26 April 2011, 14:16
Activist says Moscow authorities authorized gay rally
Moscow, April 26, Interfax - Moscow gay pride parade organizer Nikolay Alexeyev says the Moscow authorities have for the first time authorized a gay rally in Moscow's Bolotnaya Square.
"The Moscow government told the Moscow gay pride parade organizers on Tuesday that the Moscow authorities have authorized a gay pride parade in Moscow," Alexeyev said in a statement released in Moscow.
The organizers notified the Moscow government and the Moscow traffic police of their intention to hold a gay pride parade on April 12, he said.
The rally entitled "Moscow Gay Pride Parade: Homosexuality in the History of World Culture and Civilization" will take place on May 28, Alexeyev said.
The Moscow authorities have suggested reducing number of the rally participants to 500, which was done, he said.
"The purpose of the rally will be to provide society with objective information on the history of the attitude towards homosexuality in culture and science, on the contribution made by prominent gay people to culture and art, and role of prominent culture figures and artists in the protection of the lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and transsexuals," Alexeyev said.
The Moscow authorities have not authorized such rallies since 2006 and any attempts to hold a gay pride parade in Moscow have been curbed by the police.
"Gay pride parades were banned by the Moscow administration under Yury Luzhkov," Alexeyev said.
- Russian Emergency Ministry will provide fire-fighting equipment to Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem 24 January 2017, 15:33
- Kadyrov Foundation to restore world famous mosque in Aleppo 24 January 2017, 14:37
- Believers urge to make Orthodox Nativity a day-off in USA 24 January 2017, 14:07
- FJCR welcomes nomination of the Bulgarian Church to the Nobel Peace Prize 23 January 2017, 18:29
- Russian Church welcomes the Education Minister's initiative on bringing back elements of the Soviet educational system 23 January 2017, 15:02
- Trump's inauguration speech was a manifest of return to conservative values, the FJCR official believes 23 January 2017, 14:26
- Former apostolic nuncio to Russia who made a breakthrough in Orthodox-Catholic dialogue transferred to Vatican 23 January 2017, 10:09
- Salekhard administration bans gay pride parade on Polar Circle 20 January 2017, 11:53
- Divers discover a Douglas and three air bombs of World War II when preparing to Epiphany bathing in the Black Sea 20 January 2017, 11:37
- Project of the Moscow Tolerance Center to 2018 World Cup presented in Davos 20 January 2017, 11:05
- Churches belonging to Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine attacked 13 times over past year 19 January 2017, 15:45
- Arctic Ocean sanctified in northern Yakutia in Epiphany night 19 January 2017, 11:52
- Over 1.8 mln people took part in Epiphany bathing in Russia 19 January 2017, 11:24
- Russian Orthodox Church clergy to sanctify waters of two oceans for Epiphany 18 January 2017, 18:12
- Hajj quota enlarged by more than third for Uzbek Muslims 18 January 2017, 13:07
- Arc containing relics of saints who died for faith under Soviets to be carried across Russia to mark 100th anniversary of October Revolution 18 January 2017, 13:06
- Patriarch Kirill caught cold and won't participate in Epiphany celebrations 17 January 2017, 18:56
- Russian Orthodox Church will actively participate in restoring Syrian shrines 17 January 2017, 15:46
- FJCR outraged by televiewers' vote, who called ISIL supporter "Person of the Week" 16 January 2017, 18:11
- Moscow Patriarchate church in Kiev pelted with Molotov cocktails 16 January 2017, 15:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia head to take pilgrimage to Russia on occasion of 100th anniversary of October Revolution 11 January 2017, 16:35
- Abortions banned for one day in the Yaroslavl Region to commemorate the Bethlehem babies 11 January 2017, 15:35
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Syria 09 January 2017, 16:36
- Azerbaijan has no plans to join Islamic military bloc so far 09 January 2017, 14:41
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Hungary 09 January 2017, 10:57
- Putin's Christmas message notes Russian Orthodox Church's role in preserving civil peace, accord 09 January 2017, 10:50
- Lenin should be buried, but the most important is not to inflict harm, the Russian church official believes 06 January 2017, 16:22
- Church will release results of the Yekaterinburg relics expertise by the second quarter of 2017 06 January 2017, 16:20
- Moscow Center of Tolerance carries out international children action to back up migrants 06 January 2017, 15:54
- Rabbi Lazar condemns Soviet past, calls to bury body of Lenin 06 January 2017, 15:53