12 January 2006, 17:28
Attempt to ban Jewish organizations is comical - Federation official
Moscow, January 12, Interfax - The Federation of Russian Jewish Communities has described as comical the campaign launched by the Letter of 500, which demanded a ban on Jewish organizations from the Russian Prosecutor General's Office last year.
The first request to the Prosecutor General's Office was lodged in January 2005. Back then, 19 State Duma deputies signed on the letter. The number of signatures kept growing, first to 500, then to 5,000 and finally to 15,000. The collection of signatures goes on in the Internet.
"The campaign can be stopped only by legal action. In fact, a legal action is in progress, and it was initiated by authors of the letter rather than us. The number of defendants continues to increase. Now it is both Jewish organizations and the media covering the issue," head of the federation's public relations department Boruh Gorin told a Thursday press conference at the Interfax main office.
Gorin said the federation retained several lawyers, but they said "they have nothing to do, as it is a matter of maniacal ideas, and the whole legal action looks comical."
Meanwhile, the Nashi youth movement plans to hold pickets near the State Duma building and the offices of the Communist Party and Rodina later in the day to demand the expulsion of deputies who signed on the request to ban Jewish organizations in Russia.
"We suggest that Gennady Zyuganov take urgent steps and expel from the Communist Party people who signed on the notorious anti-Semitic appeal for a ban on all Jewish organizations in Russia," says a Nashi statement received by Interfax.
They made a similar suggestion to Rodina leader Dmitry Rogozin.
Nashi also said it is inadmissible to allow "fascists from the National Bolshevik Party of Eduard Limonov" to gather in Communist Party buildings.
Nashi protested against the Moscow synagogue attack and said they had visited the wounded in hospital "to apologize for the actions of fascists in Russia and offer assistance."
- Putin warns that buying oil from IS militants finances terrorism 24 October 2014, 17:39
- USA supports neo-Nazis and Islamic radicals instead of democracy - Putin 24 October 2014, 17:11
- Russian sculptor Tsereteli to open a monument to John Paul II at Notre-Dame de Paris 24 October 2014, 15:43
- Two Wahabis get long prison terms for plotting terror act at Russia's chemical arms disposal plant 24 October 2014, 15:04
- Canalization manholes with St. George the Victory-Bearer can appear in Moscow, Orthodox believres outraged 24 October 2014, 14:40
- Tajik family fined for giving lavish welcome-back to relative after Mecca hajj 24 October 2014, 13:13
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church official believes peace efforts of Kiev authorities insufficient 23 October 2014, 14:17
- IOPS chairman asks Iraqi president to release Tariq Aziz 23 October 2014, 11:32
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Historian doubts Nicholas II abdicated the throne 22 October 2014, 17:20
- Constitutional Court turns down Pussy Riot member appeal against disorderly conduct qualification 22 October 2014, 16:10
- Israeli authorities are ready to extradite Grozovsky - source 22 October 2014, 15:57
- Chapel founded at the site of September 11 terrorist act in New York 22 October 2014, 10:03
- Uniates leader calls UOC of the Moscow Patriarchate the only canonical Church of Ukraine 22 October 2014, 10:02
- Head of the Patriarchal Commission on Family suggests banning Internet and computer games for people under 21 22 October 2014, 10:01
- Russians see more threats from the USA than from radical Islamists - poll 21 October 2014, 14:52
- Archpriest Chaplin to Khodorkovsky: people basing on God's law instead of oligarchs and West will determine Russia's future 21 October 2014, 14:49
- Church arson reported in Ukraine's Chernigov Region 21 October 2014, 14:00
- Russian Jewish community sets example for Europe - Rabbi Lazar 21 October 2014, 11:42
- Over half of Russians say ISIL is threat - poll 20 October 2014, 15:18
- Obligatory introduction of electronic passports and universal fingerprinting make the way to absolute dictatorship - Russian church official believes 20 October 2014, 11:27
- About 1,000 Evangelical Christians gather in central Kiev to pray for Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:33
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Pope Francis discuss Greek-Catholics' actions in Ukraine 20 October 2014, 10:04
- Moscow Patriarchate urges Catholics to jointly protect family at a legal level 17 October 2014, 12:03
- Russian Church urges Uniates to stop subversive activities against it in Ukraine 17 October 2014, 11:07
- Renowned Italian expert speaks about growing Christianophobia on Europe 17 October 2014, 10:06
- The Valaam Monastery to produce Italian sorts of cheese 16 October 2014, 17:58
- Kyrgyz parliament passes bill banning "gay propaganda" at 1st reading 16 October 2014, 15:39
- Orthodox human rights advocate suggests appointing OSCE curator on Russophobia 16 October 2014, 10:05
- Parents-Satanists call their baby Lucifer 16 October 2014, 10:02