14 July 2011, 13:42
Parishioners of Russian cathedral in Nice ask to abolish admission fee to the church
*** They anticipate new collapse in the cathedral
Moscow, July 14, Interfax - Parishioners of St.Nicholas Cathedral in Nice say they disagree with the existing practice of admission fee to the church.
"The vast majority of visitors are Russian believers who don't regard this church as a museum, but they come to pray. They are outraged with the practice when they have to pay for coming to God's church," parishioners told Interfax-Religion.
Adults have to pay three euros, students and groups of more than 10 people - two euros, children under 12 and disabled people can enter free of charge. Daily income of former church owners (community of the Constantinople Patriarchate still administers the cathedral - IF) is, according to parishioners' information, about 2 thousand euro.
Interviewees of the agency also pointed out to another aspect of the problem: when Europeans visit the church and pay for entrance they consider their visit as cultural event, they are dressed in shorts and T-shirts, they lack "awing of a person who comes to a holy place."
Besides, parishioners are concerned with the state of the cathedral.
As was reported late in June, a big piece of plaster fell down from cathedral nave. Miraculously, nobody was injured. The church was closed for visitors, but later it was opened again. Consequences of the collapse were eliminated and high-scalers cleaned up other dangerous places of the church.
"However, nobody knows where the next collapse will take place as the building is really very shabby and it will meet its hundredth anniversary in 2012 in such a poor for a royal cathedral condition," parishioners say.
Fungus destroys fresco with the Icon of the Mother of God of the Sign above the altar and flower ornaments on the cathedral walls.
Parishioners urged to appoint Russia's responsible representative who will have keys of the cathedral and watch everything that is going on there.
Chief of the Kremlin's Property Management Department Vladimir Kozhin recently visited Nice, his press secretary Viktor Khrekov told Interfax-Religion.
"The visit's aim was to clear out what steps to take to transfer the cathedral to Russia's ownership. There was a meeting with Nice mayor where they discussed questions of maintaining and reconstruction of the object," he said.
This May, appellation court of Aix-en-Provence (France) decided that Russia is the owner of St.Nicholas Cathedral. Commenting the decision, Khrekov then told the agency that "work on returning Russian property will go on," and in case the final decision is taken and all formalities are settled the Property Management Department "will take the cathedral on its balance and take corresponding decisions taking into account interests of the believers."
Commenting on the unwillingness of current community to transfer the church to Russia, Khrekov said that they "earn money" using the cathedral.
"People sell tickets and, on various estimations, earn up to million euro a year," he said explaining that divine services are conducted in the church, but at the same time it is used as an "object of tourist business."
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48