12 January 2006, 17:28
Attempt to ban Jewish organizations is comical - Federation official
Moscow, January 12, Interfax - The Federation of Russian Jewish Communities has described as comical the campaign launched by the Letter of 500, which demanded a ban on Jewish organizations from the Russian Prosecutor General's Office last year.
The first request to the Prosecutor General's Office was lodged in January 2005. Back then, 19 State Duma deputies signed on the letter. The number of signatures kept growing, first to 500, then to 5,000 and finally to 15,000. The collection of signatures goes on in the Internet.
"The campaign can be stopped only by legal action. In fact, a legal action is in progress, and it was initiated by authors of the letter rather than us. The number of defendants continues to increase. Now it is both Jewish organizations and the media covering the issue," head of the federation's public relations department Boruh Gorin told a Thursday press conference at the Interfax main office.
Gorin said the federation retained several lawyers, but they said "they have nothing to do, as it is a matter of maniacal ideas, and the whole legal action looks comical."
Meanwhile, the Nashi youth movement plans to hold pickets near the State Duma building and the offices of the Communist Party and Rodina later in the day to demand the expulsion of deputies who signed on the request to ban Jewish organizations in Russia.
"We suggest that Gennady Zyuganov take urgent steps and expel from the Communist Party people who signed on the notorious anti-Semitic appeal for a ban on all Jewish organizations in Russia," says a Nashi statement received by Interfax.
They made a similar suggestion to Rodina leader Dmitry Rogozin.
Nashi also said it is inadmissible to allow "fascists from the National Bolshevik Party of Eduard Limonov" to gather in Communist Party buildings.
Nashi protested against the Moscow synagogue attack and said they had visited the wounded in hospital "to apologize for the actions of fascists in Russia and offer assistance."
- Russian church founder near the European Council 02 October 2014, 09:45
- Muslim sheep slaughter to be banned in Moscow during Eid al-Adha feast 01 October 2014, 10:08
- Two prosecuted following police van incident near Moscow mosque 30 September 2014, 16:10
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42