12 January 2006, 17:28
Attempt to ban Jewish organizations is comical - Federation official
Moscow, January 12, Interfax - The Federation of Russian Jewish Communities has described as comical the campaign launched by the Letter of 500, which demanded a ban on Jewish organizations from the Russian Prosecutor General's Office last year.
The first request to the Prosecutor General's Office was lodged in January 2005. Back then, 19 State Duma deputies signed on the letter. The number of signatures kept growing, first to 500, then to 5,000 and finally to 15,000. The collection of signatures goes on in the Internet.
"The campaign can be stopped only by legal action. In fact, a legal action is in progress, and it was initiated by authors of the letter rather than us. The number of defendants continues to increase. Now it is both Jewish organizations and the media covering the issue," head of the federation's public relations department Boruh Gorin told a Thursday press conference at the Interfax main office.
Gorin said the federation retained several lawyers, but they said "they have nothing to do, as it is a matter of maniacal ideas, and the whole legal action looks comical."
Meanwhile, the Nashi youth movement plans to hold pickets near the State Duma building and the offices of the Communist Party and Rodina later in the day to demand the expulsion of deputies who signed on the request to ban Jewish organizations in Russia.
"We suggest that Gennady Zyuganov take urgent steps and expel from the Communist Party people who signed on the notorious anti-Semitic appeal for a ban on all Jewish organizations in Russia," says a Nashi statement received by Interfax.
They made a similar suggestion to Rodina leader Dmitry Rogozin.
Nashi also said it is inadmissible to allow "fascists from the National Bolshevik Party of Eduard Limonov" to gather in Communist Party buildings.
Nashi protested against the Moscow synagogue attack and said they had visited the wounded in hospital "to apologize for the actions of fascists in Russia and offer assistance."
- Former Moscow Patriarchate employee charged with treason to remain in custody until October 31 July 2015, 17:44
- Russia's Muslims expect Islamic world leaders at cathedral mosque opening ceremony in Moscow 31 July 2015, 10:02
- IS militants could include tens of thousands of Europeans - EU official 31 July 2015, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls murders of priest and nun in Kiev outrageous 30 July 2015, 10:04
- Nun of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate murdered in Kiev 29 July 2015, 18:01
- Islamic State recruits people worldwide – Bortnikov 29 July 2015, 11:46
- FSB director calls for discreditation of Islamists' leaders 29 July 2015, 11:10
- Priest attacked in Kiev dies 29 July 2015, 10:44
- Poroshenko promises no state interference in forming united local Ukrainian Orthodox Church 29 July 2015, 10:02
- Ex-leader of Bashkir national movement jailed for three years for religious extremism 28 July 2015, 12:16
- Russia to continue Donbass peace efforts in response to Patriarch Kirill's message - the Kremlin 28 July 2015, 12:14
- Kremlin to host presidential reception in honor of Baptizer of Russia 28 July 2015, 11:39
- Patriarch Kirill launches anti-war appeal to Putin, Poroshenko on eve of Russia Christianization Day (updated) 27 July 2015, 18:16
- Kiev priest attack must not remain unpunished - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2015, 17:25
- Chelyabinsk Islamist gets 5-year sentence 27 July 2015, 17:02
- Wahabi from Dagestan detained with ammo, heroin on bus to Moscow 27 July 2015, 16:59
- Moscow Patriarchate priest badly wounded in Kiev 27 July 2015, 11:48
- Jews with synagogues on wheels to visit over 70 cities of Russia 27 July 2015, 10:34
- Arkhangelsk authorities ban LGBT event on Airborne Troops Day 27 July 2015, 10:11
- Georgian Patriarch successfully operated on in Germany 27 July 2015, 10:00
- Chapel or memorial sign to appear in place of collapsed barracks in Omsk 24 July 2015, 12:45
- Kyrgyz PM proposes to build special prison for religious extremists 24 July 2015, 11:42
- Russian Orthodox Church urges authorities against leaving people without ideological "wheel and sails" 23 July 2015, 15:40
- Valaam abbot gives up Internet, suggests restricting use of smartphones in monasteries 23 July 2015, 10:01
- No way back to Chechnya for those joining Islamic State – Kadyrov 22 July 2015, 12:23
- Tajik former election committee member from Islamic party jailed for illegal arms possession 21 July 2015, 14:35
- State Duma deputy asks Russian foreign minister to initiate international tribunal for ISIL 21 July 2015, 11:20
- At least 500 Tajiks fighting alongside IS - Interior Ministry 21 July 2015, 10:01
- Ukrainian miners build a church at the depth of 800 meters 20 July 2015, 16:53
- Patriarch Kirill urges Ukraine not to politicize the term 'Russian world' 20 July 2015, 13:35