28 January 2011, 18:19
Renowned missionary believes Russia can lead globalization on its own conditions
Moscow, January 28, Interfax - Renowned Orthodox missionary, head of the Information and Publishing Directorate of the Synodal Youth Department Hieromonk Dimitry (Pershin) believes Russia has all opportunities to become a leader in the epoch of globalization.
"Russia has something to say in the epoch of globalization. We can conduct globalization on our conditions as in fact globalization is a market of ideas, a market of values and we have something to offer," he said in his interview with Interfax-Religion.
According to him, it is not be chance that two thirds of visitors in the Tretyakov Gallery are Japanese, Chinese, English, Europeans and Americans and better part of guided tours go to icon halls. "The entire world comes here to see the beauty of Russian Orthodoxy, Russian Christianity. I think if with the help of progress more Internet users will see this beauty then there's a chance that Russian spiritual culture will represent Christianity," the priest said.
He believes that the 20th century was a century of "successful Orthodox mission, especially Russian Orthodoxy, as thanks to emigration Russian spiritual culture became heritage of the whole world."
Father Dimitry said that today Rublyov's Trinity "witness to Christ among Protestants, Catholics, in all continents" and without knowledge of Russian theologians Vladimir Lossky, Father John Meyendorff, Father Alexander Men, Father Georges Florovsky "it's impossible to get a diploma in any Catholic and in majority of Protestant seminaries and universities."
The priest pointed out that films about Russian Orthodox shrines and saints "attract attention as there a person finds answers on the most important questions," and "until a person will ask these question and he will ask them till the end of times, mission will have a chance for success."
"Once Apostle Paul used his knowledge of Greek philosophers and mythology to speak to the Areopagus. It also was globalization, he passed beyond the limits of Jewish tradition and went to absolutely different people, of different culture and some of his listeners later became Christians," the priest said.
- Seven female Islamists apprehended in Kyrgyzstan 30 September 2014, 12:50
- Parishioners of the Moscow Mosque of the Council of Mufti attacked the police bus 29 September 2014, 15:50
- Russia picks Zvyagintsev's Leviathan for Oscar 29 September 2014, 10:08
- Police raid St. Petersburg Scientology church as part of fraud probe 29 September 2014, 10:06
- Up to 50,000 militants fight for Islamic State - Patrushev 26 September 2014, 12:04
- Two jailed in Azerbaijan for plotting mosque bombing 26 September 2014, 11:49
- Ukrainian Army occupied a church in Donetsk and fires from it 26 September 2014, 10:20
- Putin praises Russian Jews' role in consolidating interfaith harmony 26 September 2014, 10:07
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Israel ready to extradite Russian priest Grozovsky - source (updated) 25 September 2014, 18:11
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to visit Latvia 25 September 2014, 15:40
- The Menorah memorial desecrated with swastika in Babiy Yar 25 September 2014, 14:49
- Patriarch Kirill denies being vehicle of Kremlin policy 25 September 2014, 09:57
- Dissenters take over Orthodox church in Rovno Region of Ukraine 24 September 2014, 14:35
- Over 20,000 Hasidics arrive in Uman to celebrate New Year 24 September 2014, 14:15
- Hasidic pilgrims not afraid of traveling to Ukraine - border guards 24 September 2014, 10:50
- Russian religious leaders send anniversary greetings to Interfax 23 September 2014, 15:04
- Israeli embassy in Russia confirms Grozovsky detention 22 September 2014, 12:45
- State sovereignty is more important than camembert and jamon, leader of Russia's Jewish community believes 22 September 2014, 10:17
- Moscow to host Quran intl recitation contest on September 20 19 September 2014, 15:14
- Cross set up in Belgrade to commemorate defenders of the city during the First World War 19 September 2014, 11:12
- Ukrainian Army shells Donetsk monastery 18 September 2014, 16:53
- Russia and Vatican to hold art exhibition on Biblical themes 18 September 2014, 10:10
- Sts Martha and Mary Convent in Moscow decorated with a Japanese symbol 18 September 2014, 10:01
- Released Lugansk priest claims pilot Savchenko suggested to divide them to organs 17 September 2014, 10:22
- Ukrainian bishop believes the country's authorities Satanic 16 September 2014, 12:15
- Two Hizb ut-Tahrir activists detained in Kyrgyzstan 16 September 2014, 11:42
- War against Islamic State promises benefit to Russia - religious expert 16 September 2014, 11:33
- The Ukrainian church official accuses the country's authorities in eliminating their own people 15 September 2014, 16:28
- Russian Foreign Ministry calls a "mockery of common sense" discharge of the Femen activists for their action in Notre Dame de Paris 15 September 2014, 14:22