21 March 2011, 12:14
Russian Church urges Catholics to organize missionary "attack" on Europe
*** Its official points out Orthodox-Catholic relations have recently improved
Moscow, March 21, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate urged the Catholic Church to strategic alliance.
"Orthodox and Catholic need to take each other not as competitors but as allies in protecting rights of Christians. We have shared field of missionary work - modern Europe that has lost its religious, moral and cultural roots," head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk said speaking at the 4th International Congress in Wurzburg (Germany).
He believes that "future of Christianity in the third millennium depends" on joint efforts of Orthodox and Catholics.
The Metropolitan noted that good will of the both sides helped reach "real positive results in normalization of Orthodox-Catholic relations in recent years."
"Especially significant changes in this direction have happened after election of Pope Benedict XVI of Rome in 2005 as he knows the Orthodox Church very well. Today, for example, we don't see aggressive proselyte activity of Catholics in our territory that took place in early 90s," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
"Orthodox and Catholics face the same challenges cast by modern epoch to the traditional life style. Here it's not the matter of theological issues, but present and future of human community is in question. It's the sphere where Orthodox and Catholic can cooperate without any harm to their church identity," the hierarch said.
He called this form of interaction "a strategic alliance."
It includes joint efforts taken to affirm in society Christian ideas of family, marriage, bringing up children, value of human life from conception to death. Other direction of possible interaction which becomes more actual is "protection of Christians from discrimination," the hierarch said.
- Georgian Orthodox Christian activists hold protest rally on Pope Francis' route 30 September 2016, 16:18
- Pope Francis begins visit to Tbilisi 30 September 2016, 15:58
- Hearing into appeals contesting ex-Moscow Patriarchate employee's conviction postponed until Oct 5 30 September 2016, 12:52
- Nothing threatens Grozovsky's life in prison, priests visit him once a week - sources 30 September 2016, 12:45
- Aggression of Greek-Catholics should become the main topic in Orthodox-Catholic dialogue - Metropolitan Hilarion 30 September 2016, 11:35
- Hizb ut-Tahrir cell's activity suppressed in Tatarstan 30 September 2016, 10:04
- The USA prevented Ukraine from overcoming schism - UOC official 29 September 2016, 17:52
- Lawyers for former Yukos shareholders announce plans to stop attempts to suspend construction of Russian cultural center in Paris (updated) 29 September 2016, 14:58
- Azerbaijani president calls for fight against xenophobia and Islamophobia 29 September 2016, 10:31
- Patriarch Kirill signs a petition calling to ban abortions in Russia 28 September 2016, 12:35
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate has twice as many parishes as two schismatic organizations together 28 September 2016, 11:37
- A bomb was used to sabotage the Congress of Orthodox women in Ukraine 27 September 2016, 15:02
- Bell ringing of the Russian cathedral is spread over the center of Paris 27 September 2016, 12:16
- Red paint poured onto the monument to Holy Prince Vladimir in Kiev 27 September 2016, 12:02
- Twenty churches destroyed in Aleppo during the war 26 September 2016, 15:28
- The Russian Church is concerned with new books containing "revolutionary biographies" of Christ 26 September 2016, 14:16
- The Russian Church official speaks about Vatican's unwillingness to discuss the problem of Greek-Catholics in Ukraine 26 September 2016, 13:17
- Rabbi Lazar urges to learn lessons from Babi Yar and stop terrorism 26 September 2016, 12:14
- Most threats to Islamic world exist inside Muslim community - Kazakh foreign minister 26 September 2016, 11:11
- Politicians stand in way of Orthodox unification in Ukraine - head of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 23 September 2016, 17:46
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes monks for their passion for luxury 22 September 2016, 16:47
- Court prolongs until mid December arrest of MSU student accused of attempt to join ISIL 22 September 2016, 15:28
- Russian chapel consecrated at a Syrian airbase 22 September 2016, 12:03
- Georgia's Orthodox Parents protest against pope visit 21 September 2016, 14:58
- The Russian Church accuses Ukrainian Greek-Catholics of attacks against it 21 September 2016, 13:46
- Russian citizen who received training in ISIL jihadist camps detained in Tatarstan 21 September 2016, 13:43
- Orthodox believers of New York send a container with humanitarian aid to Donbass 21 September 2016, 12:51
- Renowned German political expert believes Christianity is a foundation of European future 21 September 2016, 10:01
- Some 300,000 Russian pilgrims visit Israel in space of year - Patriarch Kirill 20 September 2016, 14:52
- Russian Supreme Court outlaws Aum Shinrikyo 20 September 2016, 12:00