29 April 2011, 17:45
No delays expected in building 200 new Orthodox churches in Moscow - mayor
Moscow, April 29, Interfax - Moscow Mayor Sergey Sobyanin has assured there will be no delays in the implementation of a program for building 200 new Orthodox churches in Moscow.
"There will be no problems and delays. Now it's necessary to switch to the practical phase in designing and building churches," Sobyanin said at a meeting of the board of trustees of the Church Construction Support Fund in Moscow on Friday.
Fifteen plots of land have been passed to the Russian Orthodox Church, and a decision on allotting five more plots for building churches was made recently. In addition, active work is under way on 80 more plots, and the city land department has endorsed their boundaries, he said.
"I think we should lay the foundations and start the construction of at least eight or nine churches this year. We should also decide on who is going to sponsor the construction," he said.
Meanwhile, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia pins great hopes to the program for the construction of 200 pre-fabricated Orthodox churches in Moscow.
"Two hundred churches will not fully solve the problem, but they will change the situation radically, because we will have the chance to work with the people living within walking distance from the churches," the Patriarch said at the meeting.
Moscow can set a standard for regions in this respect, and "if we manage to implement this program, this will change the entire religious image of Russia," he said.
Moscow is "on the last place in terms of the ratio between the number of churches and the number of Orthodox believers," the latter totaling 89.7% of Russia's population, according to the Patriarch. This ratio in Moscow is one church per 35,000 people on average, and in certain districts it is one church per 150,000 to 200,000 people. During religious holidays, especially Epiphany and Christmas, over 100,000 people a day pass through one Moscow church, he said.
- Lavrov meets with Orthodox monastery abbess in Guatemala 27 March 2015, 10:46
- Pilot Savchenko’s files contain information about torturing a priest 26 March 2015, 19:25
- Kolomoisky's resignation is the sign of Ukraine's growing dependence on the West, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 26 March 2015, 18:26
- Russians trained by ISIL may be used against home country 26 March 2015, 15:08
- Kyrgyzstan outlaws Islamic State 25 March 2015, 15:36
- Chechen leader, Jordanian king discuss fight against IS 25 March 2015, 10:00
- Moscow Patriarchate priest assaulted in west Ukraine 24 March 2015, 10:00
- Ukrainians trust Church the most - poll 23 March 2015, 17:22
- Over 5,000 mercenaries from CIS fight on ISIS side - expert 23 March 2015, 16:15
- Schoolchildren from Turkey, Italy, Egypt to discuss fight against religious extremism in St. Petersburg 23 March 2015, 12:57
- Uzbekistan worried about ISIL activity near its borders 23 March 2015, 12:19
- Patriarch Kirill awards Lavrov 23 March 2015, 11:28
- Chubais doubts Nemtsov murder motivated by religious hatred 23 March 2015, 10:15
- IS recruiters targeting North Caucasus students - envoy Melikov 23 March 2015, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- The Russian Church conveys twenty five tones of humanitarian help to Donbass residents 20 March 2015, 14:41
- Another Moscow Patriarchate church seized in Ukraine 20 March 2015, 10:00
- Leader of women's wing of Hizb ut-Tahrir detained, arms cache discovered in south Kyrgyzstan 19 March 2015, 10:02
- Head of the Russian State Archive suggests to exhume remains of the tzar family to examine them again 18 March 2015, 16:28
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- Fire in Novodevichy Convent bell tower did not damage building 16 March 2015, 13:42
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Patriarch Kirill tried the role of a schoolboy at the Moscow Region Gymnasium 13 March 2015, 17:14
- Fire in bell tower of Nizhny Novgorod cathedral extinguished 12 March 2015, 17:42
- Church to help mortgage debtors settle their problems and asks authorities not to leave them in the lurch 12 March 2015, 16:53
- Russia to import halal meat to Arab countries 12 March 2015, 13:25
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral burning in Nizhny Novgorod 12 March 2015, 12:54
- Famous Uzbek Islamic theologian dies in gym 12 March 2015, 10:26
- Court drops case against Novosibirsk opera theater director 12 March 2015, 10:07