17 March 2011, 16:13
Patriarch Kirill urges Orthodox world to be more pro-active in overcoming conflicts in Arabic countries
Moscow, March 17, Interfax - Participation of Orthodox believers in overcoming contradictions in Arab countries should be more active, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia believes.
"It (recent developments in some Arabic countries - IF) is a problem not only for the Islamic community. Therefore, I believe the participation of Orthodox countries in overcoming the crises, which have arisen in Northern Africa and the Middle East, should be more pro-active," the Patriarch said at the reception at the Greek Embassy in Moscow dedicated to the Triumph of Orthodoxy.
He noted that "today, Northern Africa and the Middle East are also in upheaval and there are a considerable number of Orthodox people living there."
The Patriarch believes that the vocation of Orthodox Churches and Orthodox nations "is not to follow the lead of other's ideas but, proceeding from their own spiritual experience, to offer a fresh and attractive paradigm, among other things, for building the social life of people in international relations".
In his address to the guests, Greek Ambassador to the Russian Federation Michael Spinellis reminded that the Embassy had celebrated the Triumph of Orthodoxy and beginning of the Great Lent for 18 years.
He is convinced that the Orthodox Church is capable of defining the spiritual values "which can change our world and our society for the better".
"We speak about the rejection of violence and love of the neighbor, criticism of the consumerist way of life and acceptance of spiritual values, appreciation of the traits characteristic of each member of society, respect for any faith or ideology which respect human dignity, moral principles and humanistic achievements," he said.
According to Spinellis, in the world "shaken by violence and instability" with its atmosphere of "continual changes and unknown future", both countries rely "on the foundation of the Church and Orthodox traditions, which, throughout the past centuries, have faced and overcome difficulties much more tragic than manifestations of violence within a country or economic crises, thus ensuring for our nations survival, stability, welfare and cultural and historical prosperity".
The Triumph of Orthodoxy is celebrated on the first Sunday of Great Lent to commemorate the final defeat of Iconoclasm and the restoration of the icons to the churches.
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58