25 February 2011, 13:38
Russian Church says it remains independent of state
Moscow, February 25, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has flatly denied information that the Church is merging with the state in Russia.
"The Russian Church has never in its history been so independent of the state as it is now. It treasures this independence. However, it also treasures the dialogue that it has with the modern state. No doubt, this dialogue cannot be called easy, but it can be called constructive," Vladimir Legoyda, the head of the Synodal Information Department of the Moscow Patriarchate, said on Friday.
Legoyda said the fact that the Patriarch regularly meets with top Russian officials does not mean that the Church does not have "difficult conversations and problems in its dialogue with the authorities."
Legoyda said attempts are being made to make the Church "an opposition force and there are some political and public figures who will always be negative about the Patriarch and the Church until they start speaking negatively about the authorities." These people "do not fully understand what the Church is and what its purpose is," he said.
"They expect the Church to follow the logic of a political party, which in their opinion has to be an opposition party. However, the Church will never become a force that is in opposition to the administration. The Church had relations with the state even under the Soviets. Why shouldn't it have relations with the state now? However, what the Church has always done and will continue to do is to give a moral evaluation to the state of society and the actions taken by the authorities and politicians," Legoyda said.
- Constantinople official refused to participate in the cross procession of Ukrainian schismatics 29 July 2016, 14:55
- Turkey expects Kazakhstan to resolve problem of schools related to preacher Gulen 29 July 2016, 13:30
- Only Patriarch Bartholomew can help Orthodox Ukrainians unite - Poroshenko 29 July 2016, 10:18
- Baptizer of Russia set example for current world leaders - Patriarch Kirill 29 July 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill regrets that Ukrainians who prayed for people's unity during cross procession were suspected of political intent 28 July 2016, 16:37
- All-Ukrainian cross procession shows pan-European significance of Day of Christening of Rus - Russian Church 28 July 2016, 15:55
- Some 80,000 take part in religious procession in Kiev - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2016, 18:57
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russian Olympians not to yield to pressure 27 July 2016, 18:16
- Police detain several people with provocative posters during cross procession in Kiev 27 July 2016, 18:12
- Movements discrediting Islam hurt millions of innocent people – Rahmon 27 July 2016, 15:50
- The prayer on Vladimirskaya Gorka in Kiev had over 30,000 participants 27 July 2016, 15:15
- Human Rights Council attracts attention of international institutions to violations during procession with cross in Ukraine 27 July 2016, 14:41
- Sacred procession participants head from European Square in direction of Kiev Monastery of the Caves 27 July 2016, 14:39
- Russian Jews calls terrorist act in Rouen church 'terrific provocation' aimed at kindling religious hostility 27 July 2016, 14:28
- Opponents to the procession with cross mistakenly mocked at the 'Kiev Patriarchate' leader 27 July 2016, 14:25
- From 8,000 to 10,000 believers gathered on Vladimirskaya Gorka in Kiev 27 July 2016, 14:18
- Patriarch Kirill shocked by gruesome killing of Catholic priest in Rouen, wishes people of France peace and blessings 27 July 2016, 11:19
- Vandals damaged a crypt at the tomb of renowned rabbi in Ukraine 27 July 2016, 11:06
- Ukrainian authorities had no right to block cross procession - Moscow Patriarchate 27 July 2016, 10:56
- Sacred procession near Kiev comes to halt again over suspicious object 26 July 2016, 19:28
- Ukraine's Interior Ministry moves to stop procession of believers walking along Zhytomyr Highway, make them proceed on buses 26 July 2016, 18:55
- Azov militant sentenced to 6 years in custody for arson of a mosque in Crimea 26 July 2016, 18:51
- Patriarch Kirill believes Christian Orthodox world won't be split despite political ill-wishers 26 July 2016, 18:48
- Patriarch Kirill calls Russia's stance on Syria noble and honest 26 July 2016, 18:46
- Participants in sacred procession move to Kiev by foot despite calls of law enforcers to use buses 26 July 2016, 18:36
- Ukrainian National Police, National Guard block sacred procession along Kiev's streets - Interior minister 26 July 2016, 14:09
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry offers to move sacred procession in Kiev via buses for safety considerations 26 July 2016, 14:06
- Former Yukos shareholders no longer claim Russian land site in Paris - defense lawyers for Russia 25 July 2016, 17:18
- Opponents to procession of Ukrainian Orthodox Church block highway to Borispol 25 July 2016, 16:12
- Dushanbe asks Interpol to help catch banned Islamic party leader 22 July 2016, 16:00