04 July 2011, 10:47
Russians consider homosexuality immoral and lack of morality a significant loss of reform years, sociologists say
Moscow, July 4, Interfax - Today Russians consider moral decay one of the greatest losses the society suffered for the years of reforms.
Such a conclusion was made by authors of the Russian Sociological Research Twenty years of reforms through Russians' eyes held by the Sociological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences in all country's territorial and economical districts, in Moscow and St.Petersburg among 1750 respondents aged 18 and older.
Moral decay occupies the second or the third place in a "rating of losses", 32% of respondents mentioned it. The participants in the poll equaled moral decay to such acute problems of modern Russia as lack of proper order in the country and growth of corruption (also the second and the third place) and only slightly concedes to the rating's leader - fall of living standards (46%).
According to the document posted at the institute website, decay of public morality is considered "one of the most pronounced negative processes of the both decades."
"However, if in 1990s the decay of moral climate in society conceded, for example, to the fall of living standards, then in 2000s public morality became the main "leader" of negative changes, leaving behind such negative events of the period as crisis in social sphere (medicine, education, culture), situation in legal and law-enforcement agencies, inter-ethnic relations, living standards," sociologists stated.
Russians say they oppose most of deeds and events that are usually considered immoral or at least not ethic. Among absolute tabus - drug addiction, homosexual relations, using sexual relations for mercenary purposes (90%, 87% and 77% of respondents correspondingly).
According to the poll authors, today most moral norms are much more actual than ten years ago and especially if compared to 1990s. The results of the poll compared to the results of 1997 and 2001 shows that the number of those who oppose most actions and deeds traditionally considered immoral has grown.
First of all, it refers to drug addiction (from 79% to 90-91%), homosexuality (from 49% to 87%), using of sexual relations for mercenary purposes (from 71% to 77%), tax evasion (from 45% to 67%).
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarch Kirill of Moscow might meet with Pope Francis, no date, venue planned so far (updated) 06 December 2021, 17:54
- Most Russians say mocking church, national history, customs of other peoples unacceptable – poll 06 December 2021, 12:26
- Matviyenko views push for LGBT agenda, other alien values as unacceptable 06 December 2021, 11:10
- Russian Church believes that Russia's foreign enemies behind anti-vaxxer campaign in country 06 December 2021, 10:08
- Lawyers for defrocked priest Sergy to appeal conviction 30 November 2021, 18:13
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy sentenced to 3.5 years in prison (updated) 30 November 2021, 17:16
- Patriarch Kirill believes that the Kingdom of Heaven is bigger than cosmos 30 November 2021, 11:18
- Jews of Russia against celebrating Hanukkah together with Christmas in mixed families 30 November 2021, 11:12
- The anti-Covid restrictions on Hanukkah in Russia have been slightly relaxed 30 November 2021, 11:02
- Hermitage cat Seraphima goes to work in the Peter and Paul Cathedral 30 November 2021, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill invited to Kazakhstan to Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions 26 November 2021, 16:18
- Some "missionaries" of an extremist organization banned in the Russia convicted in Saratov 26 November 2021, 16:14
- The head of Belarusian Orthodox Church urged to treat migrants as "aliens" 24 November 2021, 15:39
- Rabbi Lazar concerned that the pandemic sometimes considered a Jewish conspiracy 24 November 2021, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill describes ecclesiastical split in Ukraine as his personal woe 22 November 2021, 19:33
- Covid-19 pandemic won't last long, but will allow humanity to critically assess its capabilities - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 16:52
- Patriarch Kirill views Russia as leader of free world 22 November 2021, 16:35
- Russian Orthodox Church denies U.S. claims of violations of religious freedom in Russia 22 November 2021, 11:05
- Problem of church schism in Ukraine may be resolved through dialogue - Patriarch Kirill 22 November 2021, 11:02
- Putin bestows Order of St. Andrew on Patriarch Kirill, notes highest regard to him in Russia, abroad 22 November 2021, 10:54
- Jehovah's Witnesses elders detained in Russia's Astrakhan Region 18 November 2021, 16:45
- Court in Moscow fines Muz-TV 1 mln rubles for propaganda of homosexuality among minors 17 November 2021, 15:40
- Website of Side by Side festival blocked for forming positive attitude toward LGBT content 17 November 2021, 15:38
- Imam and one more person killed in Dagestani village shooting 12 November 2021, 20:25
- Prosecution service detects justification of terrorism, extremism in materials of Memorial human rights center 12 November 2021, 17:59
- Cell of Nurjular extremist organization, banned in Russia, shut down in Tatarstan 12 November 2021, 17:09
- The Russian synagogues didn't turn off the lights until morning In memory of the Kristallnacht 10 November 2021, 10:14
- Russian PM satisfied with Pope's attitude to Moscow's views on int'l issues 09 November 2021, 21:55
- MP does not rule out eventual genomic registration of all Russians 04 November 2021, 10:29
- Russian Church warns against turning vaccination into factor of national division 02 November 2021, 19:55