03 March 2011, 12:55
It's irrelevant to discuss Islamic threat in view of Arab events - Orientalist
Moscow, March 3, Interfax - Director of the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences Vitaly Naumkin believes the Middle East situation may affect the Russian ummah's attitudes.
"The current North Africa events shall in no case give an example to Russian Muslim community. We are doubtfully facing the same social woes. It is much talked-about corruption which no one knows how to quash. It is the same unemployment in some regions, young people out of work, and red tape stranglehold which prevents young people from fulfillment," he states in an article published by NG Religii newspaper.
He poses a question "how does Islam come in here?"
"It is irrelevant to mention any contagious impact. The role of Islamists in the Middle East events tends to be exaggerated quite evidently. I believe it is counterproductive to shift responsibility for the North Caucuses situation on foreign Islamists circles," the article says.
According to Naumkin, "the events in the Arab countries are 100 percent based on social implications." He says Tunisia's Islamist movement is very weak and no religious trace has been noted there.
"Egypt's best established movement Brothers Muslims may have contributed to the situation there. But judging by the slogans carried by those crowds of people and the structure of this movement, Islamists are unlikely to play a key role there," he said.
As far as Libya is concerned, the events there are rooted in internal and intertribal relations "and in country's dissatisfaction with Gaddafi's regime, not mentioning such social decease as unemployment affecting 30 percent of the population."
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53
- One of 2 U.S. Mormons detained in southern Russia to be deported 07 March 2019, 14:44
- U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching 07 March 2019, 13:03
- Peskov couldn't confirm media reports on detention of 2 Mormons in southern Russia 06 March 2019, 12:54
- Russian Orthodox Church rep notes Christians' role in ending Cold War 05 March 2019, 17:54
- Some 30,000 people leaving Venezuela every day - U.S. preacher 05 March 2019, 17:24
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russian, U.S. Christians to work towards overcoming standoff 05 March 2019, 17:22
- Forecast re Russia's impending Islamization baseless - expert on Islamic studies 05 March 2019, 17:21
- Medvedev meets with Patriarch of Bulgaria 05 March 2019, 12:33
- Russian Council of Muftis head forecasts dramatic increase in number of Muslims in Russia 04 March 2019, 17:18