2015, 13:56
- Turkish administration purposefully supports Islamization of its country - Putin 25 November 2015, 12:27
- Turkey made a blow on good will of Russian people and should apologize 25 November 2015, 11:43
- Russia not striking mosques in Syria - Defense Minister 25 November 2015, 10:06
- Archpriest Chaplin urges Russia to realize ideals of Holy Rus, caliphate, USSR 24 November 2015, 17:58
- Kadyrov calls law on immunity of holy books from jurisdiction 'triumph of justice' 24 November 2015, 15:25
- General Secretary of the International Union of Muslim Scholars calls false the information about his support of Russian operation in Syria 24 November 2015, 13:28
- Expert on Islam suggests banning the International Union of Muslim Scholars in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:04
- The Russian Church is the most rapidly growing organization in Russia 24 November 2015, 10:02
- At least one month required for studies related to royal family case - leading genetic scientist 23 November 2015, 16:42
- Russians see IS as most probable adversary in next decade - poll 23 November 2015, 12:23
- Alexander III shrine to be opened Tuesday for DNA study in probe into death of last Russian tsar's family - source 23 November 2015, 11:29
- IS recruiting unit eliminated in Nalchik 23 November 2015, 10:00
- Jewish community opposes death penalty in Russia 20 November 2015, 18:25
- Pope accepts Poroshenko's invitation to visit Ukraine 20 November 2015, 18:13
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin backs death penalty in some situations, favors elimination of terrorists before trial 20 November 2015, 16:22
- Up to 10,000 ISIL militants have origins in CIS countries - Syrian ambassador to Russia 20 November 2015, 15:38
- Head of Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia condemns double standards in evaluation of terrorism, counterterrorism 20 November 2015, 14:55
- Church official suggests expanding religious education in schools to prevent terrorism 20 November 2015, 14:54