30 May 2011, 16:27
Church grateful to city authorities for preventing Moscow gay parade
Moscow, May 30, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church is grateful to the Moscow city authorities and law enforcers for preventing a gay parade attempted in the city last Saturday.
Responding to questions from Interfax-Religion on Monday, head of the Synodal Department for Church and Society Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said the authorities "quite politely prevented an instance of propaganda of homosexuality which could have been witnessed by children and teenagers who crowded the two venues of the action."
He expressed hope that in the future the authorities of Russia and Moscow in similar cases "will listen to the voice of their own people, the majority of whom do not accept the propaganda of homosexuality, instead of foreign pressure that was exerted before the action and continues now."
The clergyman said that on the basis "of an absolutely clear moral choice of the people" Russia can restrict any propaganda actions. "I am deeply convinced of that. International organizations and especially the governments of countries with whom we have different histories and different social systems should realize that," Father Vsevolod said.
"One should not respond to illegal actions by other illegal actions," he added.
"Orthodox Christians had the right to peaceful protest and as far as I know the protest was mainly peaceful. People expressed their attitude toward the developments, said that homosexuality is a sin and that society must stop its propaganda. I am sure that any Orthodox Christian thinks so. The fact that some of them expressed their opinion out loud is right and natural," he said.
He found the beatings on Saturday regrettable.
Moreover, he admitted that he had never heard of the Orthodox Brotherhood blamed for the beatings. "It is the first time that I have heard about such an organization. I wonder whether it was set up for provocative purposes," Father Vsevolod assumed.
Over 60 people were detained in Moscow on Saturday during an attempted gay parade and a protest against it.
- Vandals paint anti-Russian inscription on a church wall in Kiev 02 October 2015, 16:07
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Renowned representative of the Russians Abroad is ready to give blood of Nicholas nephew for expertise 02 October 2015, 15:33
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Russian church constructed in Munich listed among most important architectural buildings 30 September 2015, 16:59
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Tajik Supreme Court bans Party of Islamic Renaissance 29 September 2015, 16:55
- There is not sexual minorities problem in Russia, this is a tool of attacking Moscow - Putin 29 September 2015, 10:06
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- Tajik prosecutors ask court to ban Islamic Party 28 September 2015, 17:04
- Cross set up at the bottom of the Black Sea in Sevastopol 28 September 2015, 15:59
- Remains of Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna may be included in royal family inquiry - Russian Investigative Committee 28 September 2015, 10:01
- Research on tsarist family assassination case goes on actively - senior criminal investigator 25 September 2015, 16:37
- Construction of mosque begins in Simferopol 25 September 2015, 14:31
- Access to Children-404 group blocked for VKontakte users on Russian territory following Roskomnadzor decision 25 September 2015, 12:44
- Kirov police launch 'homosexuality propaganda' case against Apple at local lawyer's request 25 September 2015, 11:46
- Moscow hopes Saudi Arabia to ensure safety of Russian pilgrims 25 September 2015, 10:02
- Patriarch Kirill grieves over pilgrims' deaths in Saudi Arabia 25 September 2015, 10:01
- West should learn from Russia to accept Muslim refugees - Patriarch Kirill 24 September 2015, 17:28
- Moscow hopes Saudi Arabia to ensure safety of Russian pilgrims 24 September 2015, 17:26
- Crown Prince Alexey and his sister Maria may be buried on October 18 - head of State Archive 24 September 2015, 16:38
- Tajik authorities accuse Islamic Party of preparing terrorist attacks, 13 members of its political council arrested 24 September 2015, 16:22
- Putin expresses his condolences upon death of many pilgrims in Saudi Arabia - Kremlin 24 September 2015, 16:16
- Russia's Muslims will promote development of inter-ethnic, interreligious dialogue - Putin 24 September 2015, 15:25
- Russian investigators not doubting authenticity of Nicholas II remains, new tests requested by Russian Church - Markin 24 September 2015, 14:04
- Samples for new DNA tests as part of Russian royal family murder inquiry delivered to Moscow 24 September 2015, 10:01
- Exhumation of remains of the Romanovs completed in St. Petersburg (updated) 23 September 2015, 19:33
- Genetic studies related to death of royal family will be conducted in Russia 23 September 2015, 19:18