03 March 2011, 12:55
It's irrelevant to discuss Islamic threat in view of Arab events - Orientalist
Moscow, March 3, Interfax - Director of the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences Vitaly Naumkin believes the Middle East situation may affect the Russian ummah's attitudes.
"The current North Africa events shall in no case give an example to Russian Muslim community. We are doubtfully facing the same social woes. It is much talked-about corruption which no one knows how to quash. It is the same unemployment in some regions, young people out of work, and red tape stranglehold which prevents young people from fulfillment," he states in an article published by NG Religii newspaper.
He poses a question "how does Islam come in here?"
"It is irrelevant to mention any contagious impact. The role of Islamists in the Middle East events tends to be exaggerated quite evidently. I believe it is counterproductive to shift responsibility for the North Caucuses situation on foreign Islamists circles," the article says.
According to Naumkin, "the events in the Arab countries are 100 percent based on social implications." He says Tunisia's Islamist movement is very weak and no religious trace has been noted there.
"Egypt's best established movement Brothers Muslims may have contributed to the situation there. But judging by the slogans carried by those crowds of people and the structure of this movement, Islamists are unlikely to play a key role there," he said.
As far as Libya is concerned, the events there are rooted in internal and intertribal relations "and in country's dissatisfaction with Gaddafi's regime, not mentioning such social decease as unemployment affecting 30 percent of the population."
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about recent events in Russian-Ukrainian relations – spokesman 05 December 2018, 13:15
- SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated) 05 December 2018, 12:32
- SBU unit's behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media 05 December 2018, 11:45
- Unifying Orthodox assembly in Ukraine to be held on Dec 15 – Poroshenko (updated) 05 December 2018, 11:24
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04
- Organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses meetings indicted in Kamchatka 04 December 2018, 14:11