28 January 2011, 18:19
Renowned missionary believes Russia can lead globalization on its own conditions
Moscow, January 28, Interfax - Renowned Orthodox missionary, head of the Information and Publishing Directorate of the Synodal Youth Department Hieromonk Dimitry (Pershin) believes Russia has all opportunities to become a leader in the epoch of globalization.
"Russia has something to say in the epoch of globalization. We can conduct globalization on our conditions as in fact globalization is a market of ideas, a market of values and we have something to offer," he said in his interview with Interfax-Religion.
According to him, it is not be chance that two thirds of visitors in the Tretyakov Gallery are Japanese, Chinese, English, Europeans and Americans and better part of guided tours go to icon halls. "The entire world comes here to see the beauty of Russian Orthodoxy, Russian Christianity. I think if with the help of progress more Internet users will see this beauty then there's a chance that Russian spiritual culture will represent Christianity," the priest said.
He believes that the 20th century was a century of "successful Orthodox mission, especially Russian Orthodoxy, as thanks to emigration Russian spiritual culture became heritage of the whole world."
Father Dimitry said that today Rublyov's Trinity "witness to Christ among Protestants, Catholics, in all continents" and without knowledge of Russian theologians Vladimir Lossky, Father John Meyendorff, Father Alexander Men, Father Georges Florovsky "it's impossible to get a diploma in any Catholic and in majority of Protestant seminaries and universities."
The priest pointed out that films about Russian Orthodox shrines and saints "attract attention as there a person finds answers on the most important questions," and "until a person will ask these question and he will ask them till the end of times, mission will have a chance for success."
"Once Apostle Paul used his knowledge of Greek philosophers and mythology to speak to the Areopagus. It also was globalization, he passed beyond the limits of Jewish tradition and went to absolutely different people, of different culture and some of his listeners later became Christians," the priest said.
- Police bust female extremist cell in southern Kyrgyzstan 27 January 2015, 17:54
- Church set on fire in Kiev 27 January 2015, 16:19
- Russia calls for inquiry into Babi Yar church arson 27 January 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill condemns cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 26 January 2015, 18:45
- Over two thirds of Russians aware of Charlie Hebdo attack - poll 26 January 2015, 17:08
- Church torched in Babi Yar 26 January 2015, 16:40
- Some 3,000 strong protest in Jalal-Abad against Muhammad caricatures 26 January 2015, 14:47
- Roskomnadzor issues warning to newspaper RBC for publishing images offensive to Muslims 26 January 2015, 12:10
- Peskov would like "Leviathan" movie to be released in Russia 26 January 2015, 10:06
- Duma calls on journalists not to incite religious hatred 26 January 2015, 10:05
- Warsaw's stance insults memory of Auschwitz liberators - FJCR head 23 January 2015, 13:17
- Russia could be one of world's last civilizations - Church official 23 January 2015, 10:16
- Dagestan leader slams insults to Muslims' religious feelings 23 January 2015, 10:05
- Russia needs to revive Soviet-era sense of solidarity - Patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:11
- Russian political parties must not destroy basic values - patriarch Kirill 22 January 2015, 19:01
- Russian bishop blasts child euthanasia, abortions 22 January 2015, 18:13
- Lavrov considers caricatures on religious topics tasteless 22 January 2015, 10:44
- Church will support fight against nationalism and Nazism - Patriarch 22 January 2015, 10:19
- U.S., French, Israeli flags burned during Baku protest against Muhammad cartoons 21 January 2015, 18:37
- Russian Church expresses solidarity with Muslims who protested in Grozny 21 January 2015, 10:03
- Bishkek rally demands ban on Prophet Muhammad cartoons 20 January 2015, 13:53
- Israeli court orders priest Grozovsky extradition to Russia, defense planning to appeal 19 January 2015, 18:02
- Body of Georgian priest killed in fire on Norman Atlantic ferry taken to Georgia 19 January 2015, 17:00
- Over 1 million people take part in rally protesting cartoons of Prophet Muhammad held in Grozny 19 January 2015, 14:50
- Moscow Muslims see no sense in holding anti-caricature protest 19 January 2015, 10:08
- Russian lawmaker wants budget funding recovered from Leviathan film director 19 January 2015, 10:05
- Georgian Orthodox Church condemns Prophet Muhammad caricatures 19 January 2015, 10:04
- Some 15,000 rally in Ingushetia against cartoons of Prophet Muhammad 19 January 2015, 10:03
- Moscow officials reject application to hold demo against religious insults 19 January 2015, 10:01
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43