16 March 2011, 15:51
Up to 15 thsd Orthodox believers live in China
Moscow, March 16, Interfax - Head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk is concerned with position of Orthodox believers in China.
"Today China's Orthodox believers suffer from lack of priests and regular services. The Russian Orthodox Church as the Mother-Church is interested in restoring the Chinese Autonomous Church. At this stage our Church is ready to extend multilateral help to Chinese believers, first of all, to help Chinese priests appear," he said in his interview to the Vesti.ru website.
According to the hierarch, "while the number of Catholics and Protestants in modern China is growing, Orthodox believers of the country who have more than 300-year tradition unfortunately are deprived of a possibility to lead normal church life."
The metropolitan says that today China has up to 15 thousand Orthodox believers, who live in Beijing, Shanghai, Heilongjiang Province and autonomous districts Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia. The Chinese Orthodox Church has only two Chinese priests aged over 80.
The metropolitan mentioned that the Chinese side had earlier permitted a priest from Russia to celebrate Easter service for compatriots in Harbin Protection Church and expressed hope that practice of pastoral visits of Russian priests to China's Orthodox communities that lack their own priests, especially on Easter and Christmas, "will be preserved and spread to other cities."
The metropolitan also noted that Sts Peter and Paul Fellowship in Hong Kong has been translated Orthodox prayer books, texts of holy fathers and modern theological, ascetic and moral literature into Chinese for ten recent years.
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57