28 January 2011, 18:19
Renowned missionary believes Russia can lead globalization on its own conditions
Moscow, January 28, Interfax - Renowned Orthodox missionary, head of the Information and Publishing Directorate of the Synodal Youth Department Hieromonk Dimitry (Pershin) believes Russia has all opportunities to become a leader in the epoch of globalization.
"Russia has something to say in the epoch of globalization. We can conduct globalization on our conditions as in fact globalization is a market of ideas, a market of values and we have something to offer," he said in his interview with Interfax-Religion.
According to him, it is not be chance that two thirds of visitors in the Tretyakov Gallery are Japanese, Chinese, English, Europeans and Americans and better part of guided tours go to icon halls. "The entire world comes here to see the beauty of Russian Orthodoxy, Russian Christianity. I think if with the help of progress more Internet users will see this beauty then there's a chance that Russian spiritual culture will represent Christianity," the priest said.
He believes that the 20th century was a century of "successful Orthodox mission, especially Russian Orthodoxy, as thanks to emigration Russian spiritual culture became heritage of the whole world."
Father Dimitry said that today Rublyov's Trinity "witness to Christ among Protestants, Catholics, in all continents" and without knowledge of Russian theologians Vladimir Lossky, Father John Meyendorff, Father Alexander Men, Father Georges Florovsky "it's impossible to get a diploma in any Catholic and in majority of Protestant seminaries and universities."
The priest pointed out that films about Russian Orthodox shrines and saints "attract attention as there a person finds answers on the most important questions," and "until a person will ask these question and he will ask them till the end of times, mission will have a chance for success."
"Once Apostle Paul used his knowledge of Greek philosophers and mythology to speak to the Areopagus. It also was globalization, he passed beyond the limits of Jewish tradition and went to absolutely different people, of different culture and some of his listeners later became Christians," the priest said.
- Nazarbayev calls on Kazakh youth to keep far away from religious extremism 22 December 2014, 18:13
- Russia spends €75 mln to build a spiritual center in Paris 22 December 2014, 17:15
- Donetsk Metropolitan asks Poroshenko to stop marauding practiced by Ukrainian militants 19 December 2014, 17:43
- Bishops want more autonomy for Moscow-governed Belarusian Church 18 December 2014, 18:03
- Russian Church builds a cultural center in Hamburg for 5 mln euro 18 December 2014, 17:23
- Gadget users may soon turn in animals, will "snarl, peep and grunt" - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 18 December 2014, 17:05
- Orthodox believers insist on building a church in Moscow City instead of the Eye of Sauron 17 December 2014, 14:15
- NAC: Assaults, extortions are main sources financing religious extremists 16 December 2014, 13:24
- Terrorist leader, who killed imam, is among militants killed in Dagestan 15 December 2014, 18:09
- Serbian bishop condemns schismatics in Ukraine 15 December 2014, 17:58
- Islamic activists in Kyrgyzstan believe there should be no male obstetricians 15 December 2014, 10:09
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- National policy should focus on worthy support of Russian people - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 12 December 2014, 17:21
- World Russian People's Council states Ukraine practices tortures based on the CIA technique 12 December 2014, 13:28
- Over seventy Russian graves vandalized in Australian Orthodox cemetery 12 December 2014, 10:02
- Kremlin official slams violence against members of Moscow-ruled Orthodox Church in Ukraine 11 December 2014, 17:51
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Pope Francis invited to Kazakhstan 10 December 2014, 17:26
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes Nicholas II made a mistake when he joined World War I 09 December 2014, 17:21
- Chapel to commemorate perished home guards to be set up in Saur Mogila 09 December 2014, 14:35
- Orthodox church desecrated and robbed in west Ukraine 08 December 2014, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill prays for prevention of war between Russia, West 08 December 2014, 13:07
- DNR authorities accuse Kiev in purposeful shelling of churches 08 December 2014, 11:26
- Kadyrov: Family of Wahabis guilty of murder to be evicted from Chechnya 08 December 2014, 10:58
- Russian Supreme Court finds Jehovah's Witnesses' website to be extremist 05 December 2014, 10:09
- Russia should use the period of trial for making a break-through - Berel Lazar 05 December 2014, 10:05
- Crimea has sacral meaning for Russia - Putin 04 December 2014, 15:21