06 June 2011, 18:01
First Russian church built in Arabian Peninsula
Moscow, June 6, Interfax - The domes of the Russian Orthodox Church of the Philip the Apostle in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates, have been crowned with golden crosses.
It is the only Russian church to have been built in the United Arab Emirates and in the whole of the Arabian Peninsula, and the only one to have been crowned with golden crosses, the Moscow Patriarchate said on its website.
The crosses were sanctified by the senior priest of the Russian Orthodox parish, Father Alexander (Zarkeshev).
The five crosses and nine stars with a golden titanium-nitride coating, were designed by architect Yury Kirs and made in Russia before they were airlifted to Sharjah.
This centerpiece of the Orthodox community in the United Arab Emirates has emerged on personal orders from the Sharjah ruler, Sultan bin Mohammed Al-Qasimi. The Orthodox church compound encompasses, besides the pentagonal church, a three-storied building which houses a cultural and educational center.
The stone for the stone-laying ceremony was sanctified by the then Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad and now Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia on September 9, 2007.
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50
- Group of Hizb ut-Tahrir propagandists detained in Kyrgyzstan 07 April 2014, 16:18
- Patriarch Kirill compares events in Ukraine to 1917 revolution 07 April 2014, 15:30
- Cross set up, prayer said in North Pole 07 April 2014, 11:03
- Georgia's ancient capital Mtskheta becomes holy city 07 April 2014, 10:04
- Court invalidates ban on gay events in Kostroma 04 April 2014, 15:54
- Moscow City Court mitigates sentence for Pussy Riot members 04 April 2014, 13:06
- Media review: "The Pan-Orthodox Council, Ukraine Crisis and Christian Unity. An interview with Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev of Volokolamsk, the chairman of the Russian Orthodox Department of External Church Relations" 04 April 2014, 12:19
- Extremist from Tajikistan sentenced to 17 years for bomb plot in Stavropol 04 April 2014, 10:13
- Forces of light and dark struggle in Crimea - spiritual guide of the Black Fleet 04 April 2014, 10:10