17 March 2011, 16:13
Patriarch Kirill urges Orthodox world to be more pro-active in overcoming conflicts in Arabic countries
Moscow, March 17, Interfax - Participation of Orthodox believers in overcoming contradictions in Arab countries should be more active, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia believes.
"It (recent developments in some Arabic countries - IF) is a problem not only for the Islamic community. Therefore, I believe the participation of Orthodox countries in overcoming the crises, which have arisen in Northern Africa and the Middle East, should be more pro-active," the Patriarch said at the reception at the Greek Embassy in Moscow dedicated to the Triumph of Orthodoxy.
He noted that "today, Northern Africa and the Middle East are also in upheaval and there are a considerable number of Orthodox people living there."
The Patriarch believes that the vocation of Orthodox Churches and Orthodox nations "is not to follow the lead of other's ideas but, proceeding from their own spiritual experience, to offer a fresh and attractive paradigm, among other things, for building the social life of people in international relations".
In his address to the guests, Greek Ambassador to the Russian Federation Michael Spinellis reminded that the Embassy had celebrated the Triumph of Orthodoxy and beginning of the Great Lent for 18 years.
He is convinced that the Orthodox Church is capable of defining the spiritual values "which can change our world and our society for the better".
"We speak about the rejection of violence and love of the neighbor, criticism of the consumerist way of life and acceptance of spiritual values, appreciation of the traits characteristic of each member of society, respect for any faith or ideology which respect human dignity, moral principles and humanistic achievements," he said.
According to Spinellis, in the world "shaken by violence and instability" with its atmosphere of "continual changes and unknown future", both countries rely "on the foundation of the Church and Orthodox traditions, which, throughout the past centuries, have faced and overcome difficulties much more tragic than manifestations of violence within a country or economic crises, thus ensuring for our nations survival, stability, welfare and cultural and historical prosperity".
The Triumph of Orthodoxy is celebrated on the first Sunday of Great Lent to commemorate the final defeat of Iconoclasm and the restoration of the icons to the churches.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42