29 April 2011, 17:45
No delays expected in building 200 new Orthodox churches in Moscow - mayor
Moscow, April 29, Interfax - Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin has assured there will be no delays in the implementation of a program for building 200 new Orthodox churches in Moscow.
"There will be no problems and delays. Now it's necessary to switch to the practical phase in designing and building churches," Sobyanin said at a meeting of the board of trustees of the Church Construction Support Fund in Moscow on Friday.
Fifteen plots of land have been passed to the Russian Orthodox Church, and a decision on allotting five more plots for building churches was made recently. In addition, active work is under way on 80 more plots, and the city land department has endorsed their boundaries, he said.
"I think we should lay the foundations and start the construction of at least eight or nine churches this year. We should also decide on who is going to sponsor the construction," he said.
Meanwhile, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia pins great hopes to the program for the construction of 200 pre-fabricated Orthodox churches in Moscow.
"Two hundred churches will not fully solve the problem, but they will change the situation radically, because we will have the chance to work with the people living within walking distance from the churches," the Patriarch said at the meeting.
Moscow can set a standard for regions in this respect, and "if we manage to implement this program, this will change the entire religious image of Russia," he said.
Moscow is "on the last place in terms of the ratio between the number of churches and the number of Orthodox believers," the latter totaling 89.7% of Russia's population, according to the Patriarch. This ratio in Moscow is one church per 35,000 people on average, and in certain districts it is one church per 150,000 to 200,000 people. During religious holidays, especially Epiphany and Christmas, over 100,000 people a day pass through one Moscow church, he said.
- Russia issued seven warnings over inciting national and religious enmity in 2014 23 April 2014, 15:36
- Yatsenyuk has yet to decide whether he will go to the Vatican 23 April 2014, 10:00
- Lukashenko cites Bible during address, calls for national unity 22 April 2014, 14:36
- Leader of the Ukrainian Union of Orthodox citizens is proclaimed people’s president of Novorossia Republic 21 April 2014, 18:09
- No religious fanatics ever existed in Kazakhstan - Nazarbayev 18 April 2014, 17:14
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04