28 July 2011, 17:21
Federal Migration Service assists Old Believers resettlement from South America
Moscow, July 28, Interfax - The Federal Migration Service has assisted the resettlement of several families of Russian Old Believers from Bolivia to the Primorye Territory.
"The Old Believers, who have never been to Russia, communicate in the language of a Siberian village, the same as their ancestors did hundreds of years ago. They strictly obey Russian customs and rites and 100-year-old traditions," says a report posted on the ministry website.
Nine adults and 21 children came from Bolivia. They took part in the state and regional programs of assistance to voluntary resettlement of compatriots from abroad.
"The arrival of this Old Believers group to the Primorye Territory is just the beginning. Other Russian Old Believers in Bolivia have the same plans," the service said.
The first four families of Old Believers resettled from South America to the village of Kofrovka in the Ussuriysk District of the Primorye Territory in February 2011.
The service told Interfax in April 2009 that about 500 Old Believers living in Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Brazil and some other South American countries had taken an interest in the resettlement program.
Old Believers separated from the Russian Orthodox Church as a protest against church reforms introduced by Patriarch Nikon. They emigrated from Russia in the late 17th - early 18th century following the church split and the persecution of Old Believers by secular and church authorities.
- Pope Francis dealing with issue of release of Ukrainian national guardsman convicted in Italy - Zelensky 05 June 2020, 20:52
- Yakutsk City Court finds hospitalization of shaman Gabyshev legal 05 June 2020, 19:47
- Rabbi Lazar believes 'difficulties' not a Kosher notion 05 June 2020, 12:37
- Crimea court increases sentence earlier handed to a Jehovah's Witness, replacing fine with six years in jail 05 June 2020, 10:00
- Ukraine to allow church services indoors on June 5 03 June 2020, 15:39
- Case involving organization of Jehovah's Witnesses group being investigated in Moscow Region 03 June 2020, 13:47
- Shaman Gabyshev involuntarily committed for indefinite period - rights activists 02 June 2020, 19:40
- World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language 02 June 2020, 18:27
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 (updated) 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22