16 March 2011, 15:51
Up to 15 thsd Orthodox believers live in China
Moscow, March 16, Interfax - Head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk is concerned with position of Orthodox believers in China.
"Today China's Orthodox believers suffer from lack of priests and regular services. The Russian Orthodox Church as the Mother-Church is interested in restoring the Chinese Autonomous Church. At this stage our Church is ready to extend multilateral help to Chinese believers, first of all, to help Chinese priests appear," he said in his interview to the Vesti.ru website.
According to the hierarch, "while the number of Catholics and Protestants in modern China is growing, Orthodox believers of the country who have more than 300-year tradition unfortunately are deprived of a possibility to lead normal church life."
The metropolitan says that today China has up to 15 thousand Orthodox believers, who live in Beijing, Shanghai, Heilongjiang Province and autonomous districts Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia. The Chinese Orthodox Church has only two Chinese priests aged over 80.
The metropolitan mentioned that the Chinese side had earlier permitted a priest from Russia to celebrate Easter service for compatriots in Harbin Protection Church and expressed hope that practice of pastoral visits of Russian priests to China's Orthodox communities that lack their own priests, especially on Easter and Christmas, "will be preserved and spread to other cities."
The metropolitan also noted that Sts Peter and Paul Fellowship in Hong Kong has been translated Orthodox prayer books, texts of holy fathers and modern theological, ascetic and moral literature into Chinese for ten recent years.
- Russia has no plans to legalize polygamy - Mizulina 22 May 2015, 12:58
- Church insists on adopting the law excluding abortions from the system of compulsory medical insurance 22 May 2015, 12:47
- Patriarch Kirill speaks of Orthodox believers' contribution to the Victory and urges to keep it in memory 20 May 2015, 15:56
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin accuses enemies of traditional family of attacking Chechnya 20 May 2015, 10:22
- Polygamy prohibited in Russia; Kremlin not taking part in debate - Peskov 20 May 2015, 10:06
- Belarus seeks extradition of self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate priest suspected of fraud 19 May 2015, 15:17
- Bill cancelling mandatory health insurance coverage for abortions submitted to State Duma 19 May 2015, 10:42
- Dozens of priests leave Ukraine, 19 churches of Moscow Patriarchate seized - Russian Orthodox Church representative 18 May 2015, 18:15
- Qiwi denies participation in Islamic State financing schemes 18 May 2015, 17:57
- Over 80% of Russians against same-sex "marriages" 18 May 2015, 17:48
- Priests, opponents of same-sex relationships disrupt gay pride parade in Chisinau 18 May 2015, 11:56
- Head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for halt of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 15 May 2015, 17:52
- Tajik riot police commander may be fighting with Islamic State in Syria - sources 14 May 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Cuba 12 May 2015, 10:09
- UOC primate did not stand up to honor ATO participants in Rada 12 May 2015, 10:08
- Three religious organizations get warnings from Justice Ministry for breaches of legislation 08 May 2015, 17:20
- Xi Jinping praise Russian Church's role in fight against fascism 08 May 2015, 17:13
- Orthodox faith was the decisive factor for the Victory, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 08 May 2015, 15:13
- Night Wolves to pray in the Russian Cathedral in Berlin on Victory Day 08 May 2015, 10:00
- Another 19 Islamists convicted in Tajikistan 07 May 2015, 13:41
- The reason of Ukrainian conflict in degradation of ruling elites – Ukrainian Church 07 May 2015, 10:10
- The Victory in Great Patriotic War the God's miracle – Patriarch Kirill 07 May 2015, 10:02
- Ten Islamists jailed in Tajikistan 05 May 2015, 10:29
- Four Hizb ut-Tahrir members convicted of terror plot to blow up N. Novgorod shopping mall 05 May 2015, 10:22
- Patriarch Kirill grateful to Pope for considered stance on Ukraine, condemns Uniates 05 May 2015, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by Christianophobia in Europe 05 May 2015, 10:05
- Grande Duke Nikolay Nikolayevich, his spouse laid to rest at WWII Memorial chapel 05 May 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church sends 78 tonnes of food to southeastern Ukraine 30 April 2015, 18:21
- Preparations for All-Orthodox Council accompanied by intrigues - Patriarch Kirill 30 April 2015, 18:19
- Magic rite of 'charging' amulets for ATO participants to be held in Kiev 30 April 2015, 12:46